Choate rifle stocks.

d2admin

Administrator
Anyone using these? A friend mentioned wanting to get one and I thought I would try and get the inside scoop.

What do they weigh? how do they handle?
I personaly like a thumbhole, yet I like a light handy rifle more.
Any suggestions?

Craig:

I currently use the Choate Varmint with a Rem 700 BDL action, Hart Bull 26" barrel in 7mmRMag. I did not choose to use the Tactical - just because! The stock is just south of 4 lbs with full alum bed. It works fine on a bench or in the field. I would definately recommend that one use a smaller standard barrel. This would make it lighter (less nose heavy) and far easier to use in the field. The pistol grip is a clean fit for me for bench or field, but I'm biased as I also use an AR for Coyotes. It can be counter balanced, but why add more weight, use a skinney barrel.

As a comparison, I also use the McMillan A3 Tactical on my 300 WMag. Personally I like them both, but for a field gun the Choate probably has a slight edge (weight -1 lb).

All of the adjustments for cheek, shoulder, LOP all help to make the gun fit you for whatever application that you want to use it.

Anyhow, I wanted to throw in my $.02....

3032.jpg

Craig. . .

Here's a photo of my tactical rifle wearing one of the Choate stocks.

This stock is heavy and makes a heavy rifle way too heavy to be carrying around all day. But it is one stable platform for any good barreled action. The pistol grip is made for super big hands so many people have them worked down some.

Great stocks, but if you want a light rifle - you certainly don't want one of these. Seems to me that the stock weights something like 5 to 8 pounds by itself.

Hope this helps you make up your mind...
wink.gif

------------------
yotewalk.gif

http://www.predatormasters.com

[This message has been edited by AzWill (edited 04-16-2001).]

(That ain't Will's workbench, that's his living room! Awesome decorating, huh? i love it! Hahahha, just kidding)

------------------
View

Thank you Will for the picture, I am humbled by your loading room. We are not worthy,, you need one of those little smiley things for a bow!

Next question, I see that you have the tactical stock, they also make a varmint version I believe.
I wonder if the varmint version is any lighter ?

Shotgun I see that you have already answered my question, I apologize for not paying more attention. Thanks for the info, both of you.
Craig.

[This message has been edited by Craig Hamilton (edited 04-17-2001).]

Craig, I have an Ultimate Sniper on a Rem 700, 26 in Douglas extra heavy varmint, 22-250 AI, 18 lbs, very stable,recoil almost nonexistant, but thinking of bolting a skateboard to the monster. The stock is fully adjustable to the individual, very comfortable and makes for a very accurate package, but definitely a specialized sporting arm.

Back