Camo

Skinny Shooter

Was out last Sunday again to try for coyotes. We were hunting a powerline cut thru heavy timber and it was a no go. Had the camera along because I needed to take some images for a website. The rifles were not camo-ed on purpose and the backgrounds were chosen so you had a visual idea of what the camo looks like. One of these days we may actually see a coyote. There is supposed to be a healthy population in this county.

View

View

View

View

[This message has been edited by Skinny Shooter (edited 03-20-2001).]

Hey Skinny Shooter, great photos!!!

Your examples clearly illustrate how a bright shinny rifle can hinder the best efforts of a caller to camo up.

Great point, I thumbs up for your efforts for sure....

Don't give up yet, them PA yotes are tough, but something tells me you got your act together and you'll soon be a PA coyote's worst nightmare...
wink.gif

------------------
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

http://www.predatormasters.com

Thanx for the encouragement, I need it. I was also out on the 17th from an hour or so B4 dusk till two hours after dark. Didn't even get a fox to come in. The only fun part was that it was drizzling and there is just something about being out in the rain and gettin soaked. That Shag sure gets heavy when wet. I am a newbie to the coyote hunting scene. Being a professional photographer, I am hoping to hunt with my camera and really want some shots (photos) of a coyote(s). BTW, the images here were taken on Kodak 35mm E100SW E6 film with a Nikon and Nikkor zoom lens. I have some other images taken at the same time with my digicam and I like the chemical photos better in this situation.
While hunting the powerline cut, my bud was using a BDL Varmint in 6mm and I had the VLS .308 with VMax bullets. Ideally, I should have had my 12ga and he could have handled the long shots. We were using my JS caller.

This last image is a view from one of our calling positions. The powerline tower is about 400yds away.

View

EXCELLENT LOOKING GHILLIE'S BUDDY!!!
biggrin.gif

I hope you wear gloves, your hand glows like a spotlight.
wink.gif

I must comment on the excellent job of matching the jute to your surroundings.

What sounds are you using to call? How long are you staying at each stand? What volumes are you using? Do you howl before turning the JS on?

In playing with these different variables you might be able to increase your luck.

RK

------------------
Idle hands may be the devils work, but idle minds are so much worse

Originally posted by ryank:
EXCELLENT LOOKING GHILLIE'S BUDDY!!!
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the compliment. They are made by Rancho Safari in Kali.

I hope you wear gloves, your hand glows like a spotlight.
wink.gif

We normally wear gloves on stand. The one image taken without gloves was one of those "quick sit down here and I will snap off a shot or two". This can be a good illustration of why you should cover all skin areas.

I must comment on the excellent job of matching the jute to your surroundings.

I was trying to not have it blend too well the way it is supposed to. Then I wouldn't have had the contrast for a good image. Do you really think it looks Ok? One nice thing about hunting with a bud who has the same camo, is that I can see what he is doing wrong and vice-versa.

View

What sounds are you using to call?

Red Fox puppies, dying cottontail and squealing bird on the JS caller. Olt flat reed mouth call. Someone mentioned to me abouta JS woodpecker call. Know anything about it?

How long are you staying at each stand?

About 15 to 20 mins.

What volumes are you using?

After sneaking into position, we wait about 3 to 4 mins before starting the JS with a low volume. Then I slowly crank it up to alomost max for a bit and then bring it back down. We wait a bit after shutting down to see if anything was sneaking in before moving.

Do you howl before turning the JS on?

I usually do that after our hunt is a bust and I am frustrated! Seriously, I wasn't sure if we should. I did try a JS howling tape at our last stand. Do you recommend it?
What are some good calls to use?

In playing with these different variables you might be able to increase your luck.

We are working on it. We have a combination of timber and farm country here and am not sure what will be best, habitat wise.

These are two views from the powerline cut:

View

View

If you go to this link:
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1495478
you can see more of the images I took in the Shaggie albums.
Being a shooter, I like lots of images, hope it is not a problem posting this many.

Thanx for your help and feedback...

[This message has been edited by Skinny Shooter (edited 03-21-2001).]

Skinny really glad to see you here, and what fantastic photos!
I have never seen pic's on a computer that were so clear. Please don't worry about posting your pic's either, I think that I can speak for most of us when I say that they are greatly enjoyed .
Glad to be able to put a face to your name as well.

I read your questions and they are good ones. I can tell that you are going to be very good at this game. You ask intelligent questions but most importantly I get the feeling that whether it was deemed smart or dumb it would not matter to you.
Great attitude! The end result is what matters isn't it ? so many folks are afraid of opening their mouths and being thought inept or fools.
I love it when I meet someone who realizes that the only stupid question is the one you left with unasked.

I get the feeling that you are willing to try whatever it takes to succeed. This is good.

There is a saying that goes something like this, How do you get good judgment? well son from experiance? well how do you get experiance? that son comes from bad judgment!

I have been thinking about your problem , and looking at your pictures. Here's where I would start to figure this deal out.
Start with scouting, are there significant numbers of targets in the area?
Scat? tracks? food sources? water?
Talk to the people, country folks generally have cats and chickens and know whats up in their area.
I think that with your attitude that I have seen here you could make some friends in the country fairly easily.
That is the big bonus of people research, you can make some really fine friends sometimes.
So now you determine that there is sufficient numbers in the area. Find some coyote piles and pick em apart a little, what are they eating?
As an easy example is there fish scales in them? If so is there a dock near the area where people clean their fish or something to that effect. Lots of mouse bones ? wheres the closest farm field.
Remember I am jsut guesstimating here, I don't know your area.
So now you know there are enough numbers and you have identified some possible sources of feeding areas. Check for tracks, you can determine what direction they are heading to lay up for the middle of the day.
This can give you a clue as to where to hunt at what times of the day. And which sounds to make. In the morning they might respond better to distress cries, in the mid day they might do better to a howl or fox sound.

I use a lot of bird sounds, they carry well and have a lot of excitement to them. Shrill and fast, I like that.
Gets their old curiosity going some what I think.
I like to hit a coyote with more volume than some. Especially in areas like yours with a lot of trees. Trees muffle sounds tremendously. They block sounds and any wind in the leaves obscures sound after any distance.

I would let er rip, wide open! and continously. Set you a feather decoy out in front of you a ways and carry a shotgun.
Or in the clear cuts or right of ways place your pard where he can cover the long shooting lanes with a rifle and you get to one side and handle the close in dogs with your shotgun.

I the more open areas you might want to play intermittently, constant calling tends to bring them in faster. This can be tough with a rifle. Although you can often stop them with a loud squeeck or a shout.
Be ready to shoot cuz they won't be there long. And don't make a noise till you already have him in your sights.
I will leave it at that for now, have faith bud your going to do great.
Oh by the way ,I REALLY liked your ghillie.
Craig.

Az Will,
Read in another thread about your recent hospital stay. Being involved in EMS for the last 16 1/2 years has brought me in contact with many situations like this. If what the doctors say is true, hope that you decide to never give up in this battle.
Allen

Craig,
Thanx for the very warm welcome.
I love the business of photography! It is a rare thing when I get the chance to take "hobby" photos. It sure is hard to "just take" a photo anymore since I do it for a living and normally have to have my images looking good.
The clarity of the images are even better before they go thru the server at PhotoPoint. All images are chemical except for the image with my buddy next to a fallen tree which is a digital shot. Do you have the address for my photopoint albums?
I have to resist the temptation to post larger images. Am thinking about keeping one of my old Nikons with me whenever possible while in the field. Think about the equipment list: JS Caller, Army Satchel, Shaggie and gun(s). Whew, better get the Mtn. bike out soon to lose my winter fat.

I am not one to pose for photos but I needed to see how well I blended.

Thanx for the encouragement about my questions. I've got a barrel full.
biggrin.gif

"I love it when I meet someone who realizes that the only stupid question is the one you left with unasked."

I occasionally work with photography classes at two local high schools and I always mention that to them.

"There is a saying that goes something like this, How do you get good judgment? well son from experience? well how do you get experience? that son comes from bad judgment!"

LOL.

"I have been thinking about your problem , and looking at your pictures. Here's where I would start to figure this deal out.
Start with scouting, are there significant numbers of targets in the area? "

Haven't had much time to check out the area. I actively pursue Skinnies (chucks) from about now thru cold weather and have many farms available to hunt.

"Scat? tracks? food sources? water?
Talk to the people, country folks generally have cats and chickens and know what's up in their area."

Good deal, I talked with my local WCO and he just said, "there are coyotes in every county in Pa.". I couldn't get him to narrow it down unfortunately.

"I think that with your attitude that I have seen here you could make some friends in the country fairly easily.
That is the big bonus of people research, you can make some really fine friends sometimes."

I am surprised to read some of the things that you mention about me. Someone I know told me that you "have my number". Do we know each other? LOL.

At the risk of sounding prideful (well maybe a little bit)
wink.gif
, when looking for new chuck hunting land, I look for the properties that have "no trespassing" signs. I can usually get permission to hunt. A lot of Farmers have been burned in the past. It helps, I believe, that the Landowner sees I am an EMT and maybe thinks I will be more responsible. I don't show up in bloody, dirty clothes, not having had a bath in a week. You know what I mean.
wink.gif

There are a lot of farms here, a lot.

I like the idea of being the close-in gun with the 12ga. Might even be better than sporting clays...

I am going out again on Sat and will try the wooded areas near home.

In another forum, I had mentioned that I thought I saw a coyote when coming home at about 2am from an EMS call. I was driving over the Mtn to get home during a snowstorm. When I rounded a corner in the road, there was this animal in the road eating at a roadkill. It went so quick it is hard to remember , I was pretty tired. It ran, and then stopped to look back broadside to me before running again. It looked like a grey fox on steroids with a large bushy tail that hung straight down. The ears were tall and straight. I quickly steered my Blazer's lights off the road to try and get a second look, the durned thing was standing just inside the brush. When my lights hit it, it took off. So I went about a mile down the Mtn and decided to drive back to the spot. It was alongside the road but I couldn't get a good look. I continued up the mountain without slowing and stopped about a mile away again. I waited for a long 5 mins or so. Back down the Mtn I went and it was out again. This time it had dragged the roadkill further down the road from the turn where I first saw it. I couldn't get close. Am pretty sure this was my first coyote sighting. The great thing about this is that it's 2 mins from my backdoor. I live on the edge of a 1000+ acre watershed that is all mountains.

Craig, are you interested in getting a ghillie like my Shaggie Suit?

www.ranchosafari.com

My buddy was using his 4 Season Shag, and I was using the older style Woodland Camo, I have a 4 Season Shag also.

Even though some will dismiss this camo, I truly believe in what it can do for a hunter. Of course it is not for every situation.
It and my calls will go in the Blazer with me every time this Summer while hunting Skinnies. When the Skinnies aren't out, we can look for coyotes.

Thanx again.

Allen you are more than welcome. It is just a dang shame that you don't live closer, I think that I would enjoy taking you out and putting a few in your lap.
The look on someones face the first time one comes right up into spittin range is priceless. You would have to let me hold the camera , now that would be a picture worth posting!

I am convinced about one thing after reading your posts, you are going to make one hell of a varmint whacker.
You got the brains, the desire and most importantly the committment.
Just about anyone can wander out in the bush blowing on a call and sooner or later they are going to whack one. That doesent mean that they wl ever be very good at it. Which doesent mean squat either actually, success is measured by many things, the taking of an animal is just one, and by no means always the most important.

However there are those that seem to always be bringing something in when most others are complaining . I am by no means as qualified as some others on this board but I do have some definate opinions about certain things.
The first rule to success is always being open to learn and try new ideas.
Some are going to work for you and some seldom will. Only through time and committment will a person start to develop a style of his or her own that brings the odds in their favor.
There are some really great varmint hunting minds here at this place, I learn something new every time I log on here.
And yes I do think that I am pretty good at this game, however the greatest joy I have doing this is when I find out that I was wrong about something.

I think that if I ever wake up one day and say "Conratulations Self, you have finally arrived" it will be a very sad day.
not something I feel the need to worry about however.

Thanks for the link to the ghillie suits, I will keep it handy . I don't really need one right now as I have a home made one that I wear a lot. I looked at quite a a few and couldn't really find one that I thought fit our climate around here. The one I made is quite light and airy, it leaves a lot of my camoes underneath exposed and has just enough material to break up my outline.
I guess you could call it a summer ghillie.

Well anyway I am really glad that you decided to hang with us here for a while, hopefully a long while. I think that I for one am going to enjoy your perspective on things . I did mean it about taking you hunting if you ever have the chance. I am jsut a hop away from Las Vegas and even closer to Laughlin NV.
Decide to take a vacation out this way and I will be PO'ed if you don't give me a call.
Take care,Craig.

Well I think Craig pretty much took the words out of my mouth.
biggrin.gif

I will make an attempt at answering your questions directed towards me, but there will be alot of repeats of what craig just said...... so here it goes....

as far as the woodpecker sounds, I have never used them. I have heard alot of good about them but never got around to them myself.

as for your time at each stand.... your not staying long enough in my opinion. Lots of times for me anyway I won't get a response for 30 to 45 minutes into the stand, lots of people will argue with me about that, but it works for me. Maybe in your area 15 to 20 is sufficent, in my area an hour is just about right. It cuts down on the number of stands that I can make in a day, but gives me more luck at each one.

Howling..... I deffinatly recomend howling upon arrival at each stand, if you get no response then switch to some type of distress call. I myself don't like the JS howling tape, at least not the one I have, it sounds like there is about 80 coyotes howling on it.

RK

------------------
Idle hands may be the devils work, but idle minds are so much worse

Thanks to both of you guys for your input.

Craig, my Dad was just in Vegas. Couldn't get him to take me. Well, it was one of his trips to the West Coast now that he is retired. Thank you for the invite. I will definitely keep it in mind.

One of my hunting buddies grew up in Washington State and wants to bring home an old pickup truck. We decided to hit Montana and S. Dakota for Pdogs if we do it. Throw the guns and lots of ammo in the back. That would be a blast. Commute from one dog town to another on the way home.

ryank,
Someone just mentioned to me that our Pa dogs take a lot longer to come in. Maybe it is the hunting pressure or that the population density here has made them more wary. I was told to hang out for at least 30 mins. I will take my time on stand and try different intervals.
This Sat am, I am going to hunt a logged out wooded area near the house. Can't wait.

While there, if I spend an hour at one spot without any luck, I will have my binos and being camo'ed up will get me to see other wildlife.

Sure glad I live in America where we still have some freedoms left!

While in woods like that, how do you guys feel about the distance between stands? If I wanted to mouth squeal, do you think several hundred yards is enough distance?

Ryank, gotta agree about that JS tape. It sure is "busy". What would you recommend to howl with?

Craig,
My Shaggie suit is made with 1/4" nylon mesh. It is nice in Summer when the wind blows thru the holes. It still gets hot though. I like the idea you have about your camo. Any photos?

[This message has been edited by Skinny Shooter (edited 03-22-2001).]

Back