GPS and TOPO

shotgun

I haven't seen anything regarding the use of GPS. Does any one out there use this technology?

I would like to find out experiences, recommendations, and how to information. Specifically how does one get access to road information other than Highway? What units support map info? etc.......

Shotgun. . .

Hooooowdy and welcome to Predator Masters.

Several years ago I got into the habit of carrying a GPS with me whenever I’m out in the field. As far as I’m concerned, it’s one of the best things I’ve ever gone.

I use the GPS unit to record all types of wildlife sightings, actual sightings of animals, tracks, bedding and feeding areas, etc. Upon returning home, I’ll download the data into some topo map software that allows me to store the observations and recall the data as needed. It doesn’t take long to build an impressive visual database of vital information.

This technique as allowed me to greatly increase the number of lions and bears I call in on a yearly basis. The combined used of GPS and mapping software allow me to quickly establish travel routes, patterns of use, and home range boundaries of the big meat eaters. Now I spend most of my time calling in areas where I know for a fact the big guys are using; sure beats cold calling!

I also use the same basic system for scouting for other predators and big game. The secret here is to always carry the GPS with you, enter data, and then download the info into the mapping software on a regular basis.

------------------
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

http://www.predatormasters.com

SIR, I thank you for the welcome, response, and information.

BTW,being new to this whole environment, I have been tracking you and offer my prayers and best wishes for you.

When you have the time could you fill me in on the type of equipment and software that you use?

Again, thanks from a new kid in town.

I dont use my GPS for recording hunting information necessarily, but you can bet that as soon as Im on a road or path I havent been on before (theres lots of them) I turn it on so it can track my movements.

I use a Magellan 315 and carry a DeLorme Public Lands map that has Topo, trails, and GPS coordinates on it. Lots of Public Land here in AZ

Ive been off-course a few times now and the GPS really helped out. Been a few times when I thought I knew where I was and I was WAY OFF because of all the unmarked trails that criss-cross each other. Trust the GPS readings. A map only does so good if you dont know where you are on it. The GPS gives you that power.

Theres abunch of other neat features like elevation and sun-up-sun-down that I have used it for too...

I really think the TOPO/Map software on the PC is better than map info on the GPS itself...

FWIW

Robb

------------------
"Happiness... is a Target-Rich Environment"

Robb:
Thanks for the input. You refer to PC software....what PC software, from where/who?

Among the blind a one eyed man is king!

azwill is the utm method any better than the longtetude and latetude numbers, I have heard it is more accurate

I recently picked up a Garmin ETrex Venture GPS unit. It is just amazing the info that these little units provide. As soon as I pick up a mapping program, I'll be all set. I can mark all of my favorite hunting spots, as well as put in waypoints for places that I'd like to visit. As an extra benefit, this unit also provides the "best" times for hunting and fishing, as per the solunar tables. All that and it's not expensive either. MI VHNTR

DeLorme TOPO USA 2.0 49.00 for 1 of 6 regions, or 99$ for all 6 regions...

Win95/98
Pentium 60
16 mb ram
30 mb hard drive space
CD ROM drive

Contour view and 3-d view
Contour scalable down to 20 ft intervals

Bass Pro Shops and Cabela's both have it....

Robb

------------------
"Happiness... is a Target-Rich Environment"

Robb, thanks for the info on the mapping program. I noticed that the new 3.0 version of the DeLorme Topo is out now. I just sent for the Maptech TerrainNavigator for my area. I looked closely at both programs, but the Maptech seemed to cover my area the best. Thanks again for the info. It is very much appreciated. MI VHNTR

ROBB:

You made my day....thanks for the follow-up information.

Now with the GPS and SATRAN realtime IR scans loading into my laptop all I need to add are Smart Bullets then I don't have to go out on cold, windy days, but can sit on my deck and get Coyotes within 100 miles......HaHa....Seriously Thanks.

MI VHNTR-didn't mean to forget to thank you too....

[This message has been edited by shotgun (edited 03-30-2001).]

shotgun, I purchased my GPS and Maptech topo program from an Internet GPS store. They had a "lookup" for the mapping program that showed which units that the topo program worked with, and which functions it would perform with each unit. After looking up the mapping programs, I just had to decide which program worked the best for me in my area. There's alot of info in one of those little units. MI VHNTR

shotgun, I sure do. Here it is: http://www.gps4fun.com/main_gar.html

I've received great service from these people and the prices are competitive too. I'm now using my mapping program to plot my routes when I wander around in the woods. It is just amazing the info that the topo program, plus the GPS itself, can provide. It also makes re-visiting a "hot spot" an easy thing to do. MI VHNTR

Back