Shooting Sticks

www.cctrap.com/~varmint/alink.htm

I cannot beleve that Will is allowing someone as computer inept as myself to monior a forum.
Would some one please paste up Varmint Al's adress.

Jbrad, when you get to Varmint Al's site click on hunting, then rifle support. He goes inot great detail of how to build a super duper set of sticks.
Or you can go to your local hardware store and buy your self two 3/8's hard wood dowels. spray paint them with some drab colors and then cut them off to about 3 feet. Clamp them in a vise and drill a small hole through them both abouyt 6 " down. I prefer to find a small bolt just the right size to thread into the wood. This way I don't have some ugly nut on the other side when I attach them together.
I then wrapped my sticks in burlap and spray painted them a little with some darker colors to contrast with the burlap.
Wrapping them also softens the sound when you place your rifle in them. Unless you already have them set up with your rifle in them. I don't do that however, preffering to lay them and my rifle down over my legs until needed.

Who did that?!
I will be danged, now that is slick how that adress changed like that. I guess it doesent take much to impress the natives does it!

Craig,
I posted on another thread about the Snipe Pods. Have you seen or tried them? I will guarantee that they are worth a look. I prefer them over shooting sticks greatly. You can swivel your rifle or set up on unlevel ground. They have a kind of ball bearing joint in them that makes it all possible. Plus if you have to pick up your rifle they are attached so they go where your rifle goes. Check em out.

Well I made a pair of sticks,just like the ones on varmit al's,today.I haven't had a chance to use them yet but I will tomorrow. Thanks for the info guys.

In regards to the snipe-pod i already have a harris bi-pod,I realize they are different but I dont want the added weight to the front of my gun.The Harris is fine on my Savage 110 25-06,but on the front of my Rem 700 22-250 w/ bull barrel its way too much weight up front.

Later,
Jbrad

I've been reading a lot about shooting sticks and taking into consideration that we have two real seasons up here, one with lots of snow and one without. Also, we have lots of shooters that contend with the same problem (north and east), but a large number that do not (south and west). Now when I am talkinig snow I do not mean an inch or two, but a foot or two or three or four.

Conditions where you have to actually use snowshoes or cross country skis to get in the field. And yes, sometimes a snow camo'd tobagan (I still like that!)

Anyhow, shooting sticks for the non-snow season seems to be rather cut and dried, but they seem to sink into the snow rather easily. When set up for a shot you can easily slide from sitting to prone without effort, and unintentionally. However, due to this deep snow problem, I decided to make a universal set of poles to resolve this problem.

Yesterday, I made a new pair that so far work great. I went to a sporting outlet and bought a pair of kids cross country ski poles. They were $12, 39 inches long, they have a metal spear point, and the key is that the snow baskets are removable. They also have a plastic interlocking clip to keep them together when not in use or walking.

I got fiberglass rather than aluminum for the reason that if they hit each other the fiberglass makes a more natural "wood" sound than the metal poles clanging together. They are lighter than wood, stiff, and extremely strong.

I then used Craigs description (above) to put them together, except that I used a rubber faucet washer between them to further eliminate rubbing noise. You can then put surgical hose over the top ends to help control the spread and keep it more as a unit with your gun.

Anyhow, they work in deep snow and non-snow terrain equally well.......good hunting

Shotgun that was a heck of a good idea ,thanks.
Now I am about half way wishin that we had more snow down here so I could try out a pair.
Naaaaaaaahh!

But I can tell you if next year it looks like snow during the Williams Hunt or the Antelope Eaters I will have a set.

Craig:

You're welcome to come up here next Feb and try them out. I'll trade with you and guide you and you can teach me how to use Rich's call.....Bring your union suit, two dozen pocket heaters, snow shoes, and gun - I'll give you a set of sticks IF you last a weekend.

(Feb:40"snow, -10 to -20 temp and wind chill -30 to -40)........I know NFW
rolleyes.gif

8M88882.jpg

Heres a pic of my Rem.mod700 22-250 sittin on the shooting sticks I made.
And my Savage mod.110 25-06 on a harris bi-pod
I like them both but with that bull barrel and bi-pod my 250 is too heavy to lug around all day and forget about a standing shot.

Later,
Justin

Back