Additional Helpful Equipment

Silverfox

I noticed on the Predator forum there was mention of someone with bursting ab muscles towing a coyote or two for a long distance. I know Steve Allen likes to pull his toy tobaggen(sp) along to use as transportation for coyotes. I have settled on drag ropes. Here are some photos illustrating the way two different kinds of drag ropes look.
And finally, two photos to show you how they are used.

Simple drag rope setup, but the narrow bearing surface can make your hand get tired/sore real quick.

View

Addition of a piece of broken hoe handle gives you more load bearing surface and keeps your hand from getting tired/sore. Just drill a hole through the wood from end-to-end and string the rope through.

View

In this photo you can see how the loop is placed around the lower canines and the front feet are placed in the same loop. This keeps the head up off the ground and makes the coyote easier to drag through snow, grass, etc.

View

One hunter takes the front rope and the other takes the sweet end. Kind of like an African safari without the long pole over the shoulders of the load bearers.

View

Well Silverfox you picked the right place to post this seeing as how I was the one bragging about my ab muscles, or lack of.

I did try out the drag rope on Sundays hunt and was dang impressed.
I used a little different twist on the handle however, instead of a broom handle I cut about a 5" piece of 1/2" PVC pipe and just threaded the rope through that. Worked like a charm, I took my pocket knife and beveled the inside edge so it wouldnt wear on the rope, and took a horseshoe rasp to the outer edge.

Thanks for the pic's, it helps a lot to be able to see what your talking about.

If you don't want your handle to rotate, like me, you can drill crossways close to each end, and loop up, across, and down the other side. PVC can shatter in cold weather.

I've seen that coyote PIC before....Ugh! was he holding a cardboard sign that said: "will work for food, God Bless" ?
smile.gif

Good hunting. LB

Silverfox--Good looking idea! Going to have to try that one out. Also what is that red stuff dripping out of the back of that coyote you and Dan are holding. Is he still gutting them with that .243?

Also, got your e-mail, but I accidentally deleted it before I saved your address. Please re-post it for me. What is the mange doing in the Williston country?

Steve--you weren't supposed to notice that red stuff dripping out of the back of that coyote. Dan called in 2 coyotes at this spot. Dan was on the left of the setup and he is responsible for the coyote on the left--I take the one on my side. I had the one on my side all lined up in the scope and was waiting for Dan to shoot. Well Dan had himself situated where he couldn't see from right below where he was laying to about 50 yards out. Guess where the nice colored coyote came and on his side??? Yep, right below him where he couldn't see either coyote. I could see Dan was in no position to shoot the good one, so I swung my rifle over to shoot his coyote. I was twisted around pretty bad and that coyote wouldn't stop for an easy shot. I did the best I could and shot a little high and a little far back toward the rear too. When I went to eject the empty, the extractor let the casing drop right on top of the magazine. I had to tip the rifle over to get the empty out. By the time I got twisted around to the coyote on my side, it was running away. I put two holes in the air as it ran away.

Dan sold his HB .243 to his brother Charlie many years ago. He used a HB 22-250. We usually don't tear them up like I did on this one.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Steve--Just click on the 1st icon at the top of my reply. This is the Profile icon and myy e-mail addy will be listed there. You can also click on the little envelope icon and my e-mail address will be listed at the top of that pop-up window.

Leonard--Thanks for the idea. The handle doesn't rotate much in my hand, just enough to be bothersome, so I'm going to modify my handle following your suggestion so it doesn't twist at all.

For those of you who hadn't seen the coyote with the cauliflower growths in his mouth, he was a very heavy, fat coyote. I'd estimate his weight at well over 40 pounds. I didn't weigh him though. The growths must not have hampered his hunting/eating abilities. A biology teacher at the local high school said these growths were caused by a parasite. It seems walleye get these types of growths somewhere on their bodies too.

Steve or Doc--do you know if this type of growth causes the animal any pain? Does it eventually kill the animal or what???

[This message has been edited by Silverfox (edited 03-13-2001).]

Silverfox--I don't know, but I have seen this a few other times in the past. All have been on the coyotes. However, something like that would completely re-define what chap lips are all about.

Hey Silverfox,

Is that coyote practicing proper dental hygiene? Looks like his floss is just the right size

I don't know about anyone else on this board, but those two guys are scary lookin, dressed all in white.
biggrin.gif

Steve and Skinny Shooter--you guys are just too funny--chapped lips and dental floss! I have to get out of here--that's making me laugh so hard I can hardly see.

Dog+on+floor+laughing.gif

[This message has been edited by Silverfox (edited 03-16-2001).]

I will try to show my version of the "Yote Tote". It is small and very light (only weighs an ounce or two). Works very well and does not rotate in your hand.

Go to your local hardware store (I went to Menards) and pick up a 4" piece of pvc plumbing pipe (30 cents). The circumference is about 1". Take along a screw-on pop bottle cap and the cap should be able to snap on the end of the pipe. As you will see in the pictures, I use a pop cap on each end to keep the string secured inside the pipe when not in use. Don't really need the pop caps otherwise.

View

I drill a hole in the center of one side of the pipe. This hole should be small enough to just fit two ends of a string through. Use a 4' piece of string. I used duck decoy string. It doesn't have to be very thick string as coyotes are not that heavy. Stick the two ends through the hole and tie them together in a knot. You can then pull the strings back tight so that the knot is inside the pipe snug against the drilled hole.

View

This next picture shows how I hold the Yote Tote in my hand. With the string between your two middle fingers, it doesn't rotate.

View

The next pic shows how I tuck the string into the end and then put on the pop caps to keep the string from falling out and getting tangled up with other stuff you are carrying in your pocket.

View

Finally, for illustrative purposes, I am using a javelina to show how to hook the string on a coyote's nose. We drag them out. They slide very easy and we have seen no problems with ruining their fur. Run the two strins behind the canines on top of the mouth and slide the pipe through the loop. Snug it up tight and off you go!

View

Originally I thought the pvc pipe wouldn't hold up, but we have yet to have one break on us. They are lightweight and easy to store and work great for dragging out a coyote. They only take 10 minutes to make. Enjoy!

Nebraska coyote hunter--That is a really good idea. I will have to make one and give it a try. With all these good dragging devices showing up I may end up retiring my tobaggon!

Nebraska Coyote Hunter--Excellent Idea!!! I may have to make one of those and carry it in the plier pocket of my coveralls. My problem is I generally call in and shoot three or four coyotes on every stand, so I'll have to start wearing a butt pack to carry all those pipe nipple dragging devices. Just Kidding!!!
biggrin.gif

I do carry three or four drag ropes just in case. I did have to utilize three of them one time, but I usually don't need more than one or two. Many times, even one is more than I need!
frown.gif

Great ideas. I have an idea that might work for the multipules. Make your pvc pipe a little longer and put three pull ropes thru it. Put one in the middle and one towards each end of the "handle". That way if you get 1,2, or 3 on one stand you can drag them with one "Yote Tote". If you think you might get 4,5, or 6 on one stand you'll have to take 2 Totes.

Good huntin'

tcoop

Steve--keep those pants legs rolled up and you can always take the boots to a shoeshine stand to get 'em cleaned up proper.

tcoop--that's a great idea, but an even better idea would be to just take Steve and his toboggan along and let him pull the coyotes back to the pickup! Of course I'd be uttering encouraging words to Steve as he toted the coyotes back for me.
biggrin.gif

Back