Bipod's or not?

VCinRI

How do you guy's feel about rifle bipods when calling.
Certain times they seem great, other times they seem to get in the way.
What do you think?

It depends.....

When ever I go calling I take two different rifles with me. A light "bush" rifle, and a heavy,heavy barrel "long-range" rifle.

If Im in heavy cover (short visibilty) and/or standing on my ladder, I use the bush rifle. No Bipod. Off-hand shooting only.

But anytime I can get a good shot over 100 yards or so while sitting on the ground, Ill use the LR rifle with a modified Harris that extends out to 25 inches. I put bigger "feet" (PVC Tee-connecters) because theres lots of loose rocks and uneven ground at the micro-level. Ive only had it really hinder me on two occasions when I had coyotes mysteriously appear just below me and I dont think that shooting sticks would have helped out better in either situation.

I do like the bipod because it leaves both of my hands free and the rifle "ready to go". If its aimed the wrong direction you just pick it up lightly and swing it over... No big whoop.

Robb

------------------
"Happiness... is a Target-Rich Environment"

i wouldn't concider going any where without my harris bypod.although there are times i won't use it becouse i'll use tree limbs,logs or what ever is around.but there are many instances where there is nothing to use for a rest so i need the bypod.i don't like shooting free hand so there for i won't do it if i don't have to.

One of the biggest advantages of a bipod for me is the fact that I can sit there with the gun at my shoulder pointed in the general direction that I expect a predator to show up. That way there is no putting the rifle up to the shoulder movement that has to be made when something comes into sight. I am also able then to operate the handcall with my free hand.

This way I can sit totally still for the length of the stand and be prepared for the animal. It also makes those semi-tough shots much easier. A bipod has put many more coyotes on the ground than what it has ever cost me. I wouldn't be without one for most of the situations I am in.

------------------

I wouldn't be caught out coyote hunting with out my shooting sticks or snipe pod. If any of you out there can consistantly kill coyotes past 100 yards without a rest I am impressed, but I can't do it. I shoot alot and have good rifles and scopes, and miss very few coyotes, but I have to have a crutch.

a Harris bipod with the pivoting head that extends to 27" goes on all my rifles when in the field.Yotes are no exception,this implement is a must for ME and a 3 1/2" 12 across my lap builds confidence.The only negative I've found about a bipod is if "Wiley" busts you,it's difficult to follow through for a running shot with those legs extended.This is where shooting sticks have their advantages,good shooting---

They each have their pro's and con's.A bipod is probably a little faster and quite a bit steadier. But personally I will always opt for the crossed sticks, laid down over my left leg with the cross X just above my kneecap.. I learned a lot of what I know about this game from an old fellow from Idaho who is still kind of a legendary figure around these parts. At least among the fur sellin folks.

I still remember the first time I took a bipod out with me to call with him. I was gettin set up and he looked over and in a kind of musing way said " I wonder just how far a coyote can see a barrel stuck up in the air like that? "
How long do you think it took me to have that bipod off!

I wouldn't be without a Harris bipod or my shooting sticks in the open country that I regularly call. I like the shorter version of the Harris bipod. The 12" extendable length is the position I use the most when shooting prone. I will shoot prone whenever the stand offers that option. Shooting from a prone position is the most stable for me but not always an option in taller vegetation or hilly country.

The short retracted bipod position is great for shooting off a bench or down a steep hill. I have no use for the Harris bipods that extend out to 24" when I prefer shooting sticks. For the sitting position, I like my bipods folded up and use my shooting sticks. Shooting sticks can fall away on a close running shot allowing you to swing with the coyote. Extended bipods end up catching on the ground and tilting once moved. If the bipod tilts to accomodate irregular terrain, I have found them to be too loose to stay steady. I personally had no more use for the longer bipods once I started using shooting sticks. Wiley E

Hello Guys,

Some good points discussed. I personally dont own a by pod. I use a Rem 600 Mohawk (18 inch barrel) which is extremely short and easy to point. I would venture to say 90% of the predators I kill are within 75 yds. At these ranges a bi pod is really not needed.

My hunting partner has a bipod on every rig he shoots. I usually shoot three coyotes to his one. Seems like a coyote never comes in where you set the bi pod up. Then he has to pick up the rifle and relocate it. And by then I have already dropped the animal. Also I get alot of shots were predators are loping in at close range. And this allows me to swing.

Everything has its pros and cons. I take more animals without one in my hunting application. And if the animals are out there 250 yds Brandon can nail them with the .243 on the pod. Thats why its fun to tag team animals, and work as a team. Have fun guys, talk to you all later.

Chad

Back