Camo

d2admin

Administrator
I love the stuff, I know that movement, noise and wind direction are the key factors in our quarry putting the make on us, but I love good camo.
I like to wear a ASAT 3-D top over real tree or advantage pants, a face mask , gloves and a Ghillie cover sewn to a camo cap that breaks up my head outline.
The one area that I have heard mention of quite a few times is about the wearing of glasses on a call. I have heard some say that the glare will be noticed very easily. I wear sunglasses here in AZ almost constanly, yet I can honestly say that I have yet to have noticed a difference in detection whether I have them on or not.

Any one have any ideas on this? I thought of spraying them with camo paint , but that would be a little extreme would it not..

I'm a big fan of full camo too.

Unfortuately, like many 50 year olds, I'm forced to wear glasses if I want to see past 100 yards. If the glasses do create some glare my full face mask must be eating it up cause I've never witnessed any indication that predators pick up on the glasses.

My biggest problem with wearing glasses is when it is raining or they fog up on me.

That is a bummer...
wink.gif

You know Will I have the same problem with my sunglasses quite often.
It is funny that you mentioned this because I was going pick up some stuff tomorrow that I was wondering might help.
It's called rain-x, it's made for windshields . They also make a product to prevent glass from fogging.
I did try this on a mirror in my shower once and it worked very well.

Could be,, I will let you know how it works since I am going on the Antelope eaters hunt this weekend and with all of the rain if it gets sunny I am sure my glasses will be a good test.
Take care, Craig.

I was planning on heading up that way myself but I've got to travel on business instead.

While you're up there spread the word about Predator Masters and maybe you could fill us in on how things went when you get back.

I think lots of folks would like to hear about it...
wink.gif

------------------
http://www.predatormasters.com

Craig and Will,

RainX and AntiFog both work wonderful on sunglasses, you will be pleased with your results.

As for camo....... here's mine.....

View

View

View

RK

------------------
Idle hands may be the devils work, but idle minds are so much worse

Dang , that is HOT!
Is that the style that they sell in Cabela's?

Do you have a face mask on under there? or do you even need it?
I wear a homemade Ghillie hood but it isn't as full as yours. Does that one restrict your vision very badly?

No Craig, I made it myself out of camoflage cloth and a couple duck decoy bags and a booney hat.

As far as restricting my vision... no, the booney hat also keeps it from touching your face.

I have a face mask that I sewed some cloth strips to, just to help hide my face.

Only problem with it is that its quite warm in the summer months.
biggrin.gif

RK

------------------

I was out with a guy a couple of weeks ago that wore glasses. One time he didn't get in the shade and his glasses really reflected the late afternoon sun. I was about 40 yards away an it hit me like a spotlight, so I know that predators could see them for miles. On other stands, as long as he was in the shade there was no problem. Also, earlier in the day when the sun was higher the bill of his cap would shade them. One thing that would maybe help is a camo mesquito net/mask that you would wear over the glasses. I have one but didn't have it that day.

tcoop

Tcoop, thanks for the real deal from the field. That is the kind of info that we all can use . I know I will jot it down in my limited memory bank. Its full now though so I guess that means something else will get booted.
I will dang sure pay more attention when the sun gets towards that angle.
Craig.

Nice looking camo!

who said big foot didn't come with a gun
biggrin.gif

------------------
Jason's Gun Room
Quialty Custom Gunsmithing

[This message has been edited by Jason El Paso (edited 03-06-2001).]

OK Guys,

I am starting to get a little self concious about my feet now.
biggrin.gif

Size 12 isn't really that big is it? LOL

RK

------------------

Size 12 would definitely qualify when you're dressed like that. Don't forget the print would look like at 14-15.

Bob

Originally posted by ryank:
OK Guys,

I am starting to get a little self concious about my feet now.
biggrin.gif

Size 12 isn't really that big is it? LOL

RK

Here are the two different types of Shaggie Camo that I use in addition to regular old Advantage Camo. The Shaggie System is made by Rancho Safari.

This camo is great when plants are growing during warm weather and there is more green outside.
This is the carry roll.
View

View

This is my 4 Season Camo. It is great just about anywhere. I am in the process of shredding the burlap as I type this.
View

[This message has been edited by Skinny Shooter (edited 03-07-2001).]

My personal feelings on camo is that it is overrated. If you are in heavy cover with close contact, then camo becomes more important. Where I am at in open country camo's value is pretty insignificant for the way I call. I believe it's important to try to keep the sun at your back and in the coyotes eyes and you won't have as many glare problems. If you do this you will spot the coyotes more readily and the coyotes wont see you as easily.

I really like snow camo for snow conditions. In the fall I like a Predator camo top and a camo cap. I like Predator camo because it has the black bars that break outlines. Most camo patterns are dark blobs if they are not on the appropriate back ground. If I were in heavy cover, I might paint my face or wear a face mask. In the open country that I call, I want them to see my face when I bark so they will stop and look at me. Then I can shoot them. If they don't see anything they can be hard to stop. Many callers camo up too well and wonder why they can't get the coyotes to stop when you bark at them. They need to see something. That's my 2 cents on camo. If I could pick one camo pattern for year round use it would be Predator's snow camo. That white with black bars would work anytime of year on about any back ground. Light colored is the key here. Wiley E

Wiley I can sure see where in open country what you say could sure be right
I don't have that much big open areas here in AZ where I do most of my calling .
I am almost always looking at some kind of cover not too far away from my stand.
In those kinds of situations camo I feel plays a much bigger role, you already said that I know.

I also don't always get the chance . or take the time to insure that I am in shade. I do whenever the opportunity is available and will go out of my way somewhat to set up that way. Yet often I find that it is not possible. I then must weigh the percentages of possible detection against the percentages I will miss by passing up this situation or by taking more time to set up differently.
Often the wind will dictate this as well. I have been forced many times to call from positions I would rather have avoided . I must say though that with good camo and something to break my outline I call just about as many from those setups as when in the shade. A face mask is then very important I feel, as are gloves and no exposed shiny metals. Watches and rifle barrels can act like a mirror from many directions.I also don't worry so much about stopping a coyote, I carry a shotgun to all of my stands. And generally I find that even with my camo if I make a noise they lock in on me pretty easily.
That and the movement of my rifle on them does the trick most of the time.

That is what is so neat about this game don't you think? So many different situations and terrains and not to mention the different ways coyotes react.
I wrote a while back on another board that I am so glad that this sport is an art rather than a science. I don't know if anyone understood, heck I don't know if I even understood it at the time. However I have thought about that statement a lot lately and I think I finally do understand what I said.

Mine is almost all desert hunting, with a little mountain hunting thrown in during Aug-Sept after bobcat reopens. Desert is usually heavy brush, and opportunities are close-up and fast. Camo is important. More than once I have had a coyote suddenly appear within 15 paces and look me over. When I do my part and don't move until they look away they disregard me completely. The suit is very lightweight and every leaf cut is an opening, so it lets the air flow right through. Made by Downwind 3D camo. Great camo for the desert. If it is cold, just wear more under it.
View

------------------
Critr
www.SaguaroSafaris.com

Hello CritrGitr! I am dang glad that you decided to contribute here. When I saw your web site it didn't take long to figure out that you could be a big benefit to a lot of folks.
Hope that you stick around a while.
We are only about 2 and a half hours away from each other , what do you think about getting together sometime and seeing what kind of damage we can do?
Perhaps we could meet part way, perhaps around Wickiup or Nothing Az or someplace along in there.
Take care , Craig

Those ghillie suits look neat, next time I'm on a mission, I'd love to have one.

The reasons for solid camo are many. All I know is it can't hurt.

However, those ghillie suits can impede your gear, snag on everything from mesquite to various cholla, to any sort of dead wood.

If you are using electronics, the chances are small that you will be detected except if you are unlucky enough to be directly inline with the machine and the animal is on the other side, when you shoulder the gun. When the sound is coming from a position thirty yards away from you, you would have to be rather careless to be spotted, in most cases.

I use camo, but I don't feel the need to go overboard. It's a personal choice, and it can't hurt you, so all we are talking about here is personal habits. I do have a couple camoed guns, however.

Good hunting. LB

Back