coydogs

The large brown hybrid I spoke of previously[large paw print above]. That canine was paired up with a coyote. They had atleast one litter I knew of. As prior yrs there were NEVER any brown coyotes or coyotes with brown in their coloration in my hunt areas.

The following Winters[after I had seen the large brown hybrid]. I started seeing brownish coyotes. I killed two of them. One of those off-spring I missed. That canine was in the 50 lb bracket.

Sterile? not hardly.

very intresting thread,heres my 2 cents worth, about 6 yrs ago i found a black lab looking dog up on the north end of the ranch that was in terrible shape head all swollen up mange,took a long time to coax him in, i brought him home and fed him, and he stayed, next morning i took him to the vet left him for about 3 days and they doctored him up and he got well, and took up with one of the ranch hands. ruben,told me this dog was the best hunting dog he had ever seen, but was scared of gunfire,ruben would take this dog on his 4-wheeler every where he went to work as worked the dog would hunt, ruben told me the dog would tell him if there was a rattler near by,the next fall we started seeing black coyotes that looked like coyote lab crosses, ruben, claimed they were pups by lucky, the lab,ruben, left to work in town and took lucky, with him 2 years ago. but we still see a black coyote now and then.thats all i know for sure about coyote dog crosses.rio7

well I'm a little late on this subject but...I think I typed this before. Anyway, a farmer kept getting his farm cats and turkeys etc taken by yotes on his place. Several times in the middle of the day, right in front of him. One big yote would come in and steal a cat right in plain sight of him and he could never get a gun quick enough. Said it would look right at him and scoop up a cat and jog away. I tried hunting/calling several times but never saw a thing. The state trapper came in a put traps. Ended up catching a few yotes. One was a 50lb female. (which is huge in my area) He said it was a coydog, which he also said are very very rare and that it was sterile. He said they are the hardest to call and that is also why it would take cats in the middle of the day in front of farmer because of the dog side in it.
I do believe in crosses but think it is really really rare.
I read book about an old outdoorsman in alaska. He had sled dogs and thought the best ones were wolf/dogs. He would tie up a female in heat (dog) to a tree and wait. On a occasion a wolf would come in to mate it. But...he had to be in gun range cuz as soon as the wolf did its duty it would always attempt to kill the dog so he had to be near to shoot it right after.

If there were no such things as coy dogs how does the name exist.Coy dogs sterile?I think we have crossed every canine breed imaginable.Have I actually seen one?No, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.I've talked to lots of farmers who's farm dogs play with coyotes, but mine hate em.

Lots of recent news lately about eastern coyotes having large percentages of grey wolf in them. That makes sense.

It's also well known thatthe red wolf basically has almost bred itself extinct because the small ones have bread with coyotes, and large coyotes/ wolves have been shot off, so know we have red wolf yotes. k. that makes sense.

so have we established scientifically, I mean, both above examples have been proven with DNA, That wolves and coyotes can bred, for more than one generation, resulting in crosses that aren't strictly 50/50%, and hybrids that are indeed fertile? I think we have.

Now... {Drum Roll.....}
DOGS ARE WOLVES. DOGS ARE WOLVES. YOU ALL GET A CAR (Oprah)!!

I don't think it happens often, but it is happening more and more. Full grown coyotes can be anywhere from 25# to 50# ..reports of larger ones are likely have some wolf/ dog in them. Dogs can be full grown from about 5# to 200#... it's not hard to imagine that a 100# shepherd/ huskey/ malemute would not find a 40# coyote a threat, and may breed her. Cannes are pack animals. they like companionship, and group efforts. I think it is BEYOND proven that coydogs exist. Look at the color variations thread, I've seen pictures on the net. Coydogs can and do happen. They're not like saskwatch!
kaweah-coydog-large.jpg

Same dog as above, look at the coloring..:
CoydogKaweah1.JPG

look at the tail o nthis thing:
Coydog2.jpg

Here's a slideshow from sundance ranch (who evidently breeds them) and pictures of many of their coydogs:

http://www.coydog.us/sundanceranch.html

Just google "coydog" and click images!!

Last edited:
I own a coyote/austrailian Shepard hybrid? Coyotes do breed dogs. She has been dna'd. She is a awesome dog and one heck of a mouser. As she has gotten older she barks more but still yips a lot. Funny thing is she really hates coyotes! Must have a chip on her shoulder.

Out in the wild, especially up north above the snow line, coydogs have a very slim chance of living up here. Coy-dogs, from what i have heard, if they haven't been killed, tend to have the breeding cycle of dogs so the offspring usually don't live due to the fact that they are not born in the best time of year...as far as down south goes...who knows...it must be one hard-up coyote to nail a dog cause most of the time, at least around my neck of the woods, you shouldn't leave your dog on a chain outside overnight, cause it probably won't be alive by morning. I had warned my sister of this several times because I had heard coyotes behind her house several times (she still won't let me hunt there!) and she left her dog chained up overnight...came out one morning to get her and she found that her dog was dead and bloodied on the chain...didn't get eaten though...coyotes just killed it. Doesn't happen all of the time but happens with enough frequency that I won't leave my dogs outside overnight.
A dog breeding a coyote I can see simply for the fact that if they'll hump your leg they'll hump anything!

Originally Posted By: verg He had sled dogs and thought the best ones were wolf/dogs. He would tie up a female in heat (dog) to a tree and wait. On a occasion a wolf would come in to mate it. But...he had to be in gun range cuz as soon as the wolf did its duty it would always attempt to kill the dog so he had to be near to shoot it right after.
It shows that wolves think of dogs like guys think of fat chicks...they're fun to ride but you don't want your friends to see you on one
lol.gif

Man, I just read my last two posts..it must be painfully obvious that I am about to go home on leave after being gone for 6 months! Sorry if I offended anyone!

Back to the original post, in years past feral dogs would pack together and kill cattle. They would be shepards, collies,labs, mainly any medium/large breeds. These packs would be hunted hard.
The pics have been deleted, so I never saw them, but feral dogs kill for fun not food.

Shayne

Back