22-250 for deer

Dirtpoodle

I am going to try some 52 grain Sierra HPBT Match for deer, I have heard that they work very well when the velocity is high. I have never shot a deer with one, if anyone has first hand knowledge, any info and loads would be apreciated.

My daugter took her first deer with the Hornady 52 gr BTHP which as basically the same. She hit it in the neck right behind the head at 110 yds. It went down instantly with a baseball sized hole in it. This was a small 2 point mule deer.

Wow, that's impressive for such a small bullet, I guess it really does work for deer. I have always packed a .308 or a 30-06 for bigger critters, I will be trying the 22-250 for deer now. I will pick a high percentage shot and see how the rifle and bullet combination does.
Thanks for your info, John

I kill deer with my 55 grain power point through my winchester model 70 in 225, good little deer rifle, just make sure you put them in the boiler maker.

With a 22/250 and a 63g Sierra Semi point loaded with a max load of IMR 4350 and a Win primer, you will get 3400+ with small groups, great bullet on deer.

Is this your only deer rifle. I know people use this caliber on deer, but it seems to me to be a little on the light side.

never seen one used on deer, but my hunting partner shot his antelope with one this last season, and with a perfect shot behind the shoulder it killed with authority. i was impressed

Originally Posted By: DirtpoodleI am going to try some 52 grain Sierra HPBT Match for deer, I have heard that they work very well when the velocity is high. I have never shot a deer with one, if anyone has first hand knowledge, any info and loads would be apreciated. Make sure that Sierra bullet is a hunting Bullet and not just a "MATCH" grade bullet. Most Match grade bullets even though they are hollow points are not designed for expansion like a hunting bullet. The hollow point is a simple means of displacing weight to allow for a extremly well balanced flat shooting paper puncher. Now with that said My dad has been shooting whitetails with his 22-250 for years with a old 60gr solid base Noslers. I have even taken two with my .204 with 45gr. Hornady spire points.(sold the .270 and was only option at the time) We've had great results with both, but like with anything it all boils down to shot placement. These aren't brush guns, and that is another thing you must think about when about to pull the trigger.

Last edited:
i'd use nothing less then a 243. ive hit deer perfect and they still run a little ways. i wouldnt use anything smaller. i used an 85 grain barns tripple shock and i hit a 5 by 4 mule deer 3 times before it died. the 100 grain's i use tend to work better and even they dont always put them down instantly. my shot placement is in the vitals. this is just my experience. and maybe our mulies are bigger and tougher deer, i dont know but it is a thought.

I can not tell you how many deer have been put in my freezer due to being shot with a 22-250. I have been shooting a 22-250 for over 15 years now and have never had a problem anchoring deer with 55 grain siera bthp. Yes I do understand that I live in Texas and my deer are not as big as the ones in the nort, but I lived in North Dakota for three years and my hunting partner shot a .222 with the 55 grain bthp and killed big deer every year with it. Seeing that is what sold me on the 22-250 being it packed a little more punch. If you are looking for a good over the counter shell try the Federal Premium in the 55gr. bthp that they sell up untill recently that is the only round I shot. And as far as not having enough punch my biggest deer to date was shot with a .222 at a little over 200 yards in the boiler maker. Had to trail it 30 yards so yes in my book the 22-250 will kill deer with out any isue as long as you do your part.

Unfortunately here in WA 24 cal is the smallest legal caliber. I've personally seen a lot of deer dropped in their tracks with a 22 mag Shot placement behind the ear and they drop like a sack of potatoes

Last edited:
I have been using the 52 gr MK HP for about 20 yrs. now for hunting whitetails so I would say I have first hand knowledge. I have never lost a deer using this load and I can tell you that I have made some bad hits and they still went in the freezer. I send them out of the barrel as fast as I can and you will not believe the internal damage the round produces. Good luck and have no worries!!!

Originally Posted By: thegreatbobbarkerMatch bullets work well with Varmits and wood chucks. Bad idea to use them on deer.

Can you explain to us why and how you have came to this conclusion? I have shot at least 40 whitetails with match bullets and most dropped on the spot but some did run 15 or 20 yrds.I like that a match bullet is a little harder and stays together longer while entering a deers boil room but then comes apart inside making a very impressive mess of the vitals.

Back