Load recommendation for 75gr Hornady BTHP? **Range Results

Greyhunter

I'm trying to work up a load for these bullets for a hog hunt. I'm shooting 2 RRA AR's, a 20" 1/8" and a 16" 1/9".
Tried 23g, 23.5g, and 23.8g of TAC and I cant get better than 2"-2.5" out of either gun. Both will shoot under an inch with 60gr VMAX.
So I guess I'm looking for a different powder recommendation? The only other powder I have on hand is Benchmark.

I'm also planning on trying some 62g TSX's, so any load/powder suggestions there would be appreciated also.

Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks Scott, that sounds like a pretty hot load. I really havent had much luck with TAC, so far it hasnt outperformed Benchmark with the 55-60gr bullets I've tried. Do you think Benchmark is too fast of a powder for the 75's? I see Hodgdon lists a load for 75's.

I use a couple tenths of a grain off max with AA2520 in winchester 1x fired cases. It yields 1MOA out of my AR which is good enough for me. AA2520 is pretty similar to TAC so not sure how much better you can get it to shoot. Some barrels just don't like certain bullets. I use the above load to bang steel out to 400 yards so you don't need a 1/4 MOA to take most shots.
DSCF0005-1.jpg

I would definately try the benchmark. I use 23.0 grains of benchmark with my 75 grain hornady BTHP. I am shooting right at 1/2 MOA with a RRA 20" A4 varmint and a leupold 6.5-20 scope.

They will probably only stabilize in the 1 in 8 twist and I would make sure and seat them full magazine length. I am right about 2.254 OAL I believe.

For me Benchmark has been extremely versatile. It has grouped the best for me with both a 60 grain V-Max, the 69 Sierra match hollow point, and the 75 grain hornady BTHP.

Last edited:
Well thats two people that have had good luck with Benchmark so I'll give that a try. I just didnt think it would be a good powder for the heavies. My 1/9" and 1/8" both seem to stablize the 75's just fine, at least out to 100yds, nice round holes in the target.

Ive heard good things about benchmark, but haven't used it since i get good groups with ramshot tac. I revisited my load data and it was 23.4 not 24.4.

Greyhunter, let us know how it goes.

I load 23.5 gr of Benchmark for 2787fps out of my Colt 20"HBAR. This is a max load so reduce and work up for your gun! Same load gives me 2660 fps out of my 16" DPMS HBAR!

Well I guess I should have tried the Benchmark first, I have scads of that. I picked up a pound of Varget and a box of 62gr TSX (man, they are proud of those!) so between those two bullets and powders I should be able to come up with something that works.
Might be a bit before I can get out, snowing and COLD here. Thanks guys.

I get about 2,760 fps with Benchmark and the 75 Hornady bthp using 23.5g and below .5 moa. Shoots about 10 fps slower than Varget with 25g, and Varget is just slightly more accurate for me in a 20 inch barrel and 1x9 twist.

Originally Posted By: peytontI use a couple tenths of a grain off max with AA2520 in winchester 1x fired cases. It yields 1MOA out of my AR which is good enough for me. AA2520 is pretty similar to TAC so not sure how much better you can get it to shoot. Some barrels just don't like certain bullets. I use the above load to bang steel out to 400 yards so you don't need a 1/4 MOA to take most shots.
DSCF0005-1.jpg

Man, those are some sweet looking rifles! Wish we could use suppressors here...

I have shot the Hornady factory loaded 75 gr MHP's out of my 16"PP and it shoots them well. If I hadn't tried the 50 gr Noslers they would probably be my load. With these powder suggestions from these guys you'll probably be set.

Well this was interesting. 1/9" RRA 16" carbine, 2x7 Leupold, off a bipod. First up I tried the Barnes 62gr TSX with 24.2g of Benchmark, which I thought might work as this rifle likes 60gr Vmax and 24.5g of Benchmark. Nope, 4 shots into 3.5 inches and the 5th round was completly MIA. Next up was 25.5gr of Varget and the TSX's, which were so bad that I quit after three rounds printed a 6" group. I dont think any tweaking will save these bullets in this rifle.
In fairness to the TSX's, they shot decent (1.5") out of my RRA Predator Pursuit.
0114111501b95287275Small.jpg

So I moved on to the 75gr Hornady HPBT. 24.5gr of Varget did about 1.5" but 23.5gr of Benchmark performed the best. I loaded up 10 of each and Benchmark did the best with both rifles. Oddly, both rifles and both powders printed similar groups with two groups of two touching and a flier. The Benchmark groups were just a bit better. I'm glad I asked here, otherwise I probably wouldnt have even tried Benchmark with the 75's. Using TAC powder I couldnt get under 2+" with either rifle using this bullet.
I could probably tweak this load further, but it's definately minute-of-hog.
0114111500a95258660Small.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions.

Originally Posted By: UtahShooterIsn't it best to do load development off of sand bags or something more sturdy?

Yes, that would be preffered and I was using a rear sandbag along with the bipod. I wasnt trying to work up a 1/4" prarie dog load though, just looking for a practical hunting load for hogs.

I tripped over the opportunity to try some 75 BTHP Hornady match ammo in a 24" 5.56 SS Bull Barreled 1 in 9" AR.

I liked it and started doing research. I never thought it would stabilize a round that heavy. "They" say it can't be done. "They" are SOMETIMES a bunch of curmudgeons who think that their number of posts on any given forum is directly proportionate to their level of knowledge and reloading/ shooting expertise. But Sometimes, we stumble on an exception to our rules and end up being reminded that not every rifle is the same.

I was skeptical. I decided to reproduce some version of that factory ammo. 3/4 through the research, I found a nice surprise. I could try IMR4064. This is my pet powder for the .30-06. It works great at 48 grains with the 180 SST. I load it .020" off the lands in a remington case and it's very consistent. So I thought that it must be slow burning enough for this.

For the 5.56, I used Hogdon reload data. I am guessing that this 24" barrel was longer than their test barrel ?
75 GR. JLK VLD IMR IMR 4064 .224" 2.250" 21.0 2531 37,500 PSI 24.0C 2827 53,400 PSI
http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

I checked twist: http://accurateshooter.net/Blog/millerformula.xls

According to the Miller formula, as long as velocity stays up and temperature does not go down too much, it can work. It's right on the edge of the stability window. No need to overspin the bullet if its stable.

I tried 4064 in a range of 22.6 to 24.2 grains taking 4 shots at .1 grain intervals. I boresnaked every 8 shots.

The tightest group with the Hornady 75 BTHP Match bullet was 24C grains of IMR4064 at 2.258" COAL using Lake City brass- full length resized, trimmed, chamfered, primer pockets deburred, REM SRBR 7 1/2 primers.

The lead sled was 28 yards (THIS WAS A PRESSURE TEST) from the target. The rifle has a Jard trigger. This group was all four bullets in one hole. I stopped there. I didn't try the 24.1 or 24.2. The primer was a little flat there. No bulging cases or craters from the firing pin. Just a little warm on the pressure.

Can't wait to try this load at long distance. We a Coyote clan living at the farm in a cave. And we have very few turkeys and deer.

Many shooters including myself have experienced mediocre accuracy with Hornady 75 BTHP. The groups through my 1/7 barrel ranged from 3 to 7 MOA depending upon powder and primer combinations. I had no luck with TAC either. I would give Hornady 68's or Nosler 77's a shot with RE 15 or Varget.

Last edited:
Back