Matted fur

d2admin

Administrator
I was wondering what's the best way to remove the matting from coyote fur. Also, in the matting especially, but all over the fur are little white eggs (?) Looks like eggs or some kind of tiny white thing that has a sort of brown speck on it. Juvenile ticks? Looks like white corn meal actually. Any clues?
When I killed my first yote this thurs, I had a hard time finding it for the tall grass. I found her by the SMELL! She had been rolling in somethng dead. I imagine this is going to be the norm, right?

It's wrapped in plastic...in the trash. I have two beautiful daughters and a beautiful dog, all three have beautiful hair....it's nott worth it! It's does seem a bummer to go and hunt and take these great animals and have no trophy to show. Bummer, I don't even have the fur from my first one.

...A2...I killed a pair of coyotes, last January. The male had the matted hair and smell that you mentioned.

My son pointed it out, that the dog was in the beginning stages of mange. I believe that he was correct. The female had no such odor or matted hair, although she did smell like a coyote.

My son had crippled a coyote, earlier in the fall, and tracked it on the snow. When he finally ran out of sign, and was about to give up, the wind changed, and he could smell the coyote. Knowing that the coyote had to be close, he charged into the wind, and jumped it up from where it was laying. He managed to put a shot "up the exhaust pipe" and finish it off. After all this, and a one-hour tracking job, the coyote was mangy.

I commended him for following and finishing the job. So many people think that a wounded coyote is almost as good as a dead one.

As far as a record of your kill, I always keep a throw-away camera in my vehicle, to take pictures with. Even if I'm hunting alone, I will
lay my rifle alongside my kill, just as proof that I did take this one. They cost about $5.00 or a bit less, and produce decent pictures.

Back