It finally happened

possum1

First of all a big thank you to PM. Especially to GC for taking the time to answer all of my messages and pm's. After making probably a dozen stands it finally happened, called in my first yote. A good friend and I have leased 2000 acres in Missouri with good yote sign, looks like they are making it hard on the fawns and small deer. The story =, I got up a little late on Sunday morning, about 5:30, got out in the woods around 7:00. I had been calling the ridges and hollers the last two week-ends. Today I took to the creek bottoms, the management of the property had done a controlled burned the first week of November, and I was walking the burn line-lane in the creek bottoms. There was plenty of fresh coy scat in the lanes. I happened up on a large pine thicket that was on a side of a ridge, the creek bottom had been burnt and was about 75yds. wide, the cross wind was perfect blowing down the creek from the north east about 5-10 mph. I have just purchased a Decoy Heart and put one of my kids stuffed animal monkey on it. Set the decoy out about 50yds. and set up maybe 20 yds. up on a small knoll where I had a good view of the bottom and the thicket. I had been getting disgusted because I had not been seeing any dogs, didn't even put any camo face mask or gloves. Kicked back and lit a cigaret and started Fawn Distress. About 30-45 seconds into the sequence a Yote bounced out of the thicket straight across from me and done a little trot to the n/e about 15 yds., it turned and seen the decoy and stopped broad-side of me. All I could see was it's head and neck between two fairly good size hardwoods. Put the cross-hairs on it's neck and let the 50gr. V-Max do the job I thought. Down it went with no after movement, man was I pumped. Let the seq. finish playing thinking another one may come out, not really paying attention to the dog that went down. About 3 min. later the Yote got up and tryed to run but it was more of a fast belly crawl, could'nt get it in the scope good enough to get another shot off. Started the track trying to see blood because there was a small puddle where it went down with a good amount of fur, the last place where I had seen it leaving I found a decent size hole under a big root wad. The only thing I can think is it went into the hole. This perticuler set-up seemed way too easy to me, thinking it was a young hungry yearling ? One thing this has done is give me more confidence in my calling, I just wish I could have found him. One way I look at it its one more less we have to worry about. There are several packs on the place because we hear them at night when they are getting together. Hopefully I can post some pic's of the place

Well congrat's to you! Once you get a few under your belt, then it seems to come easier after that. You probably already know this but always closely watch a neck shot animal. Often times unless the actual vertebra is broken, the animal is only stunned and after it recovers from the shock transmitted by the bullet, the critter will attempt to get away. Sometimes surprisingly fast too! Coyotes can be tough to find because they have soft feet that don’t cut the ground like the hooves of a deer, and a coyotes thick fur soaks up blood. Sometimes there isn’t much sign to follow. But good on ya, keep after them!

Back