What do you do with dead coyotes?

HHaisten

after killing a coyote, what do you guys do with it? especially when you kill several. if you kill coyote And you do not plan to tan the hide or mount the yote, is it acceptable to just leave it lying? What happens to the carcass? Do other animals eat it? Just wondering what is considered proper and ethical

I started hunting them because they were killing all of my neighber's birds. I wasn't harvesting them then. I kept the tails as a trophy and would hang them on fence posts. The Buzzards made quick work of them in a few days. I am now looking to keep the hides. My grandma said she might like a coyote coat. So I'm looking to keep the next few I get. I have also changed my load for my remington 7mag. I was using 120 and 140 grain ballistic tips factory loads before. Mever had to make a second shot of track them. I have reloaded 100 grainers with 38 grains of powder. It kicks like a 223 now. And leaves a smaller hole. I have been testing them on the ground squirrels around my place. They seem to be working great. The Seven thet I shot last weekend had one small hole in and one small hole out. I am realy interested to see how they do on yotes. I have heard that they will eat other dead coyotes but have never seen it. Sorry for rambling on.
Darrin /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Hang them from a fence post?? I have seen this and would never do this myself! My opinion, if you are not going to skin the animal leave it lay or find out where the land owner's dead pile is located and place it there if the land owner has no objection to this. The fence post thing just adds ammo to the anti-hunters quest to shut us all down in my opinion. Just my opinion on this topic....

Brent

Depends on how bad I put a hole in it. Trying to get a couple of pelts for rugs. Usually I place the yotes where the rancher can easily spot them. Some times on a fence inside the pasture or along ranch roads. Nice to let the owner know you are actually bustin critters and not just goofing around on his property

I have a couple of ranchers who allow me to hunt their land ask me to hang any coyotes from the fence along there main roads.
buzzsaw

I don't leave them lay. If the fur is good i either sell it or tan it. If it is not prime i do not hunt them anymore. As far as carcasses go, i used to make a pile out in the sage. You wouldn't believe the birds and eagles that would hang out there all day.

i tan the hides and hand them from my wall, i have 2 full body mounts though. one of the first one i shot and the other is the biggest so far. my dads frined eats the yotes. ick

If the fur is good, I consider it my duty to skin the animal out. This is my trapping background coming through, I guess. I believe in fully utilizing to your best what you kill. With the high prices yotes are bringing, why not skin them out? I understand some guys hunt in spring and summer to protect rancher's livestock and for sport, and that the fur is no good, but if shot in season I think the animal should be utilized. I sell the hide as well as the skull, and use the anus, etc, for trapping lure. Yesterday, NAFA had a fur auction-top lot yotes brought $140. If you live west of the Mississippi you should be able to get a $20-30 or better per animal average, with $50-60 for nice specimens. That buys quite a few calls! LOL
If shot in between the beginning of October and the first half of February, I would skin. If you are further south, the dates would change, of course. Their are quite a few good sites on the net showing skinning, as well as books. Good luck.

Most of the animals I trap or shoot are during the time that the fur is good enough to sell. The carcass, body, I take out to the places where I trap and leave them for the skunks, birds and coyotes to eat. We used to have a rendering truck stop and take the bodies for pet food. They won't take mink because of the smell.
If it is damage control in the summer, or if it is mangy I usually leave it lay for the critters to clean up.There are a lot of bugs and what not that feed on the protein.

I will skin it if I like the hide. I hunted with a guy who shoots a lot of dogs who swears you have to remove the carcass if you want to hunt that area anytime soon. so my 3 options skin it, take it and dump it elsewhere, leave it.

187Coyote

you said...

I have also changed my load for my remington 7mag. I was using 120 and 140 grain ballistic tips factory loads before. Mever had to make a second shot of track them. I have reloaded 100 grainers with 38 grains of powder. It kicks like a 223 now. And leaves a smaller hole.
I felt I should warn you...

This practice can be very dangerous! Greatly reduced loads of slow burning powders have caused rifles to literally explode and you are using about 1/2 of the amount of powder that the 7mm Rem. Mag. case will hold...I would consider this an extremely reduced load. You didn't say what powder you are using but still...I would highly recommend against this practice and would stick pretty close to the load recommendations in the reloading manuals.

PO Ackley has a good discussion on this type of "detonation" in his books. There has been some research into this but as of yet, they haven't been able to make it happen "on demand"...the detonation instead of the normal deflagration of the powder. Internal ballisticians are still "scratchin' their heads" and haven't proved exactly what is going on with this, but when it happens, it is always with "greatly reduced loads of slow burning powder"...and extremely violent!

Believe me this is not intended as a "slam" and please don't take it as such...I'd just hate to see anyone get hurt...or worse!

Back