Hodgdon Superformance Powder

Mr. Outdoors

I have some Hodgdon Superformance powder on the way to my house. It will be here tomorrow. Ill be loading it in 243 wssm. But it will be awhile before i have range results since i dont have my scope,rings and reloading dies yet.

I got some from Powder Valley. With 300 WSM shooting 155 grain Lapua's its advertised at 3408 fps, and I got 3140 at max load on a 24" barrel. It didn't group either, but I think this is more the rifle's fault (having [beeep] with this gun).

Originally Posted By: ackleymanI have some on the way also, I'm hoping to just shoot in front of their nose and suck the wind out of them...fur friendly powder.

LOL
lol.gif
They do tend to hype some of this stuff. If I combine this powder with their 53gr super high B.C. bullet I will be scared to shoot it.... might just go around the world and hit me in the back of the head.

I was looking at Hornadays new loading book, I think it's the 8th edition. The loads it showed for Superperformance powder were pretty tame, compared to existing powders. Other existing powders gave more speed in 30-06 for example, than SP did.

How could it be that Hornaday claims 150-200fps more speed with this powder, in their SP factory loads, and yet they can't achieve this speed with the same powder/bullet combo in their reloading manual???

I can't wait to read the results you guys are getting.

Hornadys new manual dont give any information with the 223 or 22-250 with the superperfomance powder. It isnt much differnt than my 6th edition. I am disappointed in it.

Well i headed to the range yesterday and here is what i got.

DSC_0355.jpg

My gun is a winchester 70 stealth II with a 26" barrel 1:10 twist. Trigger has been replaced with Rifle basix set to 1 lb 14 oz.

I loaded sierra 70 gr blitzking and 70 gr nosler. I shot bullets both at 50 and 100 yds. The top and bottom set of dots on the left side of the paper were shot after the break in was done and at 100yd distance. The grid is .5" square. POA is the green dot.
I loaded Hodgdon superformance at 52.5 gr and 53 grain
at 52.5 gr the velocity was 3550 fps
at 53 gr the velocity was 3576 fps.

The top left is a three shot group that a friend of mine shot. I cleaned the gun and then i took the 4 final shots on the bottom left.
On my first shot you can see it landed way to the right and then the final 3 shots grouped decent for the gun being new.

According to Hodgdon load data at 54 gr the velocity should be at approx. 3800 fps. At 53 gr i should be some where around 3700.
The accuracy was what i thought it would be from the new gun and that will get better. I bought the superformance for the velocity and hoping for good accuracy. But over all i think the superformance at this point is bunk. I dont think that adding 1 more grain of powder is going to get the fps up to the advertised velocity. Ive have loaded it up to 54gr with the same bullets and will have to wait for the weather to straighten up before i hit the range again.

Last edited:
Back