Skinning questions

Snareman

I've been trapping and snaring for a couple years to help with coon and coyote problems on the farm. I thought that this year I should skin them out and get a little bit of fur money from them. I'm alright on skinning until I get to the head. What do I need to do about skinning the head? Also, can I just roll them up and freeze them, or do I need to flesh them before I sell them?

Welcome to the board Snareman.
If you take just a minute to skim through even just the front page of past posts here in the Trapping & Fur Handling forum you'll find a lot of answers.
It seems we just get done hashing a subject over and over for weeks and right at the tail end someone pops in and asks the initial question all over again. (sigh)
Were all more then happy to help with anything but please take the time to read some previous topics. You'll get a lot of answers.

Snareman
you can freeze the raw fur. however i don't like hearing people say just roll it up and freeze. never roll a fur. if a fur gets rolled the middle of the roll will have a number of layers of fur around it. the fur is what keeps the critter alive during the cold winter it is a great insulator and it will take a long time to freeze solid. also after it freezes it needs to thaw before you can work on it. the outside will thaw and the inside will take days to thaw. while the outer layers are thawed bacteria can work on the outer while we wait a day or so for the inside to thaw. please fold skins don't roll them. a few folds can be opened up as the fur thaws and it will thaw more even or more at the same time. hope i didn't confuss you.
Sportingly
Cracker

Back