trap chain length

gbsa

How long should the chain be on my traps? I have #3 bridgers for coyote and #1 1/2 and #2 victors for fox and coon. There is also a shock spring on the coyote traps. I have 2 1/2 and 3 foot rebar for stakes. Thanks for any help. gbsa

I wouln't go much over 18 inches. A longer chain gives the animal a running start and more chance of pulling out or breaking a leg that will then allow him to tear out. If he has enough chain he can end up pulling the stake or breaking the wire or whatever you use to attach your trap.

GB , keep them between 6-10 inches.I made some up long this year and dont like the cutting I am getting.Never had that problem on short chains.

If your primary target is coyote, forget the 6" and 10" with coyote, he WILL pump the stake on this short of chain(any of you boys ever watch a coyote fight a chain)if you catch him right(front foot) he will fight almost straight up and on a short chain this is pump time, 2 to 3' will help prevent stake pump. Drags sets, go with 8'to 10', 6' is ok if heavy rock or vegatation. Also use an extra swivel at the stake and "S" hooks not wire.

Crossed double stack will hold about anything as long as you connect to the cross chain. One stack will pump about 2" and lock up the whole thing, this is a great set up for sand or mud. And as far as pull out go, it is more of a condition or pan tension then anything else, if you are catching them by the pads, then your tension is to light, the bracelet should catch just above the foot and be pulled down to the pads. Over the years I have put a thousand+ in the back of my truck, very few pull outs, sure you will always get one or two, most of the time by the animal stepping part on the jaw and the pan or cover at the same time. Not alot you can do about that. Some of the old Northwood traps had pans that were to big, and I just cut them down abit and got rid of the square corners. This seemed to help with making sure that the foot was more centered before firing.

thanks Grayghost, I will be usimg bridger #3 and the pan was modified for me by a local trapper now I know why. I'm going out mid week this week and will post any results. hopefully I will have good luck but I am looking forward to learning something.

my favorite set is two 18" double staked with 10" chain and two inline swivels hooked to a centerlined D-ring. I always run laminated offset jaws and 4 coils. very rarely is there even a breaking of the skin on the foot with that mix.

I use 3 links plus two swivels, thats it. Double staked with 18 inch stakes, cross staked. It doesn't move, period. The ground is solid and its hard most of the time to get 18 inches of stake in the ground. I usually have to pull them out with a spade or a prybar. If the soil is sandy, I would imagine you would need much longer stakes.

Back