Today's Hare

beagler

Our five day hare season started this week here in PA. Went out with dad and a good friend this morning. Temp was about 15 degrees with high winds but the hounds performed flawlessly. They started pounding almost right out of the box. Took 2 1/2hrs for us to each take a hare. We are limited to one each day per hunter here in PA.
Me and Dad
20101228-PC280268.jpg

A good day of running
20101228-PC280277.jpg

Originally Posted By: beaglerOriginally Posted By: benellibrianA five day season is all you get there?
Yep
That's crazy!!
Now you say "Hare"...
Is the Snowshoe Hare season only 5 days long, but do you have other rabbits, like cottontail, with a longer season?
If so, how long?
Thanks,
Mark

Our small game season (cottontail included) starts in mid October and only closes for rifled deer/bear seasons. It ends in mid February. Snowshoes are separate, not a very large population here in PA.

Looks like a great day. Up here we're only allowed to shoot snowshoe hare, the season runs from Oct 1 to Mar 31... a 5 day season would be brutal.

That looks like a lot of fun.

I used to have good beagles many years ago, and enjoyed the heck out of rabbit hunting.

Nice!!! Reminds me of when I had my beagle.He was a dandy.I have a question for you guys.Did the snowshoe hares used to be bigger? Or am I just remembering wrong.

The guys that have had the opportunity to hunt both snowshoes and cottontails. Would you say one is easier to hunt than the other?

Hare tend to make larger circles than cottontail, sometimes taking our hounds out of hearing. One good thing about hare however, they don't hole up like cottontail. They run til we catch the hounds or kill the rabbit most times.
Some areas we hunt it's difficult to get a cottontail to stay above ground.

I hear that...some of the areas around here the rabbits seem to be nocturnal and stay underground during the day. Gotta catch them on the right day

Man O Man,,, look at the back feet on them buggers.
We used to see Snowshoes up in the high country when I lived in Nevada, but we were always Deer hunting so never shot any. I remember them being a LOT bigger. I thought the first one I saw running through the sage was a Coyote at first glance. LOL

Love that little dog in the pic. He could get a meal at my place anytime.

What's the O/U your dad's holding? Might be the angle, but it looks like a combo gun from my screen.

Nice pix anyway, and a great way to spend some time with your dad.
Thanks for sharing.

Back