Extended Bolt Handle ?

joebogey

I just bought my first AR, a DoubleStar a couple of weeks ago and mounted a Nikon Buckmaster on it. It makes it a PITA to chamber the first shell because the charging handle is under the scope. Anyone using an extended charging handle and if so, what brand and why that brand?
Thanks Guys

Last edited:
Badger Ordanance has had the tactical latch out for some time. This will solve the problem you have. The only draw back that I know of is if you use a sling in can poke you in the back.

I'd like to hear comments on Vltor Gunfighter charging handles. The have three sizes. What size works best?

This is the one I got back when i was short on funds but needed a "Badger Ordanance" style charge handle lever. I have handled two that are "real" and this is absolutly identical in terms of function.

Considered the Ambidextrous Latch but passed since I always charge with my left hand when shooting prone anyway.

Last edited:
I had a Badger tactical latch on my first AR and it was OK. I won't get another one. There was nothing wrong with it. But I caught it on everything, all the time...

I just put a BCM Gunfighter medium profile (no. 4) charging handle in my Armalite. It looks to be the bee's knees. I got the pre-production model that costs 1/2 of the standard model does. Since I don't plan to be kicking any doors in any time soon I think it is a fine route to travel.

I just bought the BCM Mod 3 for both my Rock River and the YHM upper I'm building. So far I love it. I have fairly large fingers, and flip-up caps on my Nikon which led to a skinned knuckle every time I had to charge the weapon. The Gunfighter solved that issue so well that I bought another for the new upper.

Joey

The best charging handle is a Side Charging from SD but its a little expensive.LOL. For your needs the Badger Ordanance is a go one.

Originally Posted By: Roger LondonI just put a BCM Gunfighter medium profile (no. 4) charging handle in my Armalite. It looks to be the bee's knees. I got the pre-production model that costs 1/2 of the standard model does. Since I don't plan to be kicking any doors in any time soon I think it is a fine route to travel.

Does it seem to be working good? Half the price sounds good to me!

Pick what you like, but remember that some of those like Badger and PRI are steel latches. The will wear the aluminum notch in the upper. No fun when you drop the hammer and the C/H punches you in the nose!!

BCM/Vltor #3 is the best imo, plus it won't bend like the factory jobs.

I have the BCM medium latch. Seems to be a good compromise. Plenty big enough to get a hold of and doesn't really protrude too much.

Originally Posted By: HPWI have the BCM medium latch. Seems to be a good compromise. Plenty big enough to get a hold of and doesn't really protrude too much.

This,,,

I kinda crawl the buttstock. I need cantilever mounts to get the scopes eyepiece forward enough. Usually an inch or more ahead of the charging handle.

If I held different I'd do a side charging handle upper. Probably a LAR Grizzly left side charging upper reciever build.

We sell a Nordic Components Machined Charging Handle w/ Badger Latch which is pretty slick. You get the advantages of the 1 piece machined charging handle rather than a forged piece and the tac latch
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: ValkyriePick what you like, but remember that some of those like Badger and PRI are steel latches. They will wear the aluminum notch in the upper.

I've noticed the edge of the latch notch on my flat top upper is becoming rounded. The scope overhangs the C/H approx 1" so I have been using the little finger on my right hand to pull the C/H back. This results in the latch dragging over the notch, putting wear on it. Lately I've been trying to pull the latch back to clear the notch before pulling the charging handle to the rear. Is there a latch that reduces this problem or do the replacement longer latches pivot away from the notch better with the increased leverage?
Flyrodder

It's just like the regular one, except for it has a little more material cut away near the roll pin hole. It also doesn't have all the cool laser etching. BCM's website explains it a lot better than I can and they have pics. I don't know how much longer they will have them though, and I would think once they're gone, they're gone.

Back