8 year olds take on High fence hunting

fitdjr

My son and I were watching a hunting show on T.V. last night. He is ate up with hunting right now and is watching and playing any "hunting" game he can.So we are watching and they are shooting some monsters and talking about seeing 5 or 6 over 200 inches that afternoon. Well my first thought was this place has to be fenced and went on-line and checked it out and sure enough it was. So I explained what the deal was to the best of my knowlege about high fence hunts. and of course without hesitation he looks at me and says "well that's no fun isn't that cheating?" got a good little chuckle.

I am not going to touch the issue of high fence, but good job on getting your son interested in hunting and the outdoors,, oh nice bass by the way..

I presume that the fish in your pic is in a pond....most likely stocked. The fish cant get away...they have to eat....you catch them , it is fun, you get a good number of them, you take them home and eat them...I guess you are high fish fishing....and if you are in a river then maybe not but the same scenario takes place every day by many sportsman, their boys and girls, wives and girlfriends, Gramps and Grannys ,ect. All have fun, get something, can do it again without going to Canada. Same with stocked pheasants, quail,exotic game in many states....don't see any cheating from where I sit. Not down on you , just saying.... Jim

o.k. #1 the fish was caught out of the Shenandoah River so yes this fish could get away(and trust me many do when I fish!) so don't presume
tt2.gif
Quote:don't see any cheating from where I sit. I am assuming you are not an 8 year old so maybe you are much wiser to the world. Trust me they call them like they see them I did not start this to ruffle any feathers about high fence hunting. I am sure there are many that enjoy it and will continue to. Is it for me no, but if someone shows me one of their trophies they shot on one of these hunts I will admire it for the beautiful animal it is and just hope one day I will see something half the size of one those beast step through my piece of property.

I raise whitetails for hunting reserves and no I don't hunt at them , I have access to good hunting near me and the largest buck I have with the bow is 145 inches. The more that hunt in reserves takes the strain off wild hunting. I don't gun hunt so that part of things doesn't concern me. I just don't like to see the future of hunting, Kids, to take a bad opinion of something that they haven't seen or done first hand. There are many misconceptions about reserves and the "fish in a barrel" idea is not true or that it is easier than any other type of hunt from the same situation , that is usually from hunting stands watching for travel or near feeders which is how much of "real " hunting is done in southern states because of habitat. Most reserves tell me their clients are usually elderly, not able to take walking and cold as they used to, them with their grandchildren for hunts they both can participate in and enjoy, or hunters with wife/girlfriends that like the format better than beating the bushes. The fences keep out wild deer and keep in the ones the reserve has paid for not to confine them in a corner to be killed. Just trying to give some education to anyone here with questions on reserves.

wow! glad I live in Illinois where the deer get big all on their own! I would never in my life hunt high fenced deer if you call it hunting. There is no comparison at all between a lake or pond and fencing in deer that have been juiced up to trophy size. If your too old to get around or too young to know the difference, its time to hang it up! If there arnt "trophy" deer in your area, Anything you get is a trophy. There are tons and tons of propertys that are managed and people have huge success without fencing that area in! The white tail deer is the americans true game and that shouldnt be dirtied up by putting them in a fence and shooting them. I am a diehard bowhunter and getting a trophy is earned by many hours in the field and having plenty of strikeouts. Anyone that cant hunt them outside of a fence shouldnt be hunting. period

Here in MT you can't bait, and I've never hunted from any stand (except duck hunting blind) so I don't know from experiance about those cases.

I have used "farmed" birds in the offseason to train my labs, but they can and do fly and they can and quite often do get away. I do eat them, but don't personally call that hunting. I also wouldn't hunt high fence anything, and like stated above, although I can appreciate a big buck of anykind, I don't think a guy bragging about a canned hunt buck holds a candle to the real deal, he hit a target basically, and killing a domestic buck and hunting shouldn't be in the same universe, let alone the same sentence. That's my personal opinion and don't have any problem with others doing it, its just not fir me and doesn't suit MY "hunting" style.

Fin

Last edited:
So then it's hunting when you use a high power rifle to shoot and animal 100+ plus yards? I call it target pratice and the only real hunting is when you use your bare hands to take the animal FAIRLY!!! Do you use a rod and reel loaded with monofilament line to catch fish? Thats not fair use your bare hand to make it fair. Do you use a e-caller to call coyotes? Thats not fair you are pushing a button and pulling a trigger, thats not hunting is it? See how stupid this is? It is legal, enough said.

Originally Posted By: CourtgusSo then it's hunting when you use a high power rifle to shoot and animal 100+ plus yards? I call it target pratice and the only real hunting is when you use your bare hands to take the animal FAIRLY!!! Do you use a rod and reel loaded with monofilament line to catch fish? Thats not fair use your bare hand to make it fair. Do you use a e-caller to call coyotes? Thats not fair you are pushing a button and pulling a trigger, thats not hunting is it? See how stupid this is? It is legal, enough said.

if thats towards me, For one It is NOT legal in Montana, so enough said, and i said i dont care if others want to do it and didnt say you shouldnt be allowed to do it, i said it is not for me. I also dont think using rifle or fishing pole is the same as shooting an animal in a fenced in area that was fed like a steer to grow bigger antlers , because when it comes down to it the animal cannot get away from you indefinatly when its fenced in, in the wild they can. not to mention where, what, and how i hunt, you actually have to HUNT to get within shooting distance of elk, not have the owner point out the one he wants you to shoot. Again this is all MY opinion only and i dont care what others do, it is not for me. Yes it is legal in someplaces and some places its not im sure, if its legal where you are and want to do it, Go for it.

My other issue is captive animals getting loose and spreading disease to wild animals, and then the wild animals have to be put down, which leaves less animals for those who actually want to hunt fair chase, one of the main reasons why Montana banned it 10 years ago.

Last edited:
I dont hunt with a high powered rifle (illegal in illinois), i dont use an e-caller on coyotes(cuz i cant afford one), and i do fish with a rod and reel. Fishing is fishing. There on person thats gonna tell me "hey theres a fish right there, hes a keeper! Cast to him!" I hunt deer with a BOW not a rifle. Its legal to use a shotgun, pistol, or muzzle loader here and i dont use any of those. Next to a speer, I use the purist of hunting methods. I would have more satisfaction shooting a basket 4 point on my own ground than I ever would shooting the world record whitetail inside a 500 acre pen! thats not hunting, its just killing! Theres no effort put forth therefore it doesnt mean anything to me.

So we dont subscribe to your way of thinking, so somehow that translates to us supporting PETA? that makes sense. Glad we can have intelligent conversation like adults without name calling..........Oh wait

Got to love that old gem. "You must accept me or PETA will win." PETA has been helping these weak arguments for 30 years. Alarmist arguments like that are a crutch, nothing more.

Don't mistake a lack of dissenting opinions for a majority of folks thinking like you. Your side of things has a tendancy of jumping into these discussions with false indignation long before the fair chase side gets involved. Most of us won't waste our breath.

You can do what you wish, especially on your own property. Just don't tell me I have to accept you and defend your methods. Especially when your methods give the other side a more convincing argument to sway the undecided.

Nate
8 year old at heart

Agree with it or not, defended it or not, its legal and there isnt a dang thing you can do it about it unless you join your buddies over at PETA and fight against it. When you join them over there make sure you try to get all types of HUNTING banned. Get over it.

Back