antler dye or stain

uttrapper

Does anybody have a stain or dye that can be used on deer horns that have been bleached by the sun for the last year or so. My sons head bleached out and we are going to do a european mount. Thanks

You can buy antler stain from taxidermy supply places, but it usually comes in quarts for about $13 to $18 a quart.

The Min Wax stain would probably be the best route.

I have used some good old wood stain before too, seems like the last I used was walnut colored. The regular kind not the gel. Might even try some linseed oil.

I had shoot a moose and the color on the horns were not the sam so I bought a small bottle of instant coffee and added water to the bottle then rubbed on the horns and when they were dry they looked great and that was many years ago and the still look great.

I've used stain, but be very cautious, it will be darker than you plan. The antlers suck it right up and it's near impossible to get it back out.
I used water based paint to match a fabricated replacement point on a muley and it worked great. I cut it heavily with water so that it was very light then worked it darker. The water based paint holds up fine on the wall indoors. They even make a clear if you want to shine them a bit when finished.

We stripped the velvet off my nice mulie and he stained the rack, I like the dark mountain like racks.
1127100925bmulie.jpg

Last edited:
Back