Coyote/Fox skin rugs?

Bob-NY

Do coyote or fox pelts make nice rugs? I certainly don't plan on putting one in a room with high traffic but somewhere out of the way just for looks. I think I'd like to have one made when I get one with a nice prime pelt. Any idea on how much one would cost?

I work for a taxidermist during the school year (also a coyote hunting buddy) and we do probaly 4-6 fox and coyote rugs a year they look awesome i will probaly do one myself this year. My boss has won quite a few awards and he does quality work so he might be a little higher in price then the regular guy down the block but if remember right we charge 250.00-280.00 for a coyote rug. well worth it when you see the product

------------------
"Aim small = miss small"

I had a coyote rug made several years ago. I believe it cost around $250.00 and was well worth the money. Great conversation piece.

Bob,
Coyote, and Fox both make excellent rugs. Not an item I'd care to have folks tramping across but , hey.
Deer, Elk, and Bear, are my style of rugs and still I dont let folks walk on em.

So far the responses are in the ball park. We have Coyote and Bobcat rugs priced at $250.00, and Fox at $200.
While your out priceing, be sure to ask whether or not it's an open mouth mount or not, and how many layers of felt the price includes.

~River Runner~

------------------
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

www.predatormasters.com

River Runner - Would you have any pics of these types of rugs both with and without the mouths open?? Is it important to have multiple layers of felt on the rug?

Thanks!

I don't have any pics myself Bob. Let me check with my partner, he's the one that does the mounting itself.

Multiple layers of felt only effects the looks. The felt is used as a border and runs around the outside edges of the hide. If two layers are used, usually it's a different color and it is extended out beyond the edges of the first layer giving the entire rug a two tone border.

~River Runner~

------------------
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

www.predatormasters.com

Sorry Bob, he doesn't have any either. Says he never took a picture of a rug before it left the shop.
I could scan a couple of pics from a supply catalog to show you the basics if that'd be of any help..??

~River Runner~

------------------
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

www.predatormasters.com

My wife has been after me for years to send in some of my nicer coyotes to have a bedspread made. USA Foxx has one in their catalog that she loves to look at.

Here's three case skinned and tanned coyote hides. The fellow I have do these skins and tans them and charges about $75 apiece now. I don't know what a rug would cost here in NW North Dakota.

fe3f05a4.jpg

and here's a nice fox rug with double felt

fe3f0525.jpg.orig.jpg

I had a friend of mine skin, tan, and do the rug for me and it cost me $50.00. However, that was about 20 years ago.

[This message has been edited by Silverfox (edited 09-28-2001).]

River Runner--thanks for the kind words about the red fox. It is the absolute reddest red fox I have ever seen. It didn't have white chest or belly hair--the hair had a reddish pink cast to it!!!

Back