dermestid beetles

I,m wanting to get some beetles and do skull work. Can anyone tell me about these, how do you keep them, temperature, container,bedding ect. Any info would be a help!

Try Connectcut valley Biological Supply in Southahampton Mass or do a serch on the internet for dermestid bettles, there are some good sites that will tell you every thing you need to know. Don't pay $60 for a starter kit I got mine from the above for $20

------------------

Keep your hooks sharp and you powder dry.
Wildoats

"The expactations of life depend upon diligence; the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools."
Confucius

Well, thanks for your cavalier attitude, Fred. Let's see if this fits in The tanning and fur Forum. If they can't figure it out, maybe they can at least come up with a more appropriate location 'cause I don't have a clue, other than I agree with Michael that it doesn't belong under "Firearms".
smile.gif

Good hunting. LB

I use Dermestid Beetles in my shop on a regular basis, Fred. What is it your looking to learn?
I keep mine in an aquarium, 25 gallon, andI put all my skulls in it that I may have future plans for for.
Dermestid Beetles feed on fat and meat tissue that is left on the bone. They breed and die off faster then you can say. "Holly cow look how fast they cleaned that skull".
If your running a shop with any amount of furs in it and using Dermestid Beetles I have to caution you, they have to be contained or you'll find yourself in serious trouble. They can ruin a fur house in a single breath.
They are handy if housed properly. Dangerous if not

~River Runner~

------------------
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

www.predatormasters.com

Thanks River Runner, I want them to clean up coyote skulls and maybe a few deer skulls. It's just for personal use, I have alot of mounts at home, but am planning on keeping these little critters where i work, any chance a guy could carry one home without knowing and get into trouble. Could a guy keep them in a big plastic cooler? How long will a colony last?(if they die quickly) How long to clean a coyote skull?

THANKS for the info! FRED

I don't think you need to worry about finding one out in the woods Fred. There is a domestic version amongst us that basically does the same thing though. They are about 3/4's of an inch long, black in color, and have a single small brown stripe on the middle of their back. Ever hang a squirrel tail on the garage wall and a few weeks later you notice all these little hair folics, and shell looking bug skins laying directly below it on the floor? That's our domestic version of the Dermestid Beetle at work on the tail.
But still they don't bother people. Both versions want dried meat, skin, and insects. And I have never had an insect of any kind bother anything that's tanned or mounted in my shop or my house. But that's because these things are completely tanned.

If you keep them fed, meaning cleaning skulls and the like they will breed enough that they will last a long time. I'm using the same bunch for two years now.

A cooler would work but they are going to need air so you won't be able to shut the lid on it. They also need to be kept fairly warm. I use a heat lamp, and I have a screen over the top of my aqauruim and an inch or so of coarse saw dust on the bottom.

As for time...that depends on how many you have and how much is left on the skull. I have about 200 Beetles and I cut off as much meat as possible and I also remove the eye balls from the sockets. They will clean a Coyote skull in a matter of weeks. Eye balls are the slowest going because they are like a gel and never really dry out fast on the inside. The beetles want dried meat.

~River Runner~

------------------
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

www.predatormasters.com

I to had mine in a 20 gallon tank, with heater and screen. Bone out skull best you can, remkove eye's an the brain with a pice of wire, let it dry for a day or so in the sun away flys under a screen, A good size bunch of bugs will clean it in a week. I think the key to it is remove as much moisture as you can before hand, cuts down on the stink and they will clean it faster

------------------

Keep your hooks sharp and you powder dry.
Wildoats

"The expactations of life depend upon diligence; the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools."
Confucius

Back