6.5 Grendel Questions

yoteslayer0927

My understanding is that if I buy a 6.5 Grendel upper that it will go on my .223 lower. My questions.....

1. Do I have to make any other changes to the gun??

2. How difficult is the 6.5 Grendel to reload?

Thanks

Brian

Last edited:
Yes it will fit without any problems, the only thing you will need is a mag for the 6.5,, i get mine from 44mag.com
great prices.

No problem at all to load for and there are a good many choices for factory rounds as well.

I just wrote a review on mine a few links down and all i had at the time was factory rds to test and do my break in with. Check it out .

And feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any other question i might help you with. Thanks Billy

Well the biggest thing is you will have to size up from 5.6 to 6.5 which will be the hardest thing.

Originally Posted By: HPWWell the biggest thing is you will have to size up from 5.6 to 6.5 which will be the hardest thing.

What do you mean here?

The grendel hull cant be sized up from the 5.6 , It is a whole different shell size,, you can buy the 6.5 hulls from Horanady, and Lapua

I am pretty sure that is just a typeO , You cant make a 223 in to a 6.5 Grendel

Not sure but thats the way i am reading it , is that his title is just a type O.

Lol let me know when you get your 5.6 Chambered.
Hornady brass just came in stock again..Lapua/AA..(same thing) has been in stock quite some time.
However make sure your ready to rock and roll reloading for the grendel before you get into it, because about the only thing you will be able to find factory loaded is the AA that runs $35 a box.
Haven't been able to get any factory hornady or any Wolf MPT for quite sometime.
You'll need the barrel/bolt/mag to do the swap.
Good luck.

Maybe this will help a little. Here is the Grendel compared to a 308 and 223.

Grendel_308-65-223web.jpg

If my memory is correct, the 6.5's family tree includes, 220 Russian, 7.62x39 and then the PPC family.

I know a couple of guys that size and fire form from 7.62x39; however, for me, buying 6.5 Hornady brass has been a lot easier.

Last summer, when I was first working with my 6.5, I shot this target. It took four rds. to get to black and then I hung another target.

Target17-3-10.jpg

Shot #5, then cranked the scope, shot #6&#7, cranked again and then shot 5 rds (#8-#12). Load was H322 and a 100gr. Nosler BT.

So far I'm very happy. Due to back problems I haven't had it out since. Next spring!

Nice write up.
Never had good numbers with the 100gr. BT's.
Yes the 6.5 Grendel does originate from the PPC family.
Lol i called Bill Alexander on some issues with the chamber on a barrel..Make sure you have time because he will tell you the life story of the cartridge.Good guy just loves to talk!
Anyway,
Another way to form 7.62x39 is hydroforming..kinda messy and you will want to use good dies(Redding)..or it ends up a headache.
Hydroforming
If you can try to find some IMI 7.62x39..it forms well and the neck is annealed.
I strongly recommend using Redding FL dies for all your grendel needs..its going to save you throwing stuff.Ive personally never used any Lee products however i have heard of plenty of guys having problems with them.
Get well soon claimbuster, so you can keep at em!

The Honady brass is pretty much in stock everywhere now $32 for 50.
I am having good luck out of the 120 NBT AA factory ammo just got all my stuff together for reloading , but if it shoots any better i dont know what i will do. I am very plesed with the groups i am getting from factory ammo.

IMG_4495.jpg

IMG_4494.jpg

IMG_4492.jpg

Last edited:
Nice shootin!
You shooting a BHW BBL?

Originally Posted By: WSMBUCKThe Honady brass is pretty much in stock everywhere now $32 for 50.
I am having good luck out of the 120 NBT AA factory ammo just got all my stuff together for reloading , but if it shoots any better i dont know what i will do. I am very plesed with the groups i am getting from factory ammo.

IMG_4495.jpg

IMG_4494.jpg

IMG_4492.jpg

Last edited:
Yes that one is a 24" 3Poly if you look back a page or 2 i did a review on it and have all my specs. Will be getting another in a 20" later on for a Little better carry rifle i built ths one mainly for deer hunting here in MS.

Originally Posted By: WSMBUCKOriginally Posted By: HPWWell the biggest thing is you will have to size up from 5.6 to 6.5 which will be the hardest thing.

What do you mean here?

The grendel hull cant be sized up from the 5.6 , It is a whole different shell size,, you can buy the 6.5 hulls from Horanady, and Lapua
I was just making a light hearted joke about the title.

Lol i dont know if anyone sensed the sarcasm
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: HPWOriginally Posted By: WSMBUCKOriginally Posted By: HPWWell the biggest thing is you will have to size up from 5.6 to 6.5 which will be the hardest thing.

What do you mean here?

I was just making a light hearted joke about the title.

What the who??????????

A topic about the 6.5 Grendel suddenly changes to the 5.6 Grendel which I have never heard of.

Lots of posters seem knowledgeable about this round. How have I become so ignorant when I am pretty much in touch with the shooting sports?

Jack

Back