Auction house or buyer?

Zipedo

When I was younger we always sold our fur in carcass. A few years back I started putting up my own hides. I have been going through NAFA and seem to fetch good prices but pay a 9% commision. I have never sold a stretched and dried pelt to anyone else. What do you guys recommend?

Here's some pretty popular names in our area, Zipedo. If you wanted to check out there prices. You may have dealt with some of them already if your THAT close to me.

Buckhorn Fur, Richland Ctr Wi.
Gruenwald Fur & Wool, Illinois.
Eitzen Fur, Minnesota.

North American Fur Harvesters travels around buying also, they'll take the furs action them off and then send you the money.

~River Runner~

------------------
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

www.predatormasters.com

Groenewold Fur & Wool out of Forreston, Illinois is the largest receiver of wild fur in the country and is also the largest exporter of wild fur. Most of the other fur buyers in the country sell to Groenewold, who then ship the hides overseas. Check out their website for 2001 fur routes (to be posted in October) for most Midwestern States:

http://www.gfwco.com/

We sell to both Groenewold and North American Fur Harvestors. It's a toss up on which is better from year to year, although North American is usually a little better before commission and shipping charges. If you like your money right away, go with Groenewold.

You will get better money from Groenewold if you put your fur up rather than left on the carcass.

[This message has been edited by WOLFER1 (edited 09-22-2001).]

Ten years ago my brother and I tried to sell some to a Groenewold route man. He tried screwing us and took out fur back home. I guess I might be narrow minded but I hold a grudge agianst them. I think I'll stick with NAFA. Thanks for the replies.

Chris

I've been screwed over by a few buyers, and I do also admit to returning the favor to a few of them as well. ( Only those who tried to do it to me first
smile.gif
)

I used to sell my fur only to a local buyer or two and another buyer who passed through town once a week during season. I believe he bought for Tom Zander.

When my local buyer finally retired, I started sending everything to NAFA. We had a couple of disagreements that first year, then for several years after that, I got nothing but great service and top prices.

Then a few years ago, Herman Jansen of NAFA decided to start playing politics with our commission. They had raised it several years before, and donated part of the proceeds to the NTA and part to the State Association from where the fur had originated. Herman "claimed" they could no longer afford to do this and they are now keep all of the commision promised to the NTA.

When they decide to drop the politics and BS, and send the money where it was promised, I'll consider selling to them again. Until them there are several good, reputable dealers who advertise in the Trapper and Predator caller magazine, several of who mow donate part of their commission to the NTA.

I'll be happy to send my business to them.

Back