Preserveing Bear Claws

Loel

I have a bear hide that I want to cut the claws off of to save. What is the best methode of preserveing them? I have seen where people tried to boil them. They split real bad. I don't want mine to end up like those. Is there a better way to do this?

Hi Loel, and welcome to Predator Masters.
There's really not a whole lot to bear claws. It's always a good idea to cut them off of the hide as far back as the first knuckle when removing them. This way you can clean the cartiladge off with a small wire wheel until the entire claw is exposed. Let them dry for a couple of days and then go ahead and clip the knuckle portion of it off so you only have the claw remaining.
Clean them up with a toothbrush and some Hydrogen Peroxide to kill any germs and your set to go. I've used a buffing wheel on them as a final touch, really makes em shine.

~River Runner~

------------------
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

www.predatormasters.com

Thanks River Runner. I knew there had to be a better way to do that. I had it ready to tan, the ears were turned,lips split, and all of that good stuff. Then I decided that I would wait for a bigger bear to rug out. I have several nieces and a nephew that have laid claim to the claws. I hate to get scalped, so I figured I had better get going on it.

Back