Cold Dip Dye's

furfrinder

I need some input from some of you guys that have used this stuff.I've trapped for some 23+ years, Mostly for fox & coyote and have never been able to dip my traps into raw gas simpley because of the oder.
Well this year I did it,in fact just 3 weeks ago.I have to say I liked the way they came out and the ease of it all. "I guess I'm lookng for any ( safe ) shortcuts in my old age."
Any how I was told that there was no need to wax them, I am one of those guys that dont stop when the freeze sets in, So even though I dont need to wax them surely it's bound to help."right" ?
Gve me your input. Thanks furfrinder

Furfrinder, welcome to Predator Masters
wink.gif

I thought some of our trappers would have responded to you by now, maybe they haven't gotton this far down the board yet.
Anyway, I'm not a trapper but I called my brother.. an avid trapper like yourself, this is what I got for ya.

Gasoline does a good job of dyeing the traps and cleaning them but gasoline has no place on the trapline. He tried it one year and 90%of his sets got dug up.
If you have soaked your traps in a gasoline based dye, the only way to remove the dye and 100% of the odor that he knows of is to resoak them in gasoline and scrub them up with a wire brush, then boil them. He said he hung his out in a tree for a while after that.

There's a new water based dye available in many colors called NBFormula 1. No Odor. He claims it does an excellent job and is all he uses now. No more dig ups.
As far as waxing, he claims that it's more trouble then it's worth, and isn't recommended. He said the NBFormula 1 puts a glass like coat on his traps and he uses cover hulls and/or freeze proof dirt in combination with that and it seems to be working fine.
Thats just one opinion, but I hope it helps.

~River Runner~

------------------
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

www.predatormasters.com

Originally posted by River Runner:
Furfrinder, welcome to Predator Masters
wink.gif

I thought some of our trappers would have responded to you by now, maybe they haven't gotton this far down the board yet.
Anyway, I'm not a trapper but I called my brother.. an avid trapper like yourself, this is what I got for ya.

Gasoline does a good job of dyeing the traps and cleaning them but gasoline has no place on the trapline. He tried it one year and 90%of his sets got dug up.
If you have soaked your traps in a gasoline based dye, the only way to remove the dye and 100% of the odor that he knows of is to resoak them in gasoline and scrub them up with a wire brush, then boil them. He said he hung his out in a tree for a while after that.

There's a new water based dye available in many colors called NBFormula 1. No Odor. He claims it does an excellent job and is all he uses now. No more dig ups.
As far as waxing, he claims that it's more trouble then it's worth, and isn't recommended. He said the NBFormula 1 puts a glass like coat on his traps and he uses cover hulls and/or freeze proof dirt in combination with that and it seems to be working fine.
Thats just one opinion, but I hope it helps.

~River Runner~

Thanks for the info River runner.
Thats what I was worried about,Having the smell linger on.I was told by some others that they had good luck with it,But I don't know weather or not they were canine trappers or not.
I did about 4 or 5 Doz. traps afew weeks ago and they turned out real nice, but I wanted some input from others. I sure as hell don't need any more diggers than what one normally run across in one season.
I use walnut hulls to do most of my dyeing on my traps, Then I always wax them, thats been the way I've done it most of my life.
Guess I should stick to what works.
Thanks again.
furfrinder

I have to agree with everything River Runner said. Don't like petroleum dips for traps intended to catch canines. But I have been told that what is done after the dipping is important. Hang them outside to air real good, preferably two to four weeks. It is good that you dipped them while the weather is still hot. The dip actually "cures" for lack of a better description. Hot weather helps it. I would even spray them with water a few times. Then store the clean traps in pine needles or something native. Don't bother waxing. The dip will protect the traps and the wax may actually trap some petroleum smell that has not evaporated yet. I have used the water based dip with good results. Don't use city water to mix the water based dip. Don't ask me why but the maker told me well water is the best way to mix. Adheres better to the traps for some reason. Hope this helps.

Furfrinder,
I can't speak for the coyotes in your area, but the coyote and fox in my home state of Iowa step right in to speed dipped traps without hesitation. Since you have dipped your traps already, just hang em up in a tree until you are ready to use them. Any gasoline odor will have long since evaporated by then. Here in farm country there is quite a lot of gas & oil that gets spilled here and there by farm machinery, and therefore is a pretty natural odor in the fields anyway. You won't need to wax your traps anymore either because the speed dip is a real good protector. Speaking of foreign odor problem, have you ever seen any natural smoked log wood on your trap line? Maybe a burned tree now and then and that's about it. The foreign odor myth is mostly just that, MYTH. O boy am I gonna get raked over the coals for letting that one out.
smile.gif

Thanks Curt & Rich for your input.
I have had those traps hanging in the tree since I dyed them.
And as far as the gas and it being petroleum so is trap wax at least it is petroleum based and it has an oder also, But At least not as strong a gas to my nose and not to the many canines I've taken over the years.
Rich, Did you ever open a whole new can of worms. I agree with you at least to a point on the oders, If they are used to the oder then thy may not shy away from a set.But then it's not a foreign oder to them . Other than that if their not used to that oder than you are asking for nothing but trouble on your line, At least that has been my experince, Especially if i happens to be human oders.
Either way I'm very grateful for everones input on this type of dye that I'm not used to, And anything else as far as that goes.
by the way it's supost to be furfinder, But I screwed up and hit enter.
Till next time, Good trapping & calling to all.
Furfrinder

Furfinder,
Yes, coyotes will react differently in other area's. I had good luck with fiberglass insulation under the pan and no pan cover. Monte Dodson tried that in texas and the pocket gophers dug some traps up. I have also caught spring coyotes with traps that I had left hanging in the garage and set em with bare hands. Crazy ain't it?

Yeah Rich I have to agree. What you said makes good sense. I never wear rubber boots and a lot of the time set traps with my bare hands. Drip sweat on the set. Washed traps at the carwash. I'm guilty of going the first two years on a lot of new traps by just boiling and setting! Tell me that don't smell like petroleum! LOL I think the gas dips probably got a bad rap from guys who tried dipping in the winter and not airing long enough. Furfinder, the way you have dipped and aired, I'm sure you will do fine. BTW, I hear white gas or Coleman works well in place of "gas". That may be what you used, I don't know.
smile.gif

Take care, Curt

I've a couple of friends who speed-dip and love it for their fox and coyote traps. I never liked the idea of dipping traps in Gas.
I did try it one year, And let them hang for 6 weeks before season opened. I had more dig ups and sprung traps that year than ever. And when the stuff got wet, it got slick. My beaver traps like to ate me up. I had to scrub and scrape the dog and notches on every one of them before I could use them in water.

Speed dip is one of those things that half the folks who try it, swear by it, the rest of us swear at it.

I hope you have good results.

Tim

Well again Thanks for the input.
I to have caught some with some undesireable sets that nothing should have come within a mile of. (by normal trapping stanards)
Like I said I only dyed 3 maybe 4 doz. to see how I like it , And if I do I wil do the rest next year.
To be honest I dident expect to receive this many replies on the subject.Its nice to see Ive found a site where guys are willing to help one another. Like said I'm not new to trapping by any means ,but a site like this is a great place for the new and less experenced trappers to gain alot of knowledge.
and a place whereI can come and chat with some of you that have the same interests that I do. Thanks again. Bill
p.s. can one of you tell me how in the heck to take the R out of furf R inder? I do need everyones help on this darn computer. HA HA
[This message has been edited by furfrinder (edited 09-02-2001).]

[This message has been edited by furfrinder (edited 09-02-2001).]

Back