.223 for coyote; V-max or spire point bullets

schlaggerman

Which bullet type do you fellas prefer for coyotes. I'm shooting a R-15 in .223 and plan on using 55gr. bullets. Do you get adequate penetration with the V-max bullets on coyotes? How about the spire point lead tip bullets?

I've used 50 gr Vmax, 52 gr HP, 55 gr SP. They all kill coyotes dead but the 1st 2 shoot better out of my Savage. I have gotten a few more splashes with the Vmax, but then I've also never had an exit hole and I have had exits with the 55 gr SP. After I shoot up my stock of 350 Vmaxes, I'll probably go back to the 52 gr HP.

I would use V Max with an AR because the feed ramps on mine always deform the lead tips on the bullets. Maybe accuracy is not affected, but I'd rather not take a chance...

I like the 50 grain Vmax.....55 grain pill should perform similarly. It expands nicely across a variety of velocities and has a fairly high BC for the longer shots.

I am shooting 55 grain Vmaxes out of my AR and having a great time. They put big holes in coyotes out of my 22-250 but are much more fur friendly in the 223. Spire points were less fur friendly but I have not shot one in a while so I can't remember how bad it was...

I'm getting some good accuracy with a Stevens 200 and 60 gr. V-Max, but have only shot groundhogs with it.

Has anyone used 58 gr. V-Max in a .243? If so, is it fur friendly or not?

Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't, LOL. Depends how close/far they are, and how/where you hit them.

I've had them go in fine, and not come out, perfect for you fur hunters I suppose...

I've had them splash/blow up and not exit, sometimes they were DRT, sometimes they were trying to make a run for it...

Sometimes they leave a nice silver dollar exit hole in the ribs, other times you'll have a pie plate hole in the onside or offside shoulder.

All just really depends, I stopped using 55g NBTs and 58g VMAX at 3850-4000fps for that reason. Just not consistent enough DRT performance. Those bullets are just bombs on coyotes and pretty much explode on impact or within the first couple inches on a coyote.

I went to 70g NBTs at 3500-3600fps and haven't had a problem with runners since. Lot better track record of keeping them down with 1 shot with the little heavier/slower bullet.

But hey, speed kills right???

Some peoples kids, lol.

Kyotekiller,

Thanks for that information. I had no idea how the bullet might perform. I've been hoping to find a bullet that might not blow holes in the offside of coyotes, and especially bobcats, but wanting to use a .243 if possible. I may be asking for too much from that cartridge.

As to the 70 gr. NBTs, what about pelt damage? Have you taken any cats with it?

ARCOREY used that bullet in his .243 on groundhogs last summer, and most didn't exit.

I'm shooting a Rem. Model 7 that has a 20" barrel, so the velocity would be down somewhat, even with the 58 grainers.

Id bet if you hit a cat or a fox with a 58g vmax on his shoulder at anything less then 200 yards, itd be hanging by his belly and back hair...

But to answer your question, no I have never shot any cats, only seen 1 bobcat in my life come to think of it, and that was only for a split second as he ran across the road infront of me. Shot a few fox, but none with the 243.

If your not blowing holes on the offside with the 243 and those light 55s or 58s, you'll blow em on the onside or point of impact at close range. I can PM you a couple pics I've shoulder shot with them 55s and 58s at 100-200 yards, and lemme tell ya, its not for the faint of heart when there literally about 6-8" holes, had it happen on exits and entries...

The 70s are not to bad on dogs unless you hit them in the shoulder at 200 yards and under. They usually leave a fifty cent piece to silver dollar hole though if the range is past 200 and happen to hit bone or if you plug em in the ribs. I've been super happy with them.

6mm/06, the most fur friendly load in a 243 is with a 85g Barnes Tripple shock with 39.5g of IMR 4064, tiny hole in and out, accuracy is 1/2".

Never shot any cats with the XXX Barnes.

Thanks Ackleyman. I've been looking at the TSX and wondering if it works well. It would make a good bullet for predators and deer / antelope.

I have an R15 Carbine and shoot 50 grain V's out of it. They always exit on behind the shoulder shots. Have not shot one dead in the shoulder with it. I have shot coyotes facing me and it didn't exit one time and it did on the other. I am shooting the new 53 gr V's in the Superformance now and they are accurate in the R15. When deer season goes out finally Jan 15 I will be taking it calling.

Back