skining a yote

jwcw13

howdy fellers,
I have never skinned a yote and was wondering where to start. Should I skin it just like a deer ,I'm well trained in the skinning of this awsome animal, or are they even anything alike?
thanks
jwcw13

Well, I have to admit I've never tube skinned a Deer, and that's how I like to skin coyotes.
No, seriously JW...the only real difference is the coyote isn't going to be gutted out before you skin it.

Everyone's got thier own technique. I like to hang em up by the hind legs, legs apart on a gambrel. Make a cut about three inches from the hind paw towards the anus on the inside of each rear leg. Stay away from the anus and genitalia by cutting around them instead of through them, being carefull to leave the tail attached the the rest of the hide.
Once you have the bottom opened up you start pulling and cutting and pulling and cutting. Peel the hide right down around the carcass like your peeling a banana
Coyotes skin tough and the fresher the critter is the easier it is to do.

~River Runner~

------------------
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

www.predatormasters.com

jwcw13,
If you want to learn how to skin a coyote or any other fur bearer, you need to get this video. It is done by Roy Finley of Finley Furs and it is very informative.
You can get in touch with him at:
Finley Furs
Route 1, Box 45
Claude, Tx. 79019
Ph: 806-944-5464
This video will show you how to tube/case skin a coyote in 2 minutes, shows how to skin different animals. Care for hides after skinning, fleshing and putting on stretchers etc. Great video! Got mine back around the first of the year, and I'm waiting for this fall to try it all out. I'm not sure of the cost, but it was worth the price for me.
Anyway, give Roy a call or drop him a line.

JW,
Coyotes are skinned differently than deer. Fur buyers want coyotes to be "case" skinned. The "two minute coyote" video which has already been recommended is a MUST see in my opinion.

Get The "two minute coyote" It's the best coyote skinning video ever produced. I've taken 15-20 minutes to skin every coyote for years. We made a little set up like Finley has and now we do them in about five minutes, with plenty of pauses for conversation. I can skin 5 coyotes with his method and still not be as winded as I get doing it by hand on just one.

Back