Drags or Stakes?

Tim,
I don't trap anymore but when I did trap, I learned to double stake for coyotes. Later on I found out that the Iowa disposable stakes (earth anchors) also work well.

When I am only running a few dozen traps, I like the anticipation and surprise of following up a drag. Plus, your catch isn't out where someone can find it before you!

Drags are not to popular in North Dakota, because there often isn't enough obstacles for the drag to catch on to. Your coyote could go to the next zip code before the drag stops him. The earth anchors are gaining in popularity, because they work and they consume less space and are easy to work with. Another concept that I expect to see used more is slide wires. The set-up here is a 14 ga or so wire anchored on both ends with your trap attached via a drowner attachment. Your animal can only move down the wire into whatever heavy cover you want him to be in (e.g. cattails, phragmites, etc.)

Drags are a nessary evil for coyotes. I don't like them, but use them when I need to preserve location or the ground is frozen. I then will use a mound set.
Disposable stakes are the only way to go when one has to travel a ways to put a set in, because they are light.

Back