H4831 vs. H4381SC... What's the diff?

I went to work up some 190gr. loads for my .300 Win Mag and found way less than pound of H4381 left in the jug. Hardly enough for the 20 rounds I had planned on. I come to find out that H4381 has be "replaced" with H4381SC. Seem that "SC" stands for "short cut". As opposed to the original "long cut". I was told it's "the exact same stuff made smaller to meter better". To me, it seems as this would speed up the burn rate. But I was told it didn't.

What says the PM collective... Is the H4381SC the same as the old, non "SC" powder? And if it's different, how do I alter my current loads?

Exact same powder they just offer it in the SC to meter better thru a powder thrower. Same thing and you can still buy H 4831 as well.

I like the SC as I think it packs better in the case.

Are you mixing up the numbers on purpose ?

I agree H4831 and H4831sc are the same thing. Use one or the other in my 25-06 and 243 all the time.

but a powder marked H4381sc could be very different, if there's even a powder with that title.

I certainly know not to confuse IMR4831 against H4831. They are different, The IMR is hotter.

They are the same powder. I like the SC better as well to because it is so much easier to load up and the FPS of my loads through the chronograph are more consistant.

Originally Posted By: Bigdog2Are you mixing up the numbers on purpose ?

OOPS... Looks like I suffered a case of fingerpushbuttonitis in the title. The numbers for both should read 4831. Sorry for the confusion.

Back