Cheese ??

Grampas Shop

Ok, I have been smoking cheese as long as outside temps allow it and have had really good luck with the way it is turning out.

Now the question, I ordered a device that "Cold Smokes" or it can be used with heat. I am thinking this deal will be the cats meow for smoking cheese. What is the thoughts on do I need to have a little bit of heat going in the grill while I am "Cold Smoking"?? I am thinking if you have a little bit of heat, it will help open the pores of the cheese to allow more smoke to absorb into it.

I think you are correct,, I was always taught that to really get the 'true flavor' from cheese, it needs to be set out at room temperature for awhile....

I know that when cooking with cheese, the flavor will generally change as the heat is applied..

So, I would think that to absorb the smoke, it would need heat as well...

In doing a lot of looking and reading today, I find that you dont need heat with cheese. I was just going by wood finishes work better if the wood is above a certain temperature to open the pores, was just thinking the same would apply to smoke penetrating the cheese. One of the sites I read said that 30-45 minutes of smoke was enough, then the next site said to go 4-6 hours.

Ok guys, this is the "Cold Smoker" I ordered (smallest model). With no charcoal going I was able to put 12 8oz blocks of cheese on my grill, normally with charcoal going, 4 or 5 blocks was all I could do.

The smoke daddy put out an unbelievable amount of smoke, which the small one starting out full lasted for 1 hour and 10 minutes. I will be trying this cheese in a couple of weeks and will see if I need to go a little longer or shorter with the smoke.

I am going to be doing a couple of pork tenderloins this weekend for pheasant hunters that are coming out and will use the Smoke Daddy to provide a little more smoke to the process.

Ok guys, I am giving the "Smoke Daddy" a big 2 thumbs up. I couldn't handle the smoke smell coming from the frig on Saturday and had to cut into some of the cheese. To me it is just right, very good flavor (using Apple wood).

Also last weekend when I did the pork tenderloins on the grill, I used my normal chunk of wet hickory on the coals and then also did some of the Jack Daniels pellets in the Smoke Daddy. Came out really good with a great smoke ring. I refrained from putting any bbq sauce on the last few minutes just to give it a good test and it really turned out great.

The "Smoke Daddy" looked like a very interesting little tool. I think it would be great for our smaller sausage smoker. Keep us updated.

Back