Rifle brand choice.

Which model 70 are you looking at? The extreme weather SS is a really nice gun, like mikethehunter said, it has a Bell & Carlson stock with an aluminum bedding block and is a higher quality stock than the injection molded Tikka. The new model 70's are really nice, made here in the US, and they have a good accuracy guarantee.

Originally Posted By: CGRWhich model 70 are you looking at? The extreme weather SS is a really nice gun, like mikethehunter said, it has a Bell & Carlson stock with an aluminum bedding block and is a higher quality stock than the injection molded Tikka. The new model 70's are really nice, made here in the US, and they have a good accuracy guarantee.

I was just replying to your avatar...Nice with a rack like that who needs a face.
thumbup.gif

Woooooppss just made page 2.

Last edited:
I cant comment on the "new" model 70. The older ones I have owned were not as accurate as I thought they should have been. Most shot close to 2" at 100 yds. I prefer my rifles to shoot 1" or better, and most of my other brands will do this with factory ammo.

Thanks to all that have replied. I hoped to avoid the
"my preferences are best, and yours suck" crowd, but alas
this is a public forum. FWIW, I don't own a pretty wood
stock rifle...Er well, if I get one, the stock is immediately
replaced with a synthetic stock. Even all of my shotguns,
except one pretty O/U have had all of the stocks replaced
with those horrible plastic things.
rolleyes.gif

First, I was mistaken. It is not the "Ultimate Shadow".
I want a stainless/synthetic rifle, so it is the "Weather
Extreme SS"...Which has the B&C stock.

Oh, Hog I have some of high end composite stocks, with
aluminum bedding blocks on some of my rifles. In one
case I took a cheap plastic injection molded stock off,
and put a vented varminter composite on and the groups
went to [beeep]. I had to square the pillars, and play
with the action screws until the groups went back to
impressive...Sometimes those plastic POS stocks actually
shoot. That POS Tikka T-3 in 223 Rem. has turned some
.2 MOA groups. Sometimes we lose track of the goal.
I could care less about what a rifle looks like...It can
be pork chop hanging ugly as long as it shoots one ragged
hole groups.

I own two Savage rifles that are a prime example of that.
lol.gif

Squeeze

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bernie P.My choice would be the new Win.I prefer the Featherweight but I'd be happy with any FN Win.

Bernie,

Do you have any experience with the accuracy of the new FN
Model 70s?

Squeeze

Last edited:
Sorry no but I've come across quite a few posts from those that do and most all say they're very accurate out of the box.I have drooled over one at my local shop with really nice wood on it.Fit/finish great and the bolt was the smoothest I've ever come across on a new gun.

Originally Posted By: Orneryolfart357Keep bedding the wood stocks, paying for new triggers.. "the list goes on" Lots of folks like the Tikka.. Buy it and Hunt..... Remmi.. Buy it... ask how to make it shoot.. Fix it... and then Hunt!

tired.gif
Man,,, talk about predictable?
tired.gif

Back on topic,,,, Not much help, but a young fellow recently brought a new FN in 308 to the range that printed as good of groups as I've ever seen from a factory rifle shooting factory ammo.
I didn't shoot it or try the trigger, but did handle it, and liked everything I saw.
The fit and finish was nice, and the bolt was VERY smooth.
That's only one example, but I'd buy the Winny before the Tika.
Of course, there are few rifles I wouldn't choose over a Tika, so my opinion is pretty biased.

JMO
Luck

Funny thing is, choosing metal parts over plastic should be an easy decision for anyone, no matter how gun savvy they may or may not be. Yet some still find a way to screw up said decision, and then have the audacity to try and justify it to others
rolleyes.gif

No matter how you slice it, fact is, todays Tikkas were designed with one thing in mind, that being cost-cutting. Hence the plastic parts, only one action length offering, and the abomination of a "recoil lug".

I'm sure for those of you who don't shoot that often, and/or don't subject their equipment to that much abuse, they'll serve you right well.......
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunFunny thing is, choosing metal parts over plastic should be an easy decision for anyone, no matter how gun savvy they may or may not be. Yet some still find a way to screw up said decision, and then have the audacity to try and justify it to others
rolleyes.gif

No matter how you slice it, fact is, todays Tikkas were designed with one thing in mind, that being cost-cutting. Hence the plastic parts, only one action length offering, and the abomination of a "recoil lug".

I'm sure for those of you who don't shoot that often, and/or don't subject their equipment to that much abuse, they'll serve you right well.......
thumbup.gif

2Much,

Again I think you are changing the objective of a rifle.
My objective is to get little groups. Not objectify a
rifle as some work of art, with no tolerance to change
beyond traditions. Plastic is tough, and in many cases
tougher than steel and aluminum. I have had more than
one metal magazine turned to scrap by heavy booted feet,
or some other clod hopper move. I ran one of those POS Tikka
plastic mag over with my 4 wheeler, cleaned it up,
and it runs just fine.

You are welcome to your preferences, but PHULEASE don't
denigrate other's preferences when they don't match your.
For many of us lesser beings, plastic rifle parts are
just fine, if the rifle shoots itty bitty groups.
tt2.gif

Squeeze

I am a committed Tikka T-3 lite stainless fan. Have one in .270 and 22-250. Would not hestiate to own another. I would buy one in .204 on sight.

squeeze, I'll be sighting in my mod 70 ss extreme weather this weekend, as well as working up some loads with barnes 168 gr mrx's, so i'll let you know about the accuracy. As has been already stated by a couple others about the new FN winchester's, the fit and finish on all I have handled has been excellent, and the bolts very, very smooth.

I love my Tikka .270WSM, plastic and all. Mine does get out, takes a beating, never breaks, and shoots way better than it should for the money it cost. I would also buy a .204 t3 lite on sight. I like guns that shoot well. It does, plastic and all. I haven't been on this site in months and now I remember why.

You stated at the beginning that the rifle was for "rugged country big-game hunting". Now you say your main objective is "shooting little groups". Which is it?
confused.gif

For shooting tiny groups, neither the Winny nor Tikka would be my first choice. It is simply not what either rifle was designed for. For rugged country big game hunting, the Winchester is a more durable, reliable, time-proven design IMO. For hunting in rough conditions, I'll gladly take durability/reliability and give up a little in the accuracy dept. if need be.........

Originally Posted By: Squeeze
Again I think you are changing the objective of a rifle.
My objective is to get little groups. Not objectify a
rifle as some work of art, with no tolerance to change
beyond traditions. Squeeze

One of the most important things to accurately shoot a rifle is stock fit. Now we all like to shoot itty bitty groups off the bench. But in the real world of hunting a bench group is of zero importance. Yes it is nice, but truly irrelevant.

What is relevant is how well you can shoot in hunting conditions. This is where the quality of a better stock. And a proper fitting stock are of utmost importance. Every single factory rifle out there is capable of hunting accuracy. So being slightly more accurate off the bench truly is not important.

Accuracy is just one of many variables of a quality rifle. In todays market shooters focus far too much on bench accuracy or itty bitty groups. But very few focus on the other factors. So Tikka and Savage can pass on garbage stocks and shooters will buy them because their rifles shoot fairly well off the bench. Try competing against a fellow with a proper stock in hunting situations. You will soon find out how immaterial your bench shooting accuracy is. Tom.

Tikka will give you an accuracy of 3 shots under an inch at 100 yards. Several of my customers tell me they get close to 1/2 inch groups. Winchester will not give you an accuracy guaranty. Since you already have some Tikkas and happy with them then my guess is that they fit you well. You can have a nice fitting rifle that is not much good if you cannot hit what you aim at on long shots. The clips on the Tikka are pretty indestructible. Winchester does make a fine rifle and would probably serve you well. For big game, a Winchester should be accurate enough for you. For the money, I would go with the Sako A7, 5 shot 1 inch group and a nice stock.

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunYou stated at the beginning that the rifle was for "rugged country big-game hunting". Now you say your main objective is "shooting little groups". Which is it?
confused.gif

I want both. Rugged country big-game shooting, can mean long
shots. If I can get a rifle to consistently shoot .7-.8 MOA,
I know I am good out to 500 yards...I practice at 600m.
As I stated, my Tikka T-3 223 Rem. has turned some .2 MOA
groups, and averages .5 MOA. That is itty bitty enough for
me. When it takes off the head of a feral cat, 150 yards
out, leaning over a tractor fender, I am fairly comfortable
it handles real world shooting conditions.
wink.gif

Hog makes some good points about flimsy stocks in field
conditions. Consistent resting points or bipod use have
to be considered. I qualify loads on the bench, I shoot
my rifles as they will be carried and fired afield. A
.5 MOA rifle can go to a 3 MOA rifle in the field with
careless use, no practice, or just plain ignorance.

Squeeze

Originally Posted By: Squeeze When it takes off the head of a feral cat, 150 yards
out, leaning over a tractor fender, I am fairly comfortable
it handles real world shooting conditions.
wink.gif

Now You're talking!!!!
laugh.gif

It's a well known fact among my hunting buddies that I'll wreck a truck trying to get pulled over for a shot at a Feral Cat, and although I stated that there were few rifles I wouldn't buy before a Tika, I'd dang sure use one to "take the head off a Feral Cat".
grin.gif

Back on topic; For those that say that the plastic magazine is every bit as good if not better than a metal one, tell me why Beretta upgraded the feed lips in the A7's plastic magazine to steel? The A7 being an "upgraded" Tika.
Not looking for a peeing match. Just an explanation.

Again, (and since it was your original question) I'd go with The Winchester over the Tika.
Controlled round feed, and (per 2MG's link) the accuracy guarantee are pretty good selling points IMO.

Let us know what ya decide, although it sounds like your mind was made up before you ask. And good luck.

Back