need some advice on equipment

Smokin250

I got a RCBS rockchukcer press earlier this year and have been piecing together what i need to load my 22-250. I have RCBS dies also right now. So next as far as i know i need the powder measure and a scale. I was trying to keep everything RCBS but i am sure there are plenty of you guys that know more than me. I work at a gun shop and can order stuff from distributor...but with these type things it is not always best deal...anyway here is what i am thinking so far, please give your input.

RCBS Quick changer powder measure- roughly $80 or so?

RCBS mechanical scale - around $40

Now would that measure work for what i am doing...seems like i can order two different meter screws for it, i am assuming for different powder measurements.

Any input you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Brian

Get yourself a couple of recent reloading manuals, they will explain the whole process in detail and what equipment you need. Reloading is like most things in that it all comes down to how much money you want to spend. You can get by with the basics but there are a lot of things that make life a whole lot simpler. Also check out ebay, lots of great deals in the reloading section. The RCBS 10-10 scale is very nice scale that you can pick up on ebay for a great price. It also depends on how much you plan to reload, how many different calibers etc...It is a lot of fun and very satisfying when you work up a load and it punches into one small hole at 100yds. Just be careful but enjoy.

i have a manual already and have reloaded a little already, but using buddies stuff. So now i am kind of just building up my stuff to be able to do it all at my house.

I know you are trying to stay with RCBS but a Lee Perfect Powder Measure is about $25.oo and they are very repeatable which is what you want in a measure.I have a Redding ,Lee, Forrester and Lyman. Lee is number one with the Forrester a close second.The Lees feels kind of cheap but they work well and my first one lasted 15 years before the drum adjustment crapped out.Lees throw large IMR type powder (known as "rat turds" in West Tennessee) better than any measure I've used.

I also use Lee Fatcory Crimp Dies on all my hunting ammo. You might want to try em.

Agreed, get a Lee powder thrower and save the extra cash! I set mine a little under the charge I want and just trickle the last .5-1gr into the scale!

Call me a cheap SOB but...I use a 45 colt shell to load for my 243. It turns out that a 45 colt shell holds 39gr of IMR4895 and I use 39.5gr in my curent pet load, so I trickle from there. Works great. I don't remember off the top of my head but a 44mag shell holds a little less, 44 special a little less etc. Not saying the powder throwers are a bad investment, but it has been on the bottom of my list of things to get. Actually I did acquire a Lee powder measure but never used it, I gave it to my dad.

As far as a scale, there was an RCBS 5-0-2 for sale in the classifieds, it may still be there. I have one and it isn't set up yet, I have an el cheapo that works fine. I know a lot of folks love their RCBS scales though so that's why I picked one up.

Last edited:
Awesome guys. i will check into the lee measure. and that scale. Like i said i am just looking for advice from people that have and use this stuff now.

You need to look into buying a good caliper to measure those cases after firing. Then maybe you can find a case trimmer..

A good hand priming tool is a worksaver as well.. I used the Lee models for years and then I discovered the RCBS model.. It is head and shoulders above the Lee..

Originally Posted By: dmpowderAgreed, get a Lee powder thrower and save the extra cash! I set mine a little under the charge I want and just trickle the last .5-1gr into the scale!

That's exactly the way I do it. I've been meaning to get a "better" measure, but I haven't decided on which one I want and the Lee works.
I've got a set of 505 scales I bought new in the box on the classifieds here. I can dump and trickle 20 loads real quick.

The Lee priming tools work great too. I've got one set up for LR primers and one for SR primers so I don't have to swap out the little parts and pieces.

You'll need a good set of calipers too. The digital ones from Sinclair for around $30 something bucks work great. You can set Zero on them and use comparators and bump gauges real easily. The dial calipers are just fine too, and you don't have to worry about a battery crapping out on you.

The little Lee case trimmers work great for around $10-15 too.

Last edited:
It's nice to be "brand loyal" but stay open minded to what works best in tools.... My reloading bench is a conglomeration of brands that I've picked up over the years..and a lot of it was used when I acquired it...

Just like this old reloading tool for .38 spl rounds...
grin.gif
...Not something I would want to load 1.000 rounds, but in an emergency, it will still work..

BillsPersonal009.jpg

For most rifle cases, you will definitely need a case trimmer and I've found that the dial caliper is more dependable than the electronic ones...Just as a beam scale is necessary for checking the accuracy of the electronic ones..

It's always good to have the slower mechanical basic devices as a back up and upgrade as you see fit in the future

Im not an expert at reloading but i suggest getting a beam style and not an electronic scale. I got aone of the Franklin Arsenal electronic scales and after a year of using it it crapped out.

Keep an eye out for deals cause i just picked up a lyman beam style scale and case trimmer for 50 bucks shipped.

i was planning on getting the mechanical scale nopt electrical. I have heard goot things about lee case trimmer. I have calipoers here to gauge length.

I bought a Lee anniversary kit off somebody here and the only thing I use out of it today is the powder measure and it came with a hand priming tool. I think the person had purchased it extra. If you go with a lee case trimmer be sure to trim one case and measure with calipers. If you need you can tighten them a little more with a set of pliers, but usually they will be a little long from what some books give as standard trim length. I just didn't like the beam scale so I upgraded to the RCBS 5-0-5. Kept the O press for crimping and upgraded to the Co-Ax. Upgraded to the RCBS lube pad. One of the best loading manuals I think to own is the LYMAN. It's a never ending passion I think. Enjoy the new hobby. Rick

I have had really good luck with a Lee Zip trim and yes you must have a Caliber as well as a trimmer. All Bottleneck cases have to be trimmed almost every shot.

Back