Talk about expanding your kill zone!

Bryan8

So Im a huge rage 2 blade fan, there the only head I shoot. Anyways I know first hand the damage they do.

The other day I was in my stand and a doe walked out broadside at 30yards. I hadn't really had any shots the whole season and I had a doe tag so I drew back and threw that rage at her. She steped forward just as I shot and I saw my arrow punch right through about 2-3 inches behind her last rib. A smack dab gut shot. I though [beeep].... And she hunched up and ran off for about 20 yards then walked about 15yards the stoped and tumbled over. I watched it happen and I wen and got her about 5-10 mins after the shot. I was so surpirsed at what happened and I though I was going to have a ton of tracking and a finsihing shot ahead of me. Apon gutting I found that the arrow missed all the vials includeng the kidneys and liver. It missed the stumach also the arrow just got the instestines.

I guted her and washed the inside out and it was good to go!

I don't think i would of got her if it wasn't for the rage, i'm not saying you can take crappy shots with the rage heads I'm just saying dang they do there job

~Bryan

I'll try and get pics up later

I hit a doe thursday night. I heard the smack and saw the arrow in her as she ran off. I got worried of a shoulder hit so I came back an hr later after going back out to the truck for smokes. As soon as I got back to the field I started laughing, a blind man could follow this blood trail lol. I found her about 2 to 3ft from where I last saw her. She made the bush and thats where she lay. When I gutted her I checked all organs and noticed I cut the heart in 2. The arrow got caught on her far side leg. I dont think I will be switching anytime in the near future.

I've always wondered about expandable broad heads. I know there are some guides that won't allow them on their hunts. I have never been let down by my magnus fixed 2 blade broad heads, or zwickeys

Originally Posted By: Mark2I've always wondered about expandable broad heads. I know there are some guides that won't allow them on their hunts. I have never been let down by my magnus fixed 2 blade broad heads, or zwickeys

I was the same way. I never shot expandables untill a few years ago when rages came out. They always are open before the blades enter the skin. It's amazing I've never heard of one not opening. Just shoot one before the season like other broad heads to make sure your bow like them.

They are more accuracte and hit harder than any broadhead I've used.

~Bryan

Originally Posted By: Bryan8Originally Posted By: Mark2I've always wondered about expandable broad heads. I know there are some guides that won't allow them on their hunts. I have never been let down by my magnus fixed 2 blade broad heads, or zwickeys

I was the same way. I never shot expandables untill a few years ago when rages came out. They always are open before the blades enter the skin. It's amazing I've never heard of one not opening. Just shoot one before the season like other broad heads to make sure your bow like them.

They are more accuracte and hit harder than any broadhead I've used.

~Bryan

Sometimes they fall apart at impact, which I've seen first hand. Does this mean you can expand your kill zone as long as it's not a shoulder hit ?
confused.gif

I've never had them fall apart on impact and I've sent one through a 6-8inch tree on accident.

Also I don't know how many heads can penentrate a dead on shoulder blade bone... So it wasn't the broadheads fult

~Bryan

I have shot through both front shoulders and found it sticking in the ground, I have had to replace some blades not broken off just bent up ,but i did the same with fixed 2 and 3 blades as well.

I will say this about them , they might not be the best on the market but out of 28 years of hunting and the number of deer i kill a year they have performed the best so far Bar none.

When a deer is...HIT BAD, mechanicals are responsible for more lost deer by a wide margin than are fixed blades. The problem is usually due to poor penetration, or as Redeyedog & Rubenator mentioned weak construction. That said, I have never personally used any type of mechanical head. I have tracked enough deer with a dog for other people that use them to know better than to take the chance, especially when it comes to older trophy class animals that have much heavier bone & muscle structure than the small bodied does & young bucks that I see so many people use to show of mechanical broadhead damage.

Originally Posted By: cookstaxiWhen a deer is...HIT BAD, mechanicals are responsible for more lost deer by a wide margin than are fixed blades. The problem is usually due to poor penetration, or as Redeyedog & Rubenator mentioned weak construction. That said, I have never personally used any type of mechanical head. I have tracked enough deer with a dog for other people that use them to know better than to take the chance, especially when it comes to older trophy class animals that have much heavier bone & muscle structure than the small bodied does & young bucks that I see so many people use to show of mechanical broadhead damage.

I will have to disagree with you on this one, I dont think anyone can put a blame on either a fixed or Mechanical for lost deer and poor shots.Both have lost there fair share, Like i stated above i kill enough every year and have friends as well that do to, To say neither will do the right job if not put in the right spots, But there is no way you can make me believe a Rage with a 2 inch cut will not do more damage then a fixed blade 1 1/8 Muzzy Just not going to happen ,,If both are tuned right that is.
It all boils down to having you bow set up right and i have have dealt with this for many years in my Bowshop, No head will fly right are get good penetration if not set up right with the other equimeant.
And i have a few P&Y's that i really dont think would be there without the Rages,
Not saying there isnt some great Fixed blades out there because i have killed a pile of good deer with them as well in the past, Its just hard to beat the damage a RAGE does out of a well setup bow and proper shot placemeant. But its just like deer hunting with a gun I have lost deer with a 300 mag and turned around the next week and killed them dead as a hammer with a 22 short.
If we hunt long enough it going to happen with everything.

WSMBUCK, I'm not blaming mechanicals for poor shots, I'm just looking at the statistics of poor shots by both fixed & mechanicals based on records kept from tracking deer as a business. I know that you will lose deer with all types of weapons & setups, both gun & bow. I also know that with proper shot placement it really makes no difference what type of broadhead or bullet your shooting they will all get the job done. It's when your shot placement goes astray that broadhead & bullet performance are most important. I've kept records of every deer I've tracked for customers over the past twelve years & what they were shot with & where they were hit if found & where the hunter thought he hit them if not found. An overwhelming majority of lost deer have been shot with mechanicals especially when hit in the back or shoulder. I also note if the shot was a pass through or not, & again mechanicals fail to produce two holes much more often than fixed blades do. I'll take a small exit hole over a huge entry hole every time. I'm not knocking mechanicals for the heck of it, but the records I've kept show that they are not as good as fixed blade heads when it comes to marginally hit animals especially when heavy bone is involved. I'm glad that you & others have had success with mechanical heads such as Rage, & I hope they continue to work for you. I however will continue to shoot fixed blade heads like the 4 blade Grizz Trick that I shoot now, which cuts a 2 1/2" hole & has a much stronger design than the 2 blade Rage which cuts a slit.

Thats some good info to keep for your records, and very happy you past it alone to me. I use to do the same with deer i killed and wind and all different types of stuff pretty neat to look back every now and then.

I am just going by mine along with a few others around me that take over a 100 deer a year with our bows and what has worked for us. Like you stated you have keep the records for your info and granted i havnt put it on paper but i pretty well keep up with it on my end as well , and since the Rage has been around we have had way more luck with them then fixed blade guys around us.

Now a few years ago before the Rages you were 110% correct. There was a pile of deer lost with the others .
But i know from my Bowshop business i have noticed ALOT of guys that get mechanicals, think the will do anything and take alot of shots they shouldnt have , and take for granted the practice they should be putting in to make pinpoint shots. But thats just what i have seen from guys coming in the shop and guys i have talked to.

I am kind of like you i have wore out a many a pair of pants knees and getting bairs in all types of places trying to lead a dog around for others.

We just have had great luck with them , but it just like the ole 270 and 30 06 thing they just ant for everyone.

But like i said , i am not saying in anyway they the best out there Because there are some great fix blades as well, Heck i have prolly killed more deer with those old 2 blade Bears then alot of guys seen in ther life.

But the Rages just work Great for me and it might be i am picky with my shots dont really know.But take care my friend.

I also feel that a rage is diff than a normal expandable broadhead. Rages don't bannna peel open like normal expandables. The cams always catch and always open... If you had one fall apart then you had a defect and I'd call rage. There customer serivce is good from what I hear but I never had a prob so idk :p

~Bryan

I'd put them very close to the top broadhead if not number 1. I know there the best selling head round here

Originally Posted By: Bryan8I've never had them fall apart on impact and I've sent one through a 6-8inch tree on accident.

Also I don't know how many heads can penentrate a dead on shoulder blade bone... So it wasn't the broadheads fult

~Bryan

A Rage can go through a six inch tree but not a deer's shoulder blade? My BS meter got pegged with that one.

"I'll take a small exit hole over a huge entry hole every time." -Cookstaxi

Bingo. That's where a quality fixed blade head has it all over Rage junk.

My Magnus two blades have gone through a shoulder before, and that's with my 52 lb recurve at about 12 yards. And it still was pretty sharp. Just saying

Originally Posted By: redeyeddawgOriginally Posted By: Bryan8I've never had them fall apart on impact and I've sent one through a 6-8inch tree on accident.

~Bryan

A Rage can go through a six inch tree but not a deer's shoulder blade? My BS meter got pegged with that one.

"I'll take a small exit hole over a huge entry hole every time." -Cookstaxi

Bingo. That's where a quality fixed blade head has it all over Rage junk.

8edc9a1f.jpg

shot over a Doe at 50 and wacked this tree at 70yards. That's a good 6-8 inches that arrow travled through the tree. The blades wernt bent at all and it still locked closed as you can see.

Don't know why it didn't make it threw the shoulder but I know shoulders have stopen many peoples arrows

~Bryan

It appears in the pic it went thru a few inches of bark, which most any head would do. Your post leads one to believe your arrow went thru 6-8" of solid wood, which ain't gonna happen with any arrow, Rage tipped or not. Question, why aren't the blades deployed?

Back