HID or LED

Rubenator

Looking to buy a nice flashlight. Got a few brands in mind. I noticed the HID lights will provide more lumens over the LED lights. What are the advantages and disadvantages of each?

What are you going to use it for? For coyote hunting, there can be such a thing as too much light.
HID lights take a few seconds to turn on and warm up. Some of them have poor reliability and battery life.
For a search light, the Titanium Innovations N30 with a 4500 bulb temp is a good value.

Multi purpose such as coon hunting, recovery of deer, and yes possibly even coyote hunting. Keep the recommendations coming, I will look at each.

Fenix 40 - Fenix 45, both us AA battery's, excellent lights, very well made. I have one of each and you can see out to 300 yards with either light.

For a good value in a flashlight, the LED is the best way to go. There are many and mean many different company's out there now making lights.

But try to stay with a light that has a Cree emitter, they are in most of the top quality lights.

I really like the TK40/TK45, battery life is outstanding and it will really light a open field up out to 300 yards. Eyes might be farther than that though.

If your thinking of getting a HID, better check to see what a new bulb will cost you before you buy it!
Also look at the life of HID bulb and compare it to the LED, lots longer life span for the LED.

tk40.jpg

34373238.jpg

Last edited:
After checking out the Candle Power forums, which is a useful site, I have decided on the Fenix TK45 and it is on the way. I will give you guys a review once I receive it. Thanks.

Black Bear Flashlights

This guy has some very interesting flashlights that compete well with the Fenix and Ti Innovations lights. He's a regular poster on Candlepower forums and Long range Hunting forum.

For coyotes do you all use a red filter? Or do you just keep the light white?

Went over to my neighbors house last night to compare flashlights, he got me started on these high dollar flashlights, and I will have to say I am impressed with the Fenix TK45. If you are looking for a flashlight that has a solid "spot", then this light is not for you. This light is a flood light. But consider this, with the light being so white I could easily identify objects out to 200 yards or more. I have not had the chance to hunt critters with it just yet, I may get the chance to run the dogs for coons this weekend and will let you know how that works.

Back