help on purchasing a recurve

For that price you would be looking at a used one or a cheap PSE or Martin. Customs start around $800 and go up from there. A used bear recurve or Ben pearson. Will this be your primary go to bow, or just a once in a while. Will this be your first attempt at shooting / hunting with a recurve. Here is a picture of one of my custom bows.

http://www.bpbows.com/modules/content/index.php?id=13

Mark2

Last edited:
It will be some what my go to bow. It is my first time to a recurve and I forgot to mention. How hard is it to find one with a 32 or 33 draw length and 60 lbs draw weight.

You will find that your draw length will drop when going to a recurve from a compound. Your draw style changes. My draw length was 29 with a compound, but when I switched to a recurve I drop to 27 inch. Your bow arm is not fully extended. You will probably have a hard time finding a recurve in 32 or 33 draw, very hard I would say. Call a custom bowyer and ask him what draw length would be best for you.

Mark2

Last edited:
Bear archery back in the day was a great producer of quality recurves, I don't know how they are made today. I know the old recurves hold their value very well at traditional archery swap meets.

Mark2

I have one of those Bear Grizzly recurves. It's a sweet little bow, quiet, accurate. I won 1st place in the 4H county archey shoot with mine. I say buy it
smile.gif

Kind of tough to beat that price for a somewhat decent recurve. I would avoid buying anything used, unless you could inspect first, especially the limbs. A lot of people don't unstring recurves when done shooting it. Also a lot of people don't have or know the proper way to string a recurve, and check for proper brace height. Make sure you know what the brace height should be for whatever bow you buy. 60 lbs pull is more than enough weight, with no let off and on real cold days after sitting for hours, you might not care for that poundage. I've seen a lot of guys insist on getting heavy draw recurves when switching over from compounds, only to seem them struggle holding it at full draw.

Mark2.

Before you drop the cash it mite be a thought to attend a traditioan archery shoot/swap/whatever to try out some bows before you jump into it, considering the draw length posted it mite take a costom built bow to fit you.

Most trad bows draw weight will be met at 28 inches, then add +/-3 pounds to the inch, I've seen bows for sale at longer draw lengths but they were costom built not the cookie cutter manufactured bows.

Check out tradgang.com, stickbow.com, archerytalk.com, thers all kinds of good used equipment on ther for sale, price will vary depending on what it is.

Hope it helps. (all this said assuming youve never tinkered with a traditional bow)

Originally Posted By: Fox FireBefore you drop the cash it mite be a thought to attend a traditioan archery shoot/swap/whatever to try out some bows before you jump into it, considering the draw length posted it mite take a costom built bow to fit you.

Most trad bows draw weight will be met at 28 inches, then add +/-3 pounds to the inch, I've seen bows for sale at longer draw lengths but they were costom built not the cookie cutter manufactured bows.

Check out tradgang.com, stickbow.com, archerytalk.com, thers all kinds of good used equipment on ther for sale, price will vary depending on what it is.

Hope it helps. (all this said assuming youve never tinkered with a traditional bow)

Fox fire, you hit the nail on the head, you must shoot traditional equipment ? Great post, great advice.

Mark2

Sorry just saw your question. Well first I was using my uncles Grizzly recurve but one of the limbs broke when I was stringing it, it was an old one. But now I'm using another Grizzly to replace my uncles that I got for $117 on ebay. 58" 44#. Hope this helps.

Gizzly's are good little bows for the money, especialy used prices, I'm shootin (if you want to call it shootin) a old grizzly I traded a guy out of then had to refurb it top to bottom, donthave much cash in it but its a blast to shoot.

So to see if you even can hit any thing with a recurve,are the $100+- cheapos even worth trying?

I hunt with a compound now but would love a recurve for birds and fishing.

I've got my old Bighorn Takedown tucked away in a case. I can't shoot anymore, but I haven't been able to part with it.
rolleyes.gif

Back