GPS units

Have 2 Lowrance iFinder Hunt's that have always gotten me back to the truck or the boat ramp. Just turn it on and go, it leaves a breadcrumb trail of you.

Last edited:
The Vista HCx as lot of folks have mentioned will do what you are asking of it. I still have not seen a better GPS and antenna than the 60CSx, however. I am sure the 62 is very good as well which is replacing it this year. I have had the eTrex HCx series and a 60CSx side by side many times and the 60 always gets better reception. It typically is more expensive and bigger. If you want a small compact GPS then the Vista might be a good option, if you want a bigger screen then either a 60CSx, a 62S or 62st, or an Oregon.

Touch screen vs buttons, it all depends. Due to the glass of a touch screen, it washes out a bit in bright sunlight. If it is extremely cold and you have gloves on, a touch screen can be a bit clumsy to use if you need to do any fine tune zooming. Otherwise touch-screens are nice. Go to your local sporting goods stores and play around them and see what you like.

I have read quite a few reviews recently about the Oregon and new 62. It has been reported the Oregon 450t is newer and the screen is brighter than earlier versions.
Also side by side tests have shown the 450t to get equal or better reception than the 62. It has been theorized this may be because lack of software improvements on a new model with the 62. The 62 shows more battery life probably because it has a smaller screen.
There are early complaints of flimsy case construction on the 62 vs 60.
Overall the choice between these two seems to be whether you prefer buttons or touchscreen. both are more money than the 60 which is on sale and proven with updated software.
Personally I like the 450t.

Back