Any trad shooters around ???

I shoot 3 custom made takedown recurves. I have 2 Bears Paw lightspeeds, and one Custom Bighorn. But I have to sell at least one of them

Mark2

i shoot a homemade longbow that me and my dad built together. im not the greatest shot but im not bad. i killed a javelina with it this year with homemade ceder arrows too. i also killed a grey squirrel with it last fall. (and believe me, that grey took many, many hours to get, its a lot harder than it looks!!).

[img:center]
000DSCF2245Small.jpg
[/img]
[img:center]
IMG_0895Small.jpg
[/img]

I shoot a custom M.R.Hamilton Scorpion longbow.Also have a Martin Hunter recurve and a Blackhawk Yellowjacket but I much prefer the Scorpion.

I shoot a 55# Fasco recurve that I picked up at an estate auction for about $25. I have killed two elk with it so far.

BowFinish.jpg

This is right after I refinished it.

2007Elk-3-1.jpg

This was my first archery bull.

2008Elk-4.jpg

This was my second archery bull.

I keep thinking I should get a new bow or a fancy custom one, but then I remember there is nothing wrong with the one I have!

Knapper

Well word is out there will be an archery range replacing the elementary school in my front yard. When that happens I will start shooting my grandpas old 55 pound Shakespear. Until then I have to rely on the bow that I can pick up shoot a a few weeks and go kill cleanly with.

Hey Knapper, thats a pretty good looking guy with ya in the second picture, bet he could call an elk on an 85 degree day in a 30 mph wind at noon.

He might even be able to call two to the same place, but that might be asking too much! We would probably just let the second one go anyway!

Knapper

Originally Posted By: KnapperHe might even be able to call two to the same place, but that might be asking too much! We would probably just let the second one go anyway!

Knapper

Yeah it would be too much work to drag 2 elk the 100 yards to the truck. Glad we did not have that 2nd hunter that could have made it one of the most awesome archery stories ever...

Great plains Blackhawk swift recurve 57# @ 28"
Rampart recurve 60" 60# @28
Pronghorn longbow 60" 57# @28 glass limb.(for sale)

went traditional 6 years or so ago and never looked back.

Hill-style longbows for over 20 years now. Is there any other way?
smile.gif
I also make my own arrows and fletch with wild turkey feathers. Have used nothing but Zwickey Deltas for many years now. Presently I have a 65# Martin and a 55# Bear. Hope to order a Howard Hill Big Five one day soon, everything exactly as I want it.

Myself and a half dozen buddies around here all shoot and hunt with trad bows. I have taken a few animals with mine and got my first buck last year with a longbow I made myself. I have made about 25 different bows from selfbows to t/d recurves and longbows. I also shoot bows made by other bowyers that I have gotten to know. My favorite bows are made by Brandon Stahl, his Rose Oak bows are absolutely stunning and shoot great. I have a new hybrid type longbow on order from a guy named Jason Kendall from back east, looking forward to it as the longbow I've been shooting the last year or so is developing a cracking sound in the riser. I've tried about every arrow out there from sitka spruce to regular cedar but keep coming back to Gold Tips, there tough and easy to make heavy enough for good penetration.

WOW !!! I was just curios if anyone else was a trad shooter and it seems thers plenty, thers 3 pages so far and still people add'n to it regular.

The first one I had was a old Ben Pearson (I think) fiber glass bow I traded a old pair of cowboy boots for when I was a kid, got back into recuves in the earlie 90s because I got fed up with my compound always gettin outta tune,have'n to find out what was makin that rattle'n or buzz'n noise not to mention a noisy shooter and heavy to drag around.

I found a Browning fire drake take down in a pawn shop for $100 and it was like WOW! this thing is light, quiet and nothin to tear up, but I sold it to a friend and cant con him back out of it.

Now I shoot a old Bear Grizzly that I traded a friend for,when he brough it to me it was in bad ruff shape, a lotta the finish was gone and no string, I sanded of the rest of the finish (nothin more) and gave it sevral good coats of polyuerathane (satin finish, didnt want a high gloss shine) put on a new string and a bear rug and beaver balls, turned out rite nice and its a blast to shoot, just love it.

As far as arrows go I shoot what ever I can catch on clearence at "THE BIG BLUE GOD OF CHEAP STUFF", also hase sevral of my old xx75s and game getters left overs that I have turned into flu flus, I've shot those things till all the color has been rubbed off, I use them untill ther toast.

I havent taken any big game with it but have for practice stalked a few squirrels, lotta fun but the squirrels went unscaved, (Robin hood I aint) thinkin about maybe gettin a Hoyt game master or dorado, maybe just maybe somethin costom made.

I shoot a Hummingbird "Invisible-Wings" #55 @ 30" recureve made by Ben Grahm in NC. I love it but I think my Mathews Switchback is getting jealous now. They each have there place but I prefer going Trad Style.

Whoa! fairly new here and good to see a bunch of stick and string guys!
I shoot a Martin Savannah #60 r/d- my "working bow",Great Plains #54 "Casador" 3piece t/d and also have a Ramhorn Bighorn 52# and a Toelke "Whip" #52 . Dan

Count me in as a Trad Hunter.

I shoot a #55 homemade longbow, #50 Pearson Rogue, and a new Martin Jaguar T/D #55.

I dust off the training wheel bow every once in awhile to shoot 3D charity shoots but I loves my stick and strings.

Forgot to add, you CAN mount a Whisker Biscuit on a Martin Jaguar and it works extremely well!!!

Last edited:
Back