17mach2 vs 22long?

I forgot about this thread, but wanted to make one more comment. the ballistic tips in the hm2, will be much less likely to ricochet than a solid lead bullet from the LR. The hm2 ammo, is all pretty much the same, so you don't have to spend 2 months, and a whole lot of money seeing what ammo your gun can actually shoot. Most good LR ammo will be more expensive than hm2 ammo. The LR has really only two good points that I see, from a hunting standpoint.

1. If you are shooting close, you can use cheap ammo.
2. You can shoot subsonic if you need to be quiet.

I own both.
The 22 is really fun and inexpensive to shoot but lacks the ballistics that the mach 2 has. I love both. The mach 2 is a tack driver(marlin 917).

The 17 m2 is the best bird round ever made. Extremely deadly on pigeons and crows. If you pull the plastic tips out of the Vmax ammo you are left with a massive hollow point. This lets you shoot pigeons inside a shop or garage and not have to worry about holes through the tin (long as you hit the pigeon first!)

I have killed 4 coyotes with mine. 2 were 1 shot kills, 1 took 2 shots and one took 13. Mine does serve very well for Jackrabbits but without good shot placement sometimes it takes 2 or 3 shots. 22lr HP and 1 hit your good to go.

17 mach 2 excels for small stuff and birds. 22LR works much better on big rabbits and coyotes.

I'll tell you what, the .17M2 round is ACCURATE.

One thing about the .17M2 ammo is that for the most part it is solid and it will shoot!

.22LR can be a WIDELY mixed bag.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 458Win
I have killed 4 coyotes with mine. 2 were 1 shot kills, 1 took 2 shots and one took 13.

Am I reading correctly that it took 13 hm2s to down a coyote?

Back