The Neck Shot Versus the Heart/Lung Shot?

I used to be able to make shots to 100yds with my .357 with consistency from a rest. No money or time to practice, and a weak back means I am doing good to hit a gong out there now.

Maybe with ammo prices back down I'll get some more time to get back to practice.

I used to shoot that pistol better @ 200yrds than a lot of the guys coming out with their deer rifles to check the scope from the bench. Man, I hope if they see anything it is close and they have a good rest or 500yds+ so its a clean miss.

Dear Salmo22
Thanks for the reply but couldn't help but noticed your group was rather large .065 thousands of an inch.Tool maker by profession.If you were shooting at a coyote at say 500yds and using your neck shot. Judging from your group which is off center you might have missed .Something to consider.Anyway try and get those groups tighter so all of us poor souls can marvel at your ability.Nothing personal.
Coyotewacker

It's been a long week and my eyes must be blurred.
I read coyotex as kotex and I thought that was a strange
screen name to have.

But yep, coyotex, you're right on with your statement.

Salmo- Don't quite get your understanding of lethal. Webster's says - deadly, mortal, fatal.It don't get any more fatal than a hit in the heart or lungs.Quicker perhaps with a hit to the cns but no more lethal. I too have competed in a little BR competition and anyone who has done both knows what you and you bench equipment do is at best 30-40 percent transferrable to real life hunting situations. Just my opinion but one borne out by a couple of decades experience at the bench and afield.

Brute

Originally Posted By: Jeepdude1987I used to be able to make shots to 100yds with my .357 with consistency from a rest. No money or time to practice, and a weak back means I am doing good to hit a gong out there now.

Maybe with ammo prices back down I'll get some more time to get back to practice.

I used to shoot that pistol better @ 200yrds than a lot of the guys coming out with their deer rifles to check the scope from the bench. Man, I hope if they see anything it is close and they have a good rest or 500yds+ so its a clean miss.

Come on now...

-Dave

Originally Posted By: Brute Salmo- Don't quite get your understanding of lethal. Webster's says - deadly, mortal, fatal.It don't get any more fatal than a hit in the heart or lungs.Quicker perhaps with a hit to the cns but no more lethal. I too have competed in a little BR competition and anyone who has done both knows what you and you bench equipment do is at best 30-40 percent transferrable to real life hunting situations. Just my opinion but one borne out by a couple of decades experience at the bench and afield.

Brute
Brute:

I don't know how else to express my opinion on this issue; read all my posts. There is no doubt that a heart/lung shot is fatal - I've never said otherwise. I want the closest thing to instant death as possible. For me, that is a neck shot. Like I've said previously, if you or anyone else is not comfortable with a neck shot and prefer another method - by all means do what works best for you.

Regarding benchrest shooting transfering to hunting - I respectfully disagree. The wind reading, gun handling, reloading and rifle tuning skills transfer 100%. Sure, I don't take my flags, rests and other BR equipment to hunt; but I am a much better shot in the field because of my benchrest competiton experience than I was before. Sorry your BR experience did not help you more in the field.

Most of the guys on here can shoot and there is no arguing shutting off an animals nervous system is the quickest way to death. The problem with your theory is you may be able to put 3 rounds in a dime size target on a range. But the dime size target does not have a brain and can move without notice. You can calculate wind, drop. But you can not calculate when something is going to move and that is why most of us choose the larger target. But were all out and having fun and that's what it's all about.

Originally Posted By: viperMost of the guys on here can shoot and there is no arguing shutting off an animals nervous system is the quickest way to death. The problem with your theory is you may be able to put 3 rounds in a dime size target on a range. But the dime size target does not have a brain and can move without notice. You can calculate wind, drop. But you can not calculate when something is going to move and that is why most of us choose the larger target. But were all out and having fun and that's what it's all about.
Viper:

I have no argument with anything you have said. Maybe what I've done is a poor job of communicating my willingnes to pass-up targets/coyotes if I can't get the shot I want. This helps me avoid most of the misses - not all.

You are right on the money about the fun. I'm going with my son to the higher altitude and cooler temps of AZ next weekend. If we have some luck and the wind is in our favor, maybe we will put a few down.

Take care.

This whole post is just a "time killer". A yote shot in the chest dies, a yote shot in the neck dies. Which is a better shot is a mute point.
Since years experience was brought up, I have called coyotes one fashoin or another for 20+ years, I have killed my fair share. Any "ethical shot" is the right shot.
Would should all try to make humane kills.
As for "who is a better shot..... hunter or br shooter????
Also a mute point, I have guided some br shooters that couldn't hit their hip pockets with both hands in the feild, but could shame the best at a "bench". Also guided some hunters that couldn't hit a 12 in circle at 200 yards,off a bench, but kill yotes at 500 yrds consistently.
The best shot is always the "best presented". Neck,chest, head, or even the hind end, if you have the right gun and bullet. They are all ethical, and have the same effect.
Anyone that doubts this, go kill a few hundred, and report back with your findings.

O'yea one more thing about this thread .....

Booooooorrrring.
blink.gif

Originally Posted By: Duane@ssu go kill a few hundred, and report back with your findings.

Awwww he11, that's to much trouble. Why ya gotta make everything so difficult Duane?
mad.gif

It's funny that some states don't let guys hunt yotes year round. We are whacking the heck outta yotes here right now.
It's hard for me to find time to even look at these post.
As soon as it cools off,I'll be hunting again.

Originally Posted By: rpc55Originally Posted By: Salmo22
I'm confident in my shooting abilities and the capabilities of my weapons. Accordingly, I don't see neck/head shoots has a problem - no ego here, simply how it is. Maybe most predator hunters are not capable of reliably hitting the neck/head compared to the heart/lungs.

Take care and good hunting.

Just curious as to what type of terrain your hunting? i don't think your considering the full picture. I don't buy videos, but what I see on tv is wide open terrain where one can see for miles. the shooter waits with a bipod (in most cases) and has some time to prepare for the shot.
My state is heavily wooded. Shots are made at odd angles/ tight quaters, off hand, and sometimes with the weak hand. Usually when you do see them, he doesn't stick around. This makes for quick shots at a small part of the animal.

I take what the animal gives me, and given the choice, I will aim for center of mass.

I'm in the same boat as you, bro. I've got a wicked nice Howa, and I've never been able to get a shot off on a coyote with it. Every dog I've ever shot was with a shotgun. Call 'em in close, and blast 'em. FWIW, Salmo, I take the COM shot or nothing. We don't have the luxury of open territory up here.

Originally Posted By: ARDave
Come on now...

-Dave

Dave, not joking here. It's not everyone, but consistently a person or two shows up and either fails to hit consistently even after fiddling with the scope. I thought it was a fluke or something when I first saw it, but I now try to ignore it an not comment.

If your talking about my shooting distances that was at the range kneeling with a rest or on a bench, and I was shooting paper plates or metal silhouettes. No shots in the field, and only shooting minute of deer.

Believe me or not. Don't matter much the people who saw it are my closest personal friends so I doubted anyone would believe me. They saw that is enough for me.

Why are people taking shots at this thread? If you don't find it entertaining the logical thing to do is not read it.

Originally Posted By: bringtheraini think most the time in videos, coyotes spin or dont fall over instantly because they are shot in the guts or to far back, if they are standing broadside i aim right for the front shoulders and they dont even kick, i can video tape another hunt for you so you can see a well placed shot in the front shoulder will kill them instantly too Bingo. Someone finally said it. Many hunters simply place the shot way too far back, clipping the lungs or hitting the liver or intestines.

A little education on animal anatomy, combined with an accurately placed fast and frangible bullet works wonders for instant kills.

Or you can admit your accuracy is less than adequate and just buy a bigger gun hoping a gut shot with your new biggerbetter will kill em better.

Back