The Neck Shot Versus the Heart/Lung Shot?

Different strokes for different folks. Guess to some degree it all boils down to how comfortable one is with their ability and equiptment, I just happen to be comfortable with both. A .22 is not exactly a long range weapon and hence not exactly a long range shot, especially here in the East, that kindof whittles down the odds of a miss just a bit. While it may not suit some it does suit me. If the opportunity presents itself I'll take it. To each his own I guess.

Dear Terminator:

I was raised to try and kill animals as humanely and quickly as possible - an instant kill being the best. If any animal runs off and must be trailed after being shot, it has not be killed, it has been wounded. The hope would be that the wound was sufficient to cause death sooner rather than later.

why would anyone want to shoot a beautiful creature like a coyote???
haha jk,
had to do it
wink.gif

Salmo,
you've stated a couple of times that you're not intending to criticize anyone for the way they hunt but the condescending comments you make lead most to believe that you are very critical.

do you really shoot for head/neck shot every time one comes in? what do you do on a hard charger? i just dont think that the idea of shooting at heads and necks is realistic for anyone that has a high call to kill success rate.

Salmo,

it appears to me you are trying to stir the pot.....even if you are an excellent shot and can kill them with a neck shot....so what? Keep controversial statements like this to yourself if you will.......cause, we don't care.

Originally Posted By: nightcallerSalmo,
you've stated a couple of times that you're not intending to criticize anyone for the way they hunt but the condescending comments you make lead most to believe that you are very critical.

do you really shoot for head/neck shot every time one comes in? what do you do on a hard charger? i just dont think that the idea of shooting at heads and necks is realistic for anyone that has a high call to kill success rate.
nightcaller:

I really don't mean to be condescending and apologize for anything I've written that came off that way. Yes, I always shoot for the head/neck. What that means to me is that I sometimes have to pass-up a shot because I can't get the sightline I want - like on a hard charger. You are absolutely correct that a high call to kill success ratio is probably best achieved by shooting center mass or whatever angle the coyote gives you. As I've gotten older, I've lost my desire to keep score. That is just me, I don't expect anyone to do what I do.

As far as me being critical of other hunters, you are way off base on that one. I've got a hunting past with plenty of skeletons in the closet. I leave it to each hunter to choose what they think is best for them. I simply wanted to challenge folks to think about a different way of doing things. Like all ideas in life, you can take them or leave them - no worries.

Originally Posted By: Terminator
Salmo,

it appears to me you are trying to stir the pot.....even if you are an excellent shot and can kill them with a neck shot....so what? Keep controversial statements like this to yourself if you will.......cause, we don't care.
Terminator:

If you think that "stirring the pot" is challenging others to consider different ideas, then yes, I guess I am stirring the pot. My comments on a hunter's responsibility to seek humane kills is an expression of my personal opinion - for which I don't intend to apologize. If you don't like my comments or don't enjoy a lively debate on such matters, then quit reading this thread and find something that suits you better. What a boring site this would be if everyone always agreed on every topic.

Like anything in life, and especially in hunting, there is usually a wide range of views as seen above.

In my mind, this is what keeps it interesting, and how I personally learn.

Although neck shots may not be for everyone, they seem to be working well for Jeff (Salmo22). To me, based on his initial post, and his courteous responses, he appears to be an ethical hunter who is confident in his abilities.

I would go hunting with you anytime Partner.

For myself its not about considering a different way ,,,just have seen it done the OTHER way before,with sub par results too many times.

If god himself wanted them shot in the neck,,he woulda put the heart and lungs there..........................X

Originally Posted By: coyotex
If god himself wanted them shot in the neck,,he woulda put the heart and lungs there..........................X

That's classic! I'm using that one lol.

Originally Posted By: coyotexIf god himself wanted them shot in the neck,,he woulda put the heart and lungs there..........................X

Too funny....

I prefer lung shots too.

salmo & crowd,
i guess i approach predator hunting like its a contest every time i go out. whether i'm competing with myself or its an actual contest. i will agree i hate to watch spinners on videos and in person. anyone thats hunted with me knows i keep shooting until they're done moving. (tail flips are usually followed by another round) i hate for animals to get away.

in my opinion heart/lung shots that are lethal and yet allow the animal to run 50 yds while they expire due to mortal wounds are in no way unethical. but that's the point you were trying to make: that those mortal/lethal wounds are not acceptable.

i'm not going to argue that you dont have the right to your opinion. but i'll respectably disagree.

Originally Posted By: coyotexIf god himself wanted them shot in the neck,,he woulda put the heart and lungs there..........................X
coyotex - that is way funny. Thanks for the comic viewpoint - well said.

If some predator walks in my house I'm shooting center mass not the neck. Yotes the same, if i miss I still got 19 more.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: nightcallerin my opinion heart/lung shots that are lethal and yet allow the animal to run 50 yds while they expire due to mortal wounds are in no way unethical. but that's the point you were trying to make: that those mortal/lethal wounds are not acceptable.

i'm not going to argue that you dont have the right to your opinion. but i'll respectably disagree.
nightcaller - I just noticed you are from St. George. I've got too many friends in that neck of the woods to disagree with you forever. While I may dislike and seek to avoid the heart/lung shot that does not result in an instant kill, I am not passing judgement on anyone else who prefers this method - I just see things differently on this matter and extend the same respect back at you.

Take care.

Originally Posted By: Salmo22Dear Terminator:

I was raised to try and kill animals as humanely and quickly as possible - an instant kill being the best. If any animal runs off and must be trailed after being shot, it has not be killed, it has been wounded.

What ?????

Just because an animal runs say 10 - 100 yards does not make it wounded. As for the bow hunting aspect....... Any sharp broadhead placed in the "sweet spot " is just as deadly as any gun shot of equal placement.

Originally Posted By: MAUMAULike anything in life, and especially in hunting, there is usually a wide range of views as seen above.

In my mind, this is what keeps it interesting, and how I personally learn.

Although neck shots may not be for everyone, they seem to be working well for Jeff (Salmo22). To me, based on his initial post, and his courteous responses, he appears to be an ethical hunter who is confident in his abilities.

I would go hunting with you anytime Partner.
Thanks for the comments MauMau. Contrary to what some may think, I've learned a ton from this discussion and appreciate the varying opinions expressed. As the bible says, variety is the spice of life.

i think most the time in videos, coyotes spin or dont fall over instantly because they are shot in the guts or to far back, if they are standing broadside i aim right for the front shoulders and they dont even kick, i can video tape another hunt for you so you can see a well placed shot in the front shoulder will kill them instantly too

Originally Posted By: bringtheraini think most the time in videos, coyotes spin or dont fall over instantly because they are shot in the guts or to far back, if they are standing broadside i aim right for the front shoulders and they dont even kick, i can video tape another hunt for you so you can see a well placed shot in the front shoulder will kill them instantly too

Yep ,
If they are spinning they are shot too far back. A splash wound makes them spin and go like heck .

A good high speed bullet shot in the vitals will drop them just as fas as any head /neck.

Back