coydogs

kirby

A friend of mine on another site. Been conversing with him back & forth. Lady he works with, her husband/farmer shot & killed two canines about a month ago. I'm sure they are coydogs. As for their size & build. He sent me a couple pics.

I don't have permission to post them. But have asked his co-worker to call me to see if I can post.

They are huge, both females with white faces.
They were killed about 60 miles West, SouWest of me.

55d1306d.jpg

Those two females were killed around 2 months ago. Yeah, looks like dog in that breed to me. Farmer estimated they both weighed in the upper 50's-low 60's. Look how burly their front end are. As well as their thick legs & large paws.

Originally Posted By: Zack BeamThose look like someone's Husky's to me. They both have rather full fur for this time of year also.

yes i dont think they are coyote related by the coat and build.....enter the word husky and i think they are just that! a little big for some song dogs!

lonnie

Originally Posted By: kirbyThose two females were killed around 2 months ago. Yeah, looks like dog in that breed to me. Farmer estimated they both weighed in the upper 50's-low 60's. Look how burly their front end are. As well as their thick legs & large paws.

Husky's are built like that.

Well, believe what you want zack. These two canines were wild & harrassing livestock. So they paid the fat lady. I happen to believe they have coyote in their bloodline.

Calm down...your the one who posted the pictures I was just telling you what they look like to me. I have no idea where your located maybe they are wolf cross, but they look just like Husky's to me.

they are very husky for a coyote!
kirby~
i enjoy the pictures you post here on pm, You get close up shots and very good ones at that! For some reason these animals just go about thier own business around you and that makes for interesting pictures, If anybody knows what a coyotes feature is it would definatley be you. with that said, you cant tell me that you dont see a slight build on those dogs that might differ your opinion on it being coyote related? like zack said they might be wolf.

Lonnie

Lonnie, here is what I believe. I believe these canines are coyote hybrids. Or coyote & domestic dog cross.

Although they do have "Siberian Husky" features. Does not convence me one bit they are huskys or even a coyote crossed with a husky.

I've seen other "coyotes" that were built just like these two, large framed. They looked exactly the same in build. But were colored differently.

Some areas of Iowa don't have a decent coyote pop. I'm of the opinion a female coyote when in heat, can/will on rare occasion breed with a farm dog. When a available male coyote suiter are non existstant or rare in an area.

Other people in Iowa[past history from some ytrs back]. Have crossbred coyotes with dogs. I suspect a few still do. Some people also crossbred wolves to domestic dogs & sold them on the open market[via classifieds].

Can I remark positively 100% fact of what the above canines really are? Well...no LOL!

Also this "Husky" scenario. How many husky's have you seen with this "same coloration"? I have seen quite afew "coyotes" colored the same.

Here is a print of a coydog that once lurked my hunt area. This canine was huge, I seen him 4 or 5? times over 6yr span. Canine was solid dark rusty brown color, with a white underside & was pr'd-up with a female coyote.

Knife handle is 4" long. Print is pushing 4". You ever seen a coyote print that large. Note; the two outer pads are[round, rather than oval or almond shaped]. Most interesting.

ea52fd52.jpg

Some type of hybrid as evident from their build and size.

Wolf? Dog? All possible.

We have them here too.

Largest NY Yote was 75lbs and packing wolf DNA.

They are out there.

Regardless what exactly they are, they were a problem and dealt with accordingly.

They could have collars and tags on and if they are livestock killers then they need to go!

A good work praise goes out to yer friend.

I've seen a handfull of lone feral dogs over my time. They all acted like wild coyotes. Very wary & keeping their distance.
Some say, the odds of a domestic dog breeding a wild coyote. Is a rarity, I'd agree. But happens regardless.

Many yrs ago, my Dad & one of our friends were coyote hunting in Nebraska. As they drove out onto the ranchers land. They kicked up a small group of coyotes out of a large hayfield. In that group was a German Shepherd.

I plan to hunt the area above this Winter snowfly. We'll see what materializes.

Last edited:
Circa 1969-70? My Dad & I went up to Alden, Iowa. To look at a coyote trailhound, a coyote hunting farmer had for sale. After visiting awhile, he told us he had something to show us.

We followed him into his garage. There on the garage wall he had a coyote hybrid pelt hanging. He told us, their hounds ran a coyote into a large stand of trees out in the middle of a section. Well out of the opposite side, came a very large all RED canine. His daughter shot it as it tried to cross the gravel road.

It weighed 75 lbs. Resembled a Red Fox to me, in color. But was enormous. That was the 1st coyote hybrid I ever seen.

Dad bought that farmers hound. Turned out to be a heckuva fox/coyote hound.

Last edited:
Here is another white faced husky? I mean coyote.
b286f5f4.jpg

Another yet? Say it aint so LOL!
0c47fac9.jpg

Same gold, white faced husky as above[lower right canine in this pic].
ebad293b.jpg

One more.
faf6ca92.jpg

Same
abb20751.jpg

Same
1500f0bc.jpg

Last edited:
Kirby nice photos.By the way I have been reading yalls post
and I back you on what you have said about them being hybrids.We all need to keep a open mine on what can and cannot cross breed.

BRIANPREDHUNTER.

Originally Posted By: BrianpredhunterKirby nice photos.By the way I have been reading yalls post
and I back you on what you have said about them being hybrids.We all need to keep a open mine on what can and cannot cross breed.

BRIANPREDHUNTER.

i will agree on that!

Strangest hybrid I ever seen was maybe 4yrs? ago. I was hunting with a friend scanning some hills. A tractor out near the 1/2 mile in a section. Kicked-up a coyote that ran our way, then stopped & stood broadside a tad over 100yrds from us on the gravel road.

I quickly put my binocs on him. As he looked abit odd with the naked eye. Well, this coyote was light colored[cream colored], et it had a dark brown splotch coloration on it's back, rump & head. Otherwise, it was all cream white in coloration.

The other odd, thing was. It had very long flowing body hair. Like a long haired collie. Only seen that canine one other time. Never had a shot either time. Shortly there after, I spoke with two old farmer/coyote hunters. They told me about a trapper whom apparently seen the same canine the previous Winter. About 7 miles to the NorWest. That trapper, remarked to the old farmers. He thought it was a coyote/collie cross. Who knows for sure?, it was quite odd looking. It was large in stature as well.

Last edited:
Here is the coydog's mate print, from above. Taken the same day along the same grassy creek. Although I never laid eyes on her. I figure she was of typical size?, going by her print measurement. I missed seeing them together that morning, by a few hrs.

cdfcadbb.jpg

Back