How to make a good solid set of shooting sticks?

ztc

Im looking for a good solid set of shooting sticks to build, ive googled it and found lots of diffrent ways but im wanting the advice of you guys, something that has been proved in the field. Bipod or tri-pod

I have a couple of pairs that I really like. My new favorite are these:

DSC00040.jpg

DSC00041.jpg

They're made of 48" electric fence posts from Tractor Supply and two 72" boot laces. I've got about 4 bucks and 30 minutes invested and they're rock solid. The braid is the same one everybody uses for lanyards, drags, etc. Downside to these is that they are four feet long.

Here is my other set:

DSC00042.jpg

DSC00043.jpg

These are made from fiberglass tent poles, automotive hose, and a vacuum cleaner belt for the "hinge." They aren't quite as stable as the others, but much more portable:

DSC00044.jpg

Hope this helps

I made a set out of fiberglass driveway markers. They are about 36 inches high and bright orange. I covered them in green gun tape and put 2 tight wraps of 550 cord to act as a hinge approx 30 inches high. They work very well for me shooting from the kneeling/sitting.

I made mine out of the 48" electric fence post as well but mine came from Fleet Farm they are 3/8"dia the orange drive way marker ones are 1/4" dia and are a little springier then what I liked.

I took wooden mop handles, shaved some off with a plane, used aluminum tube material to connect the crossed sticks, with one stick going back to make a tripod, on the rear stick I put on a stick that folds up to connect to the gun stock, giving support to the stock. I can now shoot before I get to the top of an open hill while spot-stalking coyotes.

VarmitAls.com has the measurments to make a really sturdy set. I used an old leather belt cut in half to match the top and tacked and wood glued it to the notch. turned out great. About 4.00 for the wood from lowes.

I've made three sets, all of different heights/lengths for use sitting on the ground, sitting in a low chair, and kneeling...

The most stable turned out to be from a couple of replacement wood push broom handles with a carriage bolt about eight inches from the top to hold them as a pivot point...They are about 5/8" thick and very sturdy, with plenty of room to install a spike in the ends if needed without fear of splitting the wood..

My next set will be for standing with a third leg for stability...Total cost is about $8 for the two handles and hardware..

shooting sticks are nice but, once you go to a camera/video tripod with a gun claw head theres simply no comparison.

I shot stix for years, might still on some coyote hunts but, for my groundhog hunting and stretching yardage no more stix for me.

I have a set of bog gear stix/bipod there pretty nice

Originally Posted By: yotehunter57 Where do you find a gun claw head for a 1/4x20 tripod mount? I've got a tripod I'd use if I could find the U head for a gun.

Shayne

Do a GOOGLE or Yahoo search. thegunclaw.

I just ordered another. They are threaded 1/4x20. They really work well and have top notch build quality. They have some video's up on there website. I did abit of research and this was the lightest least expensive stable set up I could find

Actually an enerprising guy could fab something similar.

I've built something similar for my AR15's with railed forends. I just drilled and tapped 1/4x20 hole in the center of a cheapo ($12.00) AR15 Flattop 1 piece scope riser mount. Flipped it upside down and mounted it the quick removable camera plate on the tripod head. Clamp the lower rail of the forend in close to the magwell and it balances nicely with a 16"bull AR. I plan to mount a 10/22 picatinney scope base to the bottom of a Stevens 200 stock and use this set up also.

Thanks Lenny. I'll search and see what I can get.
Yesterday I split a 2" pvc coupling in half, drilled and threaded it andlined it with a piece of foam(pool noodle shaved thin). I think it'll work for now.

I just made a nice sturdy set out of two plastic steel core planting poles I got at home depot for two bucks a piece. I used castrating bands for the hinge and some rubber grip tape on the ends for the gun rest. Some camo paint and a matte finish and thats that. They are sturdy, very light and cost less than five bucks to make.

Back