Macarthur Didn't Survive It, Will McChrystal

azmastablasta

I love insubordination,especially when properly placed.Here,he merely told the truth.Been guilty many times in my life.Better to suffer the consequences than jepordize your integrity I say. Screwem,McChrystal may well be a candidate soon.

Furious President Obama summons Gen. Stanley McChrystal to D.C.

By GORDON LUBOLD | 6/22/10 7:25 AM EDT

POLITICO 44

The top commander in Afghanistan, Gen. Stanley McChrystal, has been summoned to the White House to explain biting and unflattering remarks he made to a freelance writer about President Barack Obama and others in the Obama administration.

The face to face comes as pundits are already calling for McChrystal to resign for insubordination.

McChrystal has been instructed to fly from Kabul to Washington today to attend Obama’s regular monthly security team meeting tomorrow at the White House.

An administration official says McChrystal was asked to attend in person rather than by secure video teleconference, “where he will have to explain to the Pentagon and the commander in chief his quotes about his colleagues in the piece.”

Both Defense Secretary Robert Gates and Adm. Mike Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, have spoken with McChrystal. Capt. John Kirby, a spokesman for Mullen, said “the chairman spoke to Gen. McChrystal last night and expressed his deep disappointment with the article and with the comments expressed therein.”

McChrystal and his top aides appeared to let their guard down during a series of interviews and visits with Michael Hastings, a freelance writer for the magazine Rolling Stone.

The article, titled “The Runaway General,” appears in the magazine later this week. It contains a number of jabs by McChrystal and his staff aimed not only at the president but also at Vice President Joe Biden, special envoy Richard Holbrooke, Karl Eikenberry, the ambassador to Afghanistan, and others.

McChrystal described his first meeting with Obama as disappointing and said that Obama was unprepared for the meeting.

National Security Adviser Jim Jones is described by a McChrystal aide as a “clown” stuck in 1985.

Others aides joked about Biden’s last name as sounding like “Bite me” since Biden opposed the surge.

McChrystal issued an immediate apology for the profile, advance copies of which were sent to news organizations last night.

“It was a mistake reflecting poor judgment and should never have happened,” McChrystal said. “Throughout my career, I have lived by the principles of personal honor and professional integrity. What is reflected in this article falls far short of that standard. I have enormous respect and admiration for President Obama and his national security team, and for the civilian leaders and troops fighting this war, and I remain committed to ensuring its successful outcome.”

NATO issued a statement overnight indicating continued support for McChrystal despite the “unfortunate article.”

It will be hard for the White House to get past this since the remarks appear to amount to some level of insubordination.

“This general has to be fired; he has to be gone by the end of the day,” said Joe Scarborough, on “Morning Joe” on MSNBC.

“Gates and Petraeus have to come out and fire McChrystal.” They should have already done it — Petreaus and Gates should have already fired McChrystal.”

But analysts who are close to the situation and know McChrystal well believe that while the remarks were wrong, it would be a bigger mistake to let McChrystal go at such a critical time in the war.

“He made a big mistake, but he is a fantastic general, and not only that but a modest man who is respectful of others,” says Michael O’Hanlon, a senior fellow at Brookings.

“That makes these comments even more uncharacteristic and unfortunate," he said. "We need him, and Ambassador Eikenberry, for this effort, and I am confident knowing both men well that they can put these issues behind them for the greater good.”

McChrystal, an expert on counterterrorism and counterinsurgency, has long been thought to be uniquely qualified to lead in Afghanistan. But he is not known for being media savvy.

Hastings, who has covered the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan for two years, according to the magazine, is not well-known within the Defense Department.

And as a freelance reporter, Hastings would be considered a bigger risk to be given unfettered access, compared with a beat reporter, who would not risk burning bridges by publishing many of McChrystal’s remarks.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0610/38837_Page2.html#ixzz0rbCwfcs2

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0610/38837.html#ixzz0rbAxatai

Obama is already thin skinned as a result of his dwindling public support. Too many of his regime's lies and deceptions have been exposed. I doubt if Gen. McChrystal will keep his job,there is no tolerence in Obama's gang for an outspoken and honest general.

You would think a guy with four stars on each shoulder would know how to guard his speech!
It will be interesting to see what the O does. If he keeps McChrystal it tells me he is serious about some kind of positive result in Afghanistan. If he bumps out McChrystal and puts in someone else, it could jeopardize the war. Which may be a convenient way for O to rationalize a failure and get us out of there even more quickly. Who knows...

I have dealt with members of the media on numerous occasions during my career and while most seem to be fairly 'straight',,I've known some that can turn a phrase to suit their intended purpose....While I have no doubt about the General's integrity, and if those were accurate quotes, I'm sure he meant them...but, they are described as being 'out of character' for him, if I read it right..
Quote:McChrystal described his first meeting with Obama as disappointing and said that Obama was unprepared for the meeting.
This is the only thing that is directly ascribed specifically to the General, other negative comments are mentioned with "his staff"... and while he has to display responsibility for their statements....they may not be his...

If I remember correctly, the Rolling Stone writers used to do anything they could to discredit those involved in the Viet Nam fighting as they came across extremely Liberal in those days..

Saying that the President was "unprepared" for a meeting is only embarrassing, but not really derogatory to the point of being fired...Obama, and his staff were really new at the time....but still thin skinned..

My take on this is that the war in Afghanistan is not going well.He is getting no cooperation from Obama.He could stay on and possibly be remembered as the guy who lost the war,or he could simply quit and be remembered as a quitter,or speak his mind and be retired.This administration and all involved will not be looked upon favorably by history.If he were to be removed,his response could always be that if they hadn't been so boneheaded he could have turned the tide.He is too smart of a guy for this to be accidental,I believe he found what he considered the best way out.

McChrystal has problems using good judgement.
First case; He voted FOR obama in the presidential elections. That shows VERY BAD judgement of his part.
Second case; his loose tongue with the Rolling Stones which got printed was a huge case of using poor judgement.
I conclude that McChrystal has a MAJOR problem using good judgement in his professional life.

Originally Posted By: Martyn4802McChrystal has problems using good judgement.
First case; He voted FOR obama in the presidential elections. That shows VERY BAD judgement of his part.
Second case; his loose tongue with the Rolling Stones which got printed was a huge case of using poor judgement.
I conclude that McChrystal has a MAJOR problem using good judgement in his professional life.

My take on this is very different. Gen. McChrystal did not become a four star general by exercising bad judgement or by acting irresponsibly. The Obama crew has spoken highly of our military during photo-ops when it helps in a campain. But,his administration expresses disdain for the military when in the company of it's left-wing base. It is no secret that the left despises our military.

McChrystal is Obama's hand-picked general for the war in Afghanastan. Obama has demonstrated his distaste for the military and the war by all but ignoring his hand-picked general,and the war. Obama Care and the Stimulus Bill were considered a higher priority. After all,the war could wait,and it did. It could very well be that McChrystal is guilty of poor judgement. It could also be that the general has simply placed his concern for the welfare of this nation and his troops ahead of blind loyalty and career.

If only there had been a few generals in Stalin's military as outspoken as Gen. McChystal; the history of the 20th century might have been very different.

McChrystal is now gone and to be replaced by Petraeus. Funny how Chairman Zero couldn't take time out of his golf schedule for six months to meet with McChyristal about troop levels but the man is on a plane back to Washington the day after the story breaks about him criticizing the Communist in Chief. BTW, he didn't get canned for "speaking his mind". He was canned for speaking the truth.

Actually most of the quotes in the RS article come from the General's staff and not McChrystal himself. However he's the commander and he's the one who had to take the fall for their failure to keep their mouth shut.

There will be fallout from this in a number of areas, first the obvious problems it will cause with our efforts in Astan. Secondly there will be unintentional fallout for the media (you do have to love this) That RS reporter has just messed up his magazine and any reporter it sends to the field with the military for decades to come, this won't be forgotten by staff officers everywhere.

cartoon%2010-11%20chip%20bok%2010-11%20gocomics%20mcchrystal%20obama%20larger.gif

Back