Coyote Sightings Prompt City Study-Wisconsin

Calypso

Coyote sightings prompt city study
New Berlin looks to stop animal attacks on pets
By CORISSA JANSEN
of the Journal Sentinel staff
Last Updated: Aug. 15, 2001
New Berlin, Wisconsin - With coyote sightings around the city reportedly on the rise, aldermen have directed that a commission look for ways to curb the problem.

Ald. Paul Lincoln Scheuble, who requested the review, said coyotes have killed pets in the city. As coyotes are emboldened, he said, he worries that small children who wander away from home might be at risk of an attack.

"I don't want to put a bum rap on the coyotes, but if they're potentially taking out dogs and everything, what's to say that if they're hungry, they won't take out a child?" Scheuble said.

Although coyote attacks on humans have not been reported in Wisconsin, a state Department of Natural Resources biologist said the number of reported coyote sightings in southern Wisconsin has nearly quadrupled the past six years.

DNR wildlife biologist Greg Matthews said fast-growing suburban areas are well suited to coyotes because the large, well-landscaped lots are usually home to rabbits, gophers, squirrels or other rodents upon which coyotes prey.

Coyotes are good scavengers and attracted to fruit fallen from trees, food in the trash and even pets and their food, he said. And in many suburban areas, hunting and trapping the animals are illegal.

"Coyotes have it made in suburban areas, so to speak," Matthews said. "And I can almost guarantee you they were there first."

Constituents complain
At a Committee of the Whole meeting Tuesday night, aldermen unanimously approved a Safety Commission review of what other communities have done to solve coyote-related problems. The commission might also recommend action to the Common Council, if it determines that a need exists.

Scheuble said he's lost two cats to coyote attacks the past three years and has received several complaints from his constituents on the western side of the city. He said he's not advocating any particular action, such as hunting the animals.

"There's a natural order, but a lot of that . . . has been disrupted," Scheuble said. "I'm trying to figure out what is the proper balance and have some research done."

The animals have been a regular presence in several areas of Waukesha County in recent years, but some New Berlin officials said they've never noticed a problem.

"In my five years as an alderman, I've never heard a word about this," Ald. Rush Wilkens said.

Police Lt. David Dunn also said police have not received widespread complaints about coyotes.

But in the Village of Pewaukee, a hunter's services were secured this summer to target the animals, with the permission of police and the DNR. And signs in Mitchell Park in Brookfield warn people about the presence of the animals, which have been blamed for attacking pets in the area.

Coyotes grow 'more bold'
Ald. Jack Chiovatero said constituents in his district have reported coyote sightings about once a month, and that one man even offered to go out and hunt the animals.

"I think it is becoming a problem," Chiovatero said, adding that he was shocked to hear that pets had been harmed in the city.

"They're getting more and more bold and finding it easier to live in some of the wooded subdivisions," he said of coyotes.

Resident Richard Hagen also said he thinks a coyote problem is emerging in parts of the city.

"If you don't believe me, just drive down Martin Road at about 11 o'clock - you can hear them," Hagen told aldermen, referring to his southwestern neighborhood.

Matthews said pets are often especially vulnerable to coyote attacks. Coyotes might see a dog as a threat to its territory and will attack, particularly if the dog is running free.

"And cats are high on a coyote's snack list," he added.

To protect pets from a coyote attack, Matthews recommended building secure shelters for them outdoors or accompanying pets outdoors whenever possible, especially between dusk and dawn, when coyotes are most active.

Lights, fences and loud noises also can act as deterrents, Matthews said.

Back