Public Relations, how do you do it?

Critr Gitr

Now that "Public Relations - relationships with ranchers, farmers, and the general public." has been added to this board, let's have a little input.

In this day and age of "No Trespassing, No Hunting, Don't Ask" signs, how do you go about establishing good relations with landowners/farmers/ranchers?

We all know that varmint hunters can get in to hunt land that other hunters are barred from, but how do you establish contact? Then what do you do to cement and maintain those relationships?

------------------
Critr
www.SaguaroSafaris.com

I am relatively new to this (1st year) Predator Hunting, but my grandfather’s voice rings in my head when it comes to this subject and life in general: courtesy (Golden Rule) and honesty applies always.

In researching this for my geography, utilizing this board and grateful input from the members, and following the tips from Varmint Al's "How to Gain Access to Private Land" I have put together a plan that seems to work almost flawlessly – at least for me.

Based on a modified form of one that Doc sent (with input from 13 other members and several state DNR sites), which has the VHA logo (need to get approval), and includes:
1) name, address, phone #, vehicle description, and license plate #,
2) 15 general rules of Varmint hunting,
3) landowner name, address, phone #,
4) landowner permission agreement, and
5) Liability and Indemnification agreement.
NOTE: It is short and on one page.

I went out fully armed with my new and improved Landowner Courtesy Sheet, and a topo and Plat map of the area. I used a number of the 15 general rules of Varmint hunting but mainly “Do not meet the landowner armed or wearing camo”, and using general courtesy and explaining why I was approaching them. I then explained the form, handed them one to read, while holding the other form and the maps.

Of the 12 that I approached and using this format 11 willingly gave me permission and signed the form. We executed two forms, one for each of us. This way the landowner will know if a strange vehicle parked on their property is mine or someone who is trespassing, as well as, they can get ahold of me if they want or need.

Unequivocally, the landowners appreciated giving them this information, at least it proves you have nothing to hide from them and are trying to be responsible sportsman. Most of them then spent time going over the maps, explaining where they have seen coyotes and fox, pointing out highlights, suspect dens, and occasionally giving the names of other landowners in the area to approach. One even gave contact information for his brother who lives in a different part of the state. I also invited each one to join me when I come back to hunt, only 1 said that he would think about it, most others said that they were too busy, but would appreciate keeping informed about progress and actual kills.

I seriously believe that this approach has the potential to give me access to more land than I can hunt, and I may well be the only one given permission to do so.

NOTE: The one that didn’t sign I believe were a bunch of transplanted city-dweller, highteck-techweenies, as there were two Porsches and a Mercedes SUV in the driveway with anti-hunting, anti-gun, and animal rights stickers on them – so I didn’t even stop to ask…….

Critr Gitr,

I think the main thing with getting permission to hunt private property is using good old common sense.

Don't show up on a landowners doorstep at 4:00AM asking to hunt coyotes that day. If the landowner is busy harvesting, calving, haying, etc don't bother him at these times of the year. They might be tired from working 24 hours a day and less likely to feel like doing someone a favor they don't even know. Also don't show up in full camo and face all painted up.

I have found asking permission right after general deer and elk seasons can be a poor time to ask because if the landowner had trouble that fall with other hunters it will still be fresh in their mind.

Treat the landowner like a king because he is king of the property you want to hunt on. If you are on his property and notice fences down, sick cattle, tree's across roads let him know about it. Most ranchers I know are very independent people who resent the government telling them what they can and can't do on their own property so don't ever tell the guy what you think he should do with his own property.

Call or send a thank you at the end of the season letting him know how you did on the predators. Send him some pictures of the critters you took off his land. If it is an especially good piece of hunting land offer to exchange work for rights to hunt. Maybe you are trained in a skill that could help out the landowner sometime. Believe me most ranchers can't understand why we would want to be out in the middle of winter calling coyotes so if you offer them something in return for the right to hunt they are usually very pleased about it.

Treat them well and they will usually do the same back. If you make a good impression with one land owner he will usually tell his neighbors about you making it easier to get permission on other land. Let them know how much you enjoyed hunting on their land and would like to do so in the future.

------------------

I'm new here, so bear with me. I'm a landowner myself. All of the reccomendations stated in the previous post's are right on track. The predation problem we have is enormous. We are an outfitter and make our money with Big Game, Waterfowl and Upland Game. Coyotes, Coons and a myriad of other predators can have a drastic effect on my pocketbook, not to mention on the stock we have currently. Coyotes will eat just about anything as I'm sure you know. I've taken hits on upland game like you wouldnt believe. If you're going to approach a landowner, I'd make sure to point out the benefits of your service. And while your at it, try and do some of the following:

1. Point out problems with the property, like down fences and such. It's tough at times to scour the entire property for the landowner, and you'll probably be going into areas he has'nt been in quite some time, with approval of course.

2. Dont leave carcasses where you shot them, I've had that problem before and by the looks of it, folks who frequent this board would never do the same, but it's a point. All it does is attract more predators.

3. Let him know if you find dead or dying stock.

4. CLOSE THE GATE!...that should be common sense, but some are lacking.

5. Specific times and notification of others in your hunting party. Many of us, especially in Nebraska, have no legal protection from being sued by people injured on our property. No matter if an agreement was signed or not.

6. Dont build anything, ie: blinds unless you have permission of the landowner. Had a guy do that once and the horse I was on almost broke its leg, tossing me headlong into a ditch. Kinda ticked me off.

7. Try to stay on established roads or tracks, tearing up the land is not a good thing.

8. Stay away from equipment and when you take your shot, make sure of your backstop. I've had two trucks and one tractor whacked by over eager hunters.

9. Represent yourself as a professional. Maybe a card would suffice. When approaching the landowner, as others have mentioned, try and appear like you are a concientious kinda person. These guys put a lot of blood and sweat into the land, they dont want some yahoo with no clue on how to conduct himself walking around his land.

Sorry for the long post. Thought it might help. You guys have a great board here.

Red
Lost Mountain Ranch
Paxton, Nebraska

Great suggestions included in this topic.

I’ve spent many an hour helping local ranchers mending fences, picking up trash, and repairing bullets holes in water tanks. All this damage was caused by slobs, slobs that give real sportsmen a black eye.

I’m lucky, in Arizona there is an endless supply of public land to hunt but I hunt a lot of private land too because I’ve proven to the landowner that not everyone who wants to hunt is out to destroy a person’s property.

A good predator caller/trapper can be of tremendous help to a rancher, or farmer; but you must first prove your self. Once you establish that trust, never abuse it.

I can’t encourage predator callers enough to take an interest in getting involved with ranchers, and other private landowners, at the personal level.

You’ll soon find that most are decent folks who work their butts off to make a living.

Just like you and me...
wink.gif

------------------
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

http://www.predatormasters.com

AZwill:

I would gladly post the Landowner Courtesy Sheet for all to use, modify, or do whatever they see as appropriate. I don't know how to post a document within this site or where to put it (careful) either. Let me know, as by the numbers of email requests that I have had I know there is interest.

Either way sounds like a winner to me. When we get our hands on it, I'll make sure all Predator Master members will be able to print them out a copy whenever they like.

We'll make it a regular feature available to members.

Thanks guys...
wink.gif

------------------
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

http://www.predatormasters.com

Shotgun e-mailed his form, actually 4 of them, to me, and I finally figured out how to get them stored in files so i can read them, and copy - paste them. I am not sure the best way to get them from this board, but let's try this.

Highlight what you want.
Right-click on it.
Select copy.
Go to a word-processing program, and paste.
Make modifications as you wish, type in your name, etc. The graphics, bold type, etc., did not copy onto the board, so you have to fix that up in your WP program.

Landowner Courtesy Sheet
Guest My name is:
My home address is:
My home telephone number is:
I very much appreciate your granting me permission to hunt on your property. As an active member in The Varmint
Hunters Association, Inc. I firmly believe in promoting good relations with landowners by conducting myself in a most
professional and safety minded way. This document and list of rules are part of the Landowner Relations Program.
PERMISSION, LIABILITY, AND INDEMNIFICATION AGREEMENT
Permission is hereby granted to the undersigned Guest for the purpose of hunting activities on land owned by the undersigned
Owner. This Permission is granted from ____________, 200_ to ____________, 200_ upon the property of the Owner located
in _____________________________COUNTY, of ______________ State (Owners Premises).
Guests acknowledges that hunting activities on rural property such as the Owners Premises can result in injury or property
damage to the person doing these activities. The many possibilities and sources of injury or damage are acknowledged by Guest,
and comes on the Owners Premises with full knowledge of such hazards. In accepting this permission the undersigned Guest
further agrees to abide and honor the following list of rules as part of the Landowner Relations Program:
1. Always ask permission to shoot on private property.
2. Always leave gates the way you found them.
3. Report any damage you see to the landowner.
4. Select a gun and direction of fire that suits safety. Make sure that livestock, buildings, equipment & people are
nowhere in the field of fire for your gun.
5. Don't drive off of marked roads without permission.
6. Don't drive in wet areas. Be cautious of the roads after rain. Don't drive in areas which you can damage.
7. Report poachers to the authorities.
8. Report game law violations to the authorities.
9. Invite the landowner to shoot with you.
10. Immediately report any accidental damage you cause and make restitution.
11. Do not meet the landowner armed or wearing camo clothing.
12. Ask the landowner if he has special areas he wants you to concentrate on.
13. Always say good-bye, when you are done shooting for the day.
14. Always practice courtesy.
15. Make SAFETY your first priority.
As a part of the consideration for being allowed by Owner to enjoy hunting activities on the Owners Premises, and in accepting
this permission, the undersigned Guest agrees to assume and release the Owner from any and all liability for personal injuries,
property damage or for loss of life or property resulting from or in any connected with the issuance of permission whether or not
due in whole or part to any act, omission, or negligence of the Owner or any of his representatives. Guest understands that
neither Guest, nor his heirs or personal representatives will be able to sue Owner or his associates for any injury or property
damage that Guest suffers while on the Owners Premises.
GUEST HAS READ THIS DOCUMENT, UNDERSTANDS IT AND IS SIGNING IT FREELY AND VOLUNTARILY.
DATED_______________________________ DATED________________________________
GUEST_______________________________ OWNER________________________________

------------------
Critr
www.SaguaroSafaris.com

I copied it from the board, then pasted it in my MicroSoft Word. You need to go through it and redo all the line breaks, edit graphics, and it should look good. To make it a little easier, I will post each version i received under a separate topic heading.

------------------
Critr
www.SaguaroSafaris.com

Correction. There were only 2 versions, one PDF and one Wordpad. They contain the same info, and may be very nearly identical on the board.

The other two were the same, except filled out with shotgun's personal info.

------------------
Critr
www.SaguaroSafaris.com

Shotgun sent me another version. He said that #1 and #2 are essentially the same, and this is a second version. Being easily confused, I posted the latest as #3, and you can look 'em over.......

------------------
Critr
www.SaguaroSafaris.com

Back