Branding dogs, yes or no

Time is the only thing thats diff, some dogs are thick skinned and we go alittle longer, thin skin dogs, alittle less. Times I can't tell ya, cause I'm still trying diff times on diff dogs.
You can hold a freeze brand alittle long, and "burn it". The brand will be just like a hot iron.Works good on white dogs or horses.

I freeze brand all my dogs once they prove themselves, I do their ears cause when someone aproaches the dog they lift their ears towards them and the person can see the brands, I hope you're not talking about hot brands. Mike

what about an all white dogo will they show up i been taking a tattoo gun i found at work (prison) and tattooin my name and number on the iside of there back leg

Bar M, you can freeze brand, and hold long, 30 seconds or so, it will "scald" the hide, and heal bald, like a hot iron.Very visible on a white dog.
Tatoo's are great, just can't be seen at a distance.

CKIron1.jpg

I am thinking that a Freeze Brand and a Micro Chip are in order. Don't know much about either on Dogs.

The Iron above is 3 1/2" tall and 3" wide.

We have that Iron registered in Wyoming on the right shoulder for horses. We shave the hair off as tight as we can get it, wipe with 99% alcohol just before taking the iron out of the liquid nitrogen and applying to the hide. As Duane said the longer you hold the iron the more effect you have on the hair. To kill the pigment and turn the hair white on a horse we hold 20-25 seconds. To completely kill the hair follicles and leave a bald spot on a horse we hold 35-45 seconds. We try to use a stop watch for best results.

Even though the outfit is called Double CK for Craig, Karen, Cameron and Kali, we try to leave a SINGLE CK brand. Sometimes it gets a bit western with a horse. It is really hard to reapply if you miss your time count with out ending up with a DOUBLE CK image (pun intended).

Annie's brand below was on a little long for our taste. You can see that some follicles are killed with some left white. If we are forced to brand on white we hold longer as per above.

AnnieBrand.jpg

Anyone ever tried a freeze brand on a dog's shoulder?

Anyone have any advice on how long to hold on a dog to kill hair pigment?

Any thoughts on what info can/should be put on a microchip?

If you hear of anyone looking for a good paint horse.....

i brand mine on the left shoulder, i try for 10 sec. for a white brand, for a burned brand i just leave it for about 30, mine never turn out like i would like them, sometimes it burns some, sometimes its not enough, but i dont care what the brand looks like so much as i want it on there, my dogs arent show dogs. moses didnt get all white and cleos burned more then i wanted but its on both of them
IMG_4508.jpg

Ryan & Duane, do you shave em tight and use the 99% pure alcohol? The old timer who I learned from on livestock was really cranky about the 99% pure alcohol.

I might have to practice up on some of the neighbors dogs. If I get away with that maybe I should try it on some calves. LOL

You will have to experiment with the brand you have. Some are thicker, which will hold the cold longer and you will not have to leave it on as long. I shave and use alcohol,seems to make a cleaner brand.
I don't Micro chip. They have so many readers, and one where your dog is found may not read your chip. But they are getting better.
Brands are the best way to detour theives.Tatoos and chips are hiden and theives will not see them, they may help with recovery but a brand and a name tag does just as good.IMO

How do you freeze them though? How do you get the iron cold enough to freeze it? I would like to get Tug done, just in case we get seperated while hunting.

I use liquid Nitrogen, 99% ALCOHOL, and shave the hide right to the skin. Devin is right, "all irons are diff".
Ive only branded 20 some dogs, and some horses for other guys, I'm still learning.
I'm happy with any "iron" that is visible.I hope for "white", on a dark dog, but dogs have diff hide, and what is great on one, will burn the next, or not even touch the next.Like I said, "still learnin".

We use liquid nitrogen. I have a small round cooler that is just the right diameter for my iron. You can get liquid nitrogen at many welding supply shops. Many Veterinarians keep it on hand also. Handle with care and don't seal it up without a vent.

I have heard of but never used dry ice or the spray products.

I use microchips in all my dogs and it worked last year when one of my dogs lost his collar. I had him back the next morning. It's cheap insurance. You can get the chip installed here for $25.

The last iron we had made was made of stainless steel. Bill cuts them out on a CNC Plasma Cutter. I you look close you can see that there are actually two pieces welded together to provide the mass that helps hold the cold.

CKIron1.jpg

Before he added the CNC Plasma Cutter he made the irons from Copper. We have had good results from both.

http://www.adlerwelding.com/

Originally Posted By: DoubleCKThe last iron we had made was made of stainless steel. Bill cuts them out on a CNC Plasma Cutter. I you look close you can see that there are actually two pieces welded together to provide the mass that helps hold the cold.

CKIron1.jpg

Before he added the CNC Plasma Cutter he made the irons from Copper. We have had good results from both.

http://www.adlerwelding.com/
how much does a typical iron run? im wanting to brand my catahoula cross here in the next week or two? also was wondering how brands turn out on somewhat longer haired dogs? here is a pic of my brand...
Brand-1.jpg

Back