Need 22-250 load help

Originally Posted By: ackleymanSince we are talking about Maximum book loads, try comparing 4 or 5 different loading manual's Max loads...it's insane.

Seems that way, doesn't it? But if you consider that the books generally state what bullet they're talking about maybe that has something to do with it. I know that the info I got from Berger for my MAGICAL SWIFT (lmao) seems conservative but lo and behold I get great velocity with their load data. Maybe it has to do with bullet hardness or bearing surface.

BTW.....How the heck are ya, ackleyman? I managed to kill a few coyotes and a big daytime bobcat with my new Swift last year. Sweet.

Originally Posted By: ackleymanSince we are talking about Maximum book loads, try comparing 4 or 5 different loading manual's Max loads...it's insane.

Yes.

One of the odd things I learned when I started to reload was that some powders call for less in the brass the heavier the pill......I thought it would be, the heavier the pill, the more powder you need. My friends father told him its not rocket science. I beg to differ. A 55gr. bullet going 3700 FPS is a very small and fast rocket. Care needs to be taken.

The topic of going over max loads always makes me smile. I was asked the other day to look up the max load for a certain caliber with 175gr bullets....one manual says max is 69.9 and the other manual says 75.5gr's so which one is correct????? As Ackman said manuals are guidelines but in our litigious society they certainly cannot say that. I have noticed on more than one occasion that certain manuals seem to take data from other manuals because they match exactly on the starting and maximum charges and with all the variables what are the chances of that happening. I have a treasured piece of memorabilia,reloading data from 1956 that Hodgdon's handed out with their powder which was all surplus military powder that time. Data was compiled by B.E. Hodgdon,Jack O'Connor and a few loads from Roy Dunlap with notes out to the side like"probrably maximum but no pressure signs" or TOO HOT! which was what Jack O'Connor wrote by a load of 63gr of 4831 that gave him 3350fps with a 130gr 270 load. It makes you realize these guys were literally flying by the seat of their pants but using common sense and a watchful eye managed to live long lives with all thier body parts intact.
smile.gif
I cannot quote verbatim but I remember Jack writing that reloading was kinda like driving a car if you had faulty brakes and bad tires you best not be driving high speeds down a crooked highway but with a good safe car you could wind it up a bit and feel safe.His point being that manufacturers don't really know what kind of equipment your using,modern very safe or old worn out military surplus and or some custom cut tight chamber so they tend to error on the side of caution.

Yes sir. I am doing just that right now with a new load. I am trying to make a 60gr VMAX perform in my 22-250 with a 1:14 TR. I have reached the max load and have no signs of it being too hot. I am now going to go up .5gr at a time till I see pressure signs then back off a tad. I like where I am at now but I enjoy learning things the hard way and if I dont try, I will never know if more is better or not. I am only out to 100yds so far and have used 60 rounds to get there. My goal is 400yds. I can already do that with a 55gr. Nosler BT but when the wind picks up, it blows that little pill all over the place. I hope that I get lucky and can shoot the 60gr. @ 400yds and keep my group tight without the bullet canting or tumbling. We will see.

That's one reason why I got me a .22-250 to reach out further and be on target so I know when I do get out to 250-300 yards I will be confident on the shot. I've been shooting Remington UMC's 45gr jhp mostly to break in the gun and get some brass, but want to mostly use 52gr or 55gr just will have to see what happens!

Back