357 magnum Pro's & Con's

I think it was just strain/fatigue,,,shot bugholes for five hours,,set objective,,,and i adjusted the fast focus nice and crisp....so i believe it was as correctly adjusted as it could be..................X

Eye fatigue at the end of the day is the result of either a poorly adjusted/focused scope or binocs...

...or just poor quality glass...

The scope and/or the binocs that look twice as bright as the high dollar brand X scope or binocs does in the store reveals their weaknesses at the end of the day in terms of eye fatigue...

-BCB

You are probably right Bayou,,about the quality of glass,,I have shot my monarchs and redfields for multiple hours without issue.

Yesterday i was shooting and doing tracking tests on a new bushnell doa 600.
holds zero and tracks excellent.

I like the fine cross hair on it for targets/ground hogs but its too fine for coyotes.

Sorry for all the off topic stuff..................X

I think the .357 mag is a great man stopper. I have a Ruger SP101 ready to go at all times, and there is never any stress on the non existent mag springs.

My wife shoots it ok, and she knows how to operate it.

I do wonder why you would want a pistol when you have a shotgun available? In my mind, a shotgun is hard to beat at close range...

Amen
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: KATTRAKERI do wonder why you would want a pistol when you have a shotgun available? In my mind, a shotgun is hard to beat at close range...
This is sooo true!
thumbup1.gif
In house, my shotgun is the first weapon that I reach for, but for a CCW a handgun is the only option.
Unless you have an ample supply of hand granades.
grin.gif

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

Bringing back the issue of ringing ears, I used to shoot IHMSA
(International Handgun Metallic Silhouette Association) competition a few years back and used a S&W Mod. 27 8-3/8 barrel.

I loaded 15.5 grains of Win 296 behind a 170 gr Sierra FMJ. After loading a couple rds., I went out side to check for pressure issues.

One thing I won't ever forget is NEVER shoot any gun in 20 degree weather without ear protection. I have never experienced as much pain as I did that day. I'm sure I lost some of my hearing that day.

As for the 357 as a man stopper, my vote is it's still one of the best even today with all the other calibers available.

Originally Posted By: KATTRAKER
I do wonder why you would want a pistol when you have a shotgun available? In my mind, a shotgun is hard to beat at close range...

I could not agree more and thats why my Mossberg 590A1 SPX 12ga sits next to my side of the bed. I am comfortable with it and like it. She on the other hand is not comfortable with it. She absolutely loathes the weapon.

She has been shooting the Taurus and actually likes it even with the recoil. She "believes" in it already. She just came inside from putting a box downrange outback. What can I say.....she digs the magnum.
thumbup.gif

Last edited:
The best thing about .357 mag is the reliability of a revolver and the fact that .357 guns don't weigh as much as 44magnum . Light enough to pack all day, enough punch for anthing beside an angry bear but even then .357 has killed many bears over the years.

I carry the 10mm glock. About the same power as the .357 maybe just a little more. However I got 10 shots (stupid CA laws 15 shots would be better) Its also very light since its made mostly of plastic. Perfect for packing all day and the recoil is gentle with the semi auto and poly frame to soak it up.

However you don't pick up 10mm ammo at wally world! I was at walmart the other day and they had plenty of .357, that can be important!

I got the 40 conversion barrel and .22lr barrel so I could get cheap practice ammo at walmart.

Originally Posted By: KAG
GC said:
KAG said:
GC said:
KAG,5.... with the hammer resting on an empty cylinder chamber

I would hope that most people are aware that modern guns don't require an empty chamber for the firing pin. That was true with Colt SAAs not today's weapons. Any modern Ruger or S&W can carry a cylinder full w/o safety concerns. Don

Originally Posted By: DonDOriginally Posted By: KAG
GC said:
KAG said:
GC said:
KAG,5.... with the hammer resting on an empty cylinder chamber

I would hope that most people are aware that modern guns don't require an empty chamber for the firing pin. That was true with Colt SAAs not today's weapons. Any modern Ruger or S&W can carry a cylinder full w/o safety concerns. Don

Do you know if this is true for the Taurus 689 series?

I’ll take stab at this… I'm sure the Taurus has a transfer bar mechanism and doesn't need to be carried with an empty chamber for drop safety purposes. Empty chambers are only for drop safety purposes on the older single actions like a Colt's SAA and its copies and the very early Ruger's that haven't been retro fitted. An empty chamber doesn’t prevent an unauthorized person like a child from pulling the trigger or hammer and rotating a loaded chamber in line for firing. That is actually why I asked in the first place about not having a round in the chamber of the double action Ruger semi-auto; it is as safe as the revolver in every aspect with the chamber loaded.

There's an important rule for any gun owner: Know thy gun....

Both it's strength and weaknesses, and most importantly, it's safety features or lack thereof.

Reading the owner's manual shouldn't be a tough thing to do to become familiar with the weapon.. If your excuse is you don't have one, get one from the manufacturer...

-BCB

Thanks for all the input quite a bit was really helpful from 357 owners and insightful. It really helped, thanks again.

I also learned during the course of this post there is an ignore feature......sweet.

Last edited:
I am fond of the .357 magnum mainly because it was the caliber of my first pistol 20 some years ago a Colt King Cobra stainless 6" barrel.Brings me to tears when I see what they sell for now compared to what I sold (gave it away) for.As far as loading your own I like a 140g and 158g Hornady XTP`s with the max recommended charge of Accurate #7 these loads seem a little more "tame" than much of the factory ammo I have shot over the years and accurate as well out of both my Taurus Ti and Colt MKIII both 6". I have not done much reloading for pistols only these two.As someone else mentioned I agree in that I dont think anyone would shrug off a hit from it.As far as the noise I always wear ear plugs when practicing and a personal defense situation maybe the loud blast would be an added plus??

You have a great point DonD I think most know this, and
I agree with you 99.9%, but I couldn't bring
myself to point it at mt leg and hit the hammer with
a hammer, for some reason there's a doubt....I don't
know why but it's there....That's why it's a empty
chamber even on a safe gun.......
My ruger has a transfer bar as well as several others
and my rossi has a hammer block as well as s&w, either
way there all mechanical, there's a chance it could fail.
a empty chamber is my responsibility not Rugers...
sorry I guess it's just a mental problem I have...
besides the empty chamber is the sixth round not the
1st....and I hope if I ever need it as self defence they
don't tell my wife if he had just had 1 more bullet he'd
still be with us......

If you're into protecting your family, don't go shooting a .357. Remember this, a 357 magnum or ever the 38 specials will go through walls. They can injure or fatally wound others in another room. It will also enter your neighbor's house if you opt for the bigger bores like the 41 magnum or 44 magnum. God forbid you want to use the 500 S&W. We used to play tactical games with these guns and the 44 can go through a couple of walls. I have a S&W 1911 45 ACP and that is still too much for personal protection, but I shoot low velocity rounds through it. 8 in the clip and 1 in the chamber. You will be shooting at short range and this weapon can handle the situation. Talk to a reputable gunsmith and pick his mind on what is best

Back