Cast or machined billet lowers?

Brian_Pollock

I was going to build an AR, and I was wondering peoples opinions on what makes a better lower, one machined from billet aluminum or a cast one. Any opinions and why that choice would be great!

Billet lowers are nice, you can get some with a real Tacticool look. I ended up giving my Seekins Precision billet lower to my youngest son and built myself a Spikes Tactical forged lower. From what I've read, the billet lowers aren't as strong as forged, but they're usually beefier to make up for that, not that you need a lot of structure on a lower anyway. All the lower does is hold all the parts together. I don't know for sure one way or the other which is "better", but for the extra cost of a billet, I'd go with a forged lower of your choice and put the money saved into a trigger. Timney or Gieselle.

My .02

The vast majority of AR lowers are forged and then machined, not cast, although there have been a few brands that were cast. I prefer the forged lowers over the billet, mainly because of the looks. Billet lowers tend to look more clunky. That said I am looking at a billet upper and lower set from Iron Ridge arms for a new AR-10 style build.

Cast is junk and there aren't many of them out there. Forgings are the
strongest except for a forged billet that is then machined. 7075 aluminum
is harder and stronger but is not weldable so if you think you might crack the
trigger guard ear off stay with 6065 aluminum.

If you actually find a cast one (it will be old, nobody is making them now) avoid it.
Everything you'll find new will be either forged 7075 or billet.
Go with 7075 either way, and don't break the ear off.
wink.gif

In my opinion, the billet isn't any better than cast, but if you're going for a "look", they've got some very cool ones.
Shoots just the same, and you won't break either one.

I would only go with the billet if you wanted to for the look and I really like high quality AR stuff. I don't have any billet lowers.

My favorite lower seems to be the Spikes lower. But I don't get too hung up on the lower. I bought some Sharps lowers a while back at a great price and they have been excellent.

Most folks get a forged lower with a roll mark and color they like. It it matters to you pick one that will match up to the upper of your choice (color).

Good luck / Have fun

Back